Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
took K-5 and DA* 200/2.8 on a Big 12 Women's game...

Took my K-5 and DA* 200mm/2.8 out to one of my Big 12 Basketball games...

I would say it did decent job, I wish the K-5 have a bigger RAW buffer, glad I had my D3s with me, otherwise I'd miss some shots... oh yeah, the K-5 went freeze on me during the game as well, I had to remove the battery grip and the battery to reset it...

Here are a few pictures I took last night... I converted the RAW files to JPEG with the LR3, don't remember if I did any touch up or not...

Attached Images

02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

Love those shoes. Are those new Nikes?
02-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
Love those shoes. Are those new Nikes?
me too...
the color is so good!

the photos are great! Thanks for sharing!
02-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it's pink all out game to support cancer survivors... it was on EPSN all day on Sunday.

Last edited by luke0622; 02-15-2011 at 10:28 AM.
02-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Banned

It is great colour, or is it purple fringing all over the frames?

How do you feel about the AF during this game with the K-5? AF-c or AF-s used? I know the buffer and the time taking for emptying it is enourmus when you shoot in RAW.

Great serie, thanks for sharing.
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All pro sports/events shooters I have talked to use jpeg only. Many times the object of the exercise is to get the SD/CF card out of the camera and into the hands of the producers as quickly as possible. Often the shooter doesn't even have time to chimp his/her own shots. Mind you, if he/she is a staff shooter with the company paying for the camera, they can't complain too much.
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi Luke,

Very nice photos! Looks like you had a good vantage point. Where you on the court level?

Since my daughter started playing middle school basketball this year, I've suddenly been getting into sports photography. This helped propt me to upgrade from my K200d to the K-5, a major upgrade for this kind of photography.

Could you comment on how useful the DA*200 is for indoor sports when matched with the K-5, as I am considering buying this lens. Also, I'd be interested to hear what camera settings work for you best when shooting basketball.

With the K200d, I had to use my FA77 almost wide open, f2, to get a 1/350 sec shutter speed at iso 1100 for basketball . This last weekend I used the K-5 for the first time, matched with the D FA 100. I was very pleasantly suprised how quick the auto focus was with this lens and how usable the images are at high ISOs!

Here are two of my shots taken with the K-5 this weekend

K-5 ISO 2000 f3.2 1/320 sec

k-5 ISO 3200 f3.2 1/400 sec

02-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
color, I think lol

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is great colour, or is it purple fringing all over the frames?

How do you feel about the AF during this game with the K-5? AF-c or AF-s used? I know the buffer and the time taking for emptying it is enourmus when you shoot in RAW.

Great serie, thanks for sharing.

The AF tracking is fine, it can't compete with D700, I did use AF-C, I took a series of shots on someone driving to the hoop, I believe I missed like 2 shots out of 7 or 8 shots in that series.
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA* 200 is pretty decent for indoor sports...

QuoteOriginally posted by DougLee Quote
Hi Luke,

Very nice photos! Looks like you had a good vantage point. Where you on the court level?

Since my daughter started playing middle school basketball this year, I've suddenly been getting into sports photography. This helped propt me to upgrade from my K200d to the K-5, a major upgrade for this kind of photography.

Could you comment on how useful the DA*200 is for indoor sports when matched with the K-5, as I am considering buying this lens. Also, I'd be interested to hear what camera settings work for you best when shooting basketball.

With the K200d, I had to use my FA77 almost wide open, f2, to get a 1/350 sec shutter speed at iso 1100 for basketball . This last weekend I used the K-5 for the first time, matched with the D FA 100. I was very pleasantly suprised how quick the auto focus was with this lens and how usable the images are at high ISOs!

Here are two of my shots taken with the K-5 this weekend

K-5 ISO 2000 f3.2 1/320 sec

k-5 ISO 3200 f3.2 1/400 sec
I was under the hoops. I am the only Pentax shooter, I also shoot with Nikon. K-5 did turn a few Canon guys' heads...

I personally think the K-5's AF tracking is a whole lot better than any Pentax I had owned before. DA* 200 is working fine for me, I will be going to a men's game at the beginning of March, I'll test out some faster action. My setting was set to AF-C, speed priority, auto WB, f2.8, 1/400 sec...

