Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
If Pentax doesn't fix the K-5's problems - poor low light AF, incorrect exposures with shoe mount flash, and sensor stains - I will be surprised and disappointed. I really expect that they will fix them.

They've acknowledged the sensor stains. They probably will not say anything about the other problems until they've got solutions. I have no technical knowledge about AF, but my gut feeling is that fixing the low-light AF faults will not be trivial.

If I had already purchased a K-5, I would not be so patient. My plan is to buy in June when I've got the money and when I will be in the US. By then, I hope that the problems will be fixed and that the price will have dropped. If not, I will hold off until my next US trip, which will probably be in December.

Jeff
Jeff: Wise of you. I'll probably be picking up the K5 by June, if not earlier; once I get the feel that all is being addressed and the price point is realistic (i.e., around $1,300). As Rupert said in an earlier post, for $1,599, we expect to having a working device. Cheers. Don

02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
We sort of need to take a big breath and calm down. As a (retired) engineering supervisor, (but not in electronics), i've been on the other side of things several times when a crisis like this occurs, and i can tell you its not fun at all. Initially you get calls every hour from sales people and higher up managers: have you solved it yet?, this is really serious? (like you didn't know that). You finally have to tell the higher ups to get off your back and it;ll get fixed when it gets fixed.

Noone wants to have issues like this and every employee is typically very loyal to the company. So you work long hours, go home, sleep, come back the next day knowing you are still no closer to the answer, and this can go on for months at a time. You beg, borrow and steal whatever resources you can find from other parts of the company. Its exhausting work. But don't consider for a moment that Hoya isn't doing all they can to find an answer.

Look at how long its taken Toyota to work on their acceleration problem, and they are a huge company. Hoya will solve this, but it will likely take time.
Phil: Wise words, and as you say, it will take time. As a couple have mentioned here, the proof is in the pudding. I believe many of us are sitting on the fence and waiting for the storm to pass and all issues resolved. I've got $1,400 in my Paypal account and could pull the trigger on the K5 at any moment, but not just now...maybe in a month or so and with the next production batch. Cheers. Don
02-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
...once I get the feel that all is being addressed and the price point is realistic (i.e., around $1,300). As Rupert said in an earlier post, for $1,599, we expect to having a working device. Cheers. Don
But for $1,300, it's OK if it doesn't work?

(Sorry, couldn't resist that)

Jeff
02-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
As Rupert said in an earlier post, for $1,599, we expect to having a working device. Cheers. Don
I paid $1500 and.....IT DOES WORK. Surprise, surprise.
As I have said before, it is all getting rather boring.!!!

02-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Banned

Bramela: Where there's smoke, there's usually fire as my Daddy was prone to say. What's boring, IMHO, is the continued fanboy defense of a flawed initial product release by a rather large player in the DSLR game. No one's questioning that some working devices are out there, and perhaps the majority. The issue is that there's way too many flawed devices and at a price point of $1,500, that is unacceptable to me and many others who continue to sit on the fence until both device issues and price are addressed. If that's boring to you, so be it. Most of us sitting on the fence with respect to pulling the buy trigger see it otherwise.
02-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Kun en omista peltoa, siksi K-5 parenpi vaihtoehto.