02-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Here is one with FA*85mm at f2.0 also with K-7
Great lotto hit. Love the sharpness :-)

02-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #17

Hi Jake,

Before I got the K5, I was shooting with the K200d and the FA77 and I had to use ISO 1100 and f2.0 to get a 1/350 shutter speed. I did get some good shots but nothing terribly sharp due to high iso and narrow DOF. With the K-5 and the D FA 100 WR, all my shots were at f3.2 to f4.5 and iso ranged from 2000 to 6400. This photo is from the K-5 iso 6400, f4.5, 1/400 sec.

02-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Ron, those volleyball shots are fantastic! Especially that second one, the clarity of her eyes and uniform vs. the backround is really outstanding. You must have been fairly close to the action there if that's only an 85mm, and the shot has that much detail.
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Great lotto hit. Love the sharpness :-)
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Ron, those volleyball shots are fantastic! Especially that second one, the clarity of her eyes and uniform vs. the backround is really outstanding. You must have been fairly close to the action there if that's only an 85mm, and the shot has that much detail.
This was the warming-up before the start of the game. I had groundfloor permission on that series of games.

02-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

AF Mode

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I was under the hoops. I am the only Pentax shooter, I also shoot with Nikon. K-5 did turn a few Canon guys' heads...

I personally think the K-5's AF tracking is a whole lot better than any Pentax I had owned before. DA* 200 is working fine for me, I will be going to a men's game at the beginning of March, I'll test out some faster action. My setting was set to AF-C, speed priority, auto WB, f2.8, 1/400 sec...

By the way, I will be selling the DA* 200mm/2.8 at the beginning of the March after the last game of the season. Just let me know.
Hi Luke,

Did you set the K5 to use just the center 5 points in AF-C? It would be interesting to see if limiting the number of points really does keep the tracking tighter on the subject and faster (which I think is the intent of that mode).

Thanks,

Ray
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Thank you both for sharing your shots. Luke, what ISO were you at? I'd be interested in hearing from you both and others about one thing. Given how high you can go now with the K-5 ISO, have you been tempted to go to f 3.2 or 4.0 with a 2.8 or faster lens to try to deepen your DOF, so that you have less OOF shots?

In theory, you'd like to use 2.8 to get that great subject isolation, but with the older Pentax bodies, the AF was not quick enough, so too many shots were OOF. Given the AF is quicker now, are you less worried about that? Where are you settling on this subject?

Lastly, are you using center point focus, or something else?

I use AUTO AF, Pattern Metering, most of the ISO are at about 500-800, I shoot on TAv mode. Well, I have a few more games left for the season, I will push the K-5 a little harder, maybe give a try at f4 on the DA* 200/2.8, and I will turn up the shutter speed a little higher, and get some high ISO shots...

Will keep you guys posted...
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
AF Mode

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Hi Luke,

Did you set the K5 to use just the center 5 points in AF-C? It would be interesting to see if limiting the number of points really does keep the tracking tighter on the subject and faster (which I think is the intent of that mode).

Thanks,

Ray
hi Ray,

I did 11 Points in AF-C FPS-Priority. I have a few games left, will be doing another game tomorrow night, I will post some more photos...
02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ISU...

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Nice shots, Luke. Is Iowa State going to the tournament this year?

Some comments on this thread:

I've found that the DA*200 has good enough autofocus for basketball, but 300 mm (on a crop camera) is a little bit long focal length wise when I'm under the basket, meanwhile the FA77 is about perfect (at least for when the team you're shooting is on your side) in focal length, but as it's clearly not designed for this task its focus is a little dodgier than the DA*200. As a compromise I usually use the FA77 in the first half and get action photos in context and then in the second half I add close ups and defense shots with the DA*200. On a positive note, the DA*200 worked great for me for football and I think would be good for other outdoor sports like soccer where you can choose your shooting location a little more.

I've done sports shots successfully at f/2.5, but I think if you wider than that you're really pushing it with any camera. It's hard to get people in perfect focus with f/1.8 even when they're standing still.

Personally I think with the K-5, Pentax has achieved autofocus that isn't the best of the best, but it's certainly good enough for most sports photography situations. Where I think they're still lacking is not having a true sports zoom. Even if they just rereleased a fast 50-135 f/2.8 for sports use I think this would help out a lot. (I know Sigma has some options, too, but I haven't tried those, yet)

The good news is that I don't think AF is the problem anymore (although this can always be improved). I think the major problem is lens selection in this particular area of use.
ISU Women should be going to the tournament this year, they are ranked for now. I mainly shooting with D3s, bought the DA* 200 a week ago, and thought to testing it out; will be selling it here as soon as the March comes.

02-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Luke, do find that you get the best results when shooting in Manual?
02-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
TAv

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Luke, do find that you get the best results when shooting in Manual?
you are talking about Manual mode, right? I usually shoot in TAv mode, I believe I set my Manual mode exact as the TAv mode.

I do shoot Manual mode on D3s though.

I am really just using the K-5 and DA* 200 to test out how Pentax is doing with the AF system. I am partially happy with the result, I find that when the players move side by side, I can get a good result on the AF tracking; when the players are coming at me or running away, the AF tracking system would struggle a little bit, I'd miss about 50-60% of the shots.

P.S. following up shots from last night game... the pictures are untouched, except for downsizing for this site...
Attached Images

02-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
you are talking about Manual mode, right? I usually shoot in TAv mode, I believe I set my Manual mode exact as the TAv mode.

I do shoot Manual mode on D3s though.

I am really just using the K-5 and DA* 200 to test out how Pentax is doing with the AF system. I am partially happy with the result, I find that when the players move side by side, I can get a good result on the AF tracking; when the players are coming at me or running away, the AF tracking system would struggle a little bit, I'd miss about 50-60% of the shots.
Yes, I was meaning Manual mode. I've never thought of using TAv... I'll have to try that sometime.
02-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

One more question, Luke, if you don't mind... What is your PP workflow like? I mean, what exactly do you do (editing wise) to your images to make them "presentable?"
02-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PP

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
One more question, Luke, if you don't mind... What is your PP workflow like? I mean, what exactly do you do (editing wise) to your images to make them "presentable?"
I had a contract with ISU, I released all the copyright to them, I let them to do their PP if they will use any of my pictures for their website or prints...

I basically convert the pictures from RAW to JPEG, and send them straight to them. I do some PP for my own use.
02-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Oh, I see... That's really nice for you! Wow, wish I had that kind of situation. The PPing is the part I dislike the most. I mean, the actual shooting is fun for me, but dealing with the pictures afterward is a bear. Mostly because the WB is off and the lighting is always poor, etc.

That's why I was wondering if there is anything to make the PP easier...
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Ron

gee that Fa 85 sure looks the goods..very good image of the girl taking her shot in volleyball