By the way, I will be selling the DA* 200mm/2.8 at the beginning of the March after the last game of the season. Just let me know.

Last edited by luke0622; 02-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.
02-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
The AF tracking is fine, it can't compete with D700, I did use AF-C, I took a series of shots on someone driving to the hoop, I believe I missed like 2 shots out of 7 or 8 shots in that series.
Wish I could get that from my K7...
02-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you both for sharing your shots. Luke, what ISO were you at? I'd be interested in hearing from you both and others about one thing. Given how high you can go now with the K-5 ISO, have you been tempted to go to f 3.2 or 4.0 with a 2.8 or faster lens to try to deepen your DOF, so that you have less OOF shots?

In theory, you'd like to use 2.8 to get that great subject isolation, but with the older Pentax bodies, the AF was not quick enough, so too many shots were OOF. Given the AF is quicker now, are you less worried about that? Where are you settling on this subject?

Lastly, are you using center point focus, or something else?
02-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Thank you both for sharing your shots. Luke, what ISO were you at? I'd be interested in hearing from you both and others about one thing. Given how high you can go now with the K-5 ISO, have you been tempted to go to f 3.2 or 4.0 with a 2.8 or faster lens to try to deepen your DOF, so that you have less OOF shots?

In theory, you'd like to use 2.8 to get that great subject isolation, but with the older Pentax bodies, the AF was not quick enough, so too many shots were OOF. Given the AF is quicker now, are you less worried about that? Where are you settling on this subject?

Lastly, are you using center point focus, or something else?
Well that is my next thing to do. But i still need a good lens for sports. I have 50-135mm as max for indoor but not yet used it for that.

This one is taken with K-7 and 85mm/f2.5 but still to much background visable.

I sometime use pre-focus and change the focus point quit often during shooting, just with the selectiewheal. For K-7 I stopped at iso1250, but for K-5 I already used iso6400

This one is with K-5 and iso6400, but 21mm/f5
02-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Luke. Is Iowa State going to the tournament this year?

Some comments on this thread:

I've found that the DA*200 has good enough autofocus for basketball, but 300 mm (on a crop camera) is a little bit long focal length wise when I'm under the basket, meanwhile the FA77 is about perfect (at least for when the team you're shooting is on your side) in focal length, but as it's clearly not designed for this task its focus is a little dodgier than the DA*200. As a compromise I usually use the FA77 in the first half and get action photos in context and then in the second half I add close ups and defense shots with the DA*200. On a positive note, the DA*200 worked great for me for football and I think would be good for other outdoor sports like soccer where you can choose your shooting location a little more.

I've done sports shots successfully at f/2.5, but I think if you wider than that you're really pushing it with any camera. It's hard to get people in perfect focus with f/1.8 even when they're standing still.

Personally I think with the K-5, Pentax has achieved autofocus that isn't the best of the best, but it's certainly good enough for most sports photography situations. Where I think they're still lacking is not having a true sports zoom. Even if they just rereleased a fast 50-135 f/2.8 for sports use I think this would help out a lot. (I know Sigma has some options, too, but I haven't tried those, yet)

The good news is that I don't think AF is the problem anymore (although this can always be improved). I think the major problem is lens selection in this particular area of use.
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I've done sports shots successfully at f/2.5, but I think if you wider than that you're really pushing it with any camera. It's hard to get people in perfect focus with f/1.8 even when they're standing still.
absolutely true, going wider then f2.5 is pushing it and you end up with just a limited number of good pictures. I use f2.0 some of the time and even f1.4 but that is more kind of buying a lottery ticket.

Here is one with FA*85mm at f2.0 also with K-7

Then again, when you win the lottery, you'r always a happy men.
02-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Took my K-5 and DA* 200mm/2.8 out to one of my Big 12 Basketball games...

I would say it did decent job, I wish the K-5 have a bigger RAW buffer, glad I had my D3s with me, otherwise I'd miss some shots... oh yeah, the K-5 went freeze on me during the game as well, I had to remove the battery grip and the battery to reset it...

Here are a few pictures I took last night... I converted the RAW files to JPEG with the LR3, don't remember if I did any touch up or not...
Love the first shot. She looks about 12 feet tall as well as having almighty shorts!!!