Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Movie mode and old manual lenses?

I bought K-5 because it offers good movie mode and I have good Pentax lenses already. So far we used K10D. My biggest disappointment with our(my wife is a good photographer too) new camera is that K-5 do not AF while filming. I think I can live without it and maybe it becomes available through firmware upgrade(not too optimistic though).
So using manual focusing will be the future for me.
So my initial solution to very fast-short focus rings in new SMC lenses is to use old lenses that have much better and smoother manual focus. I got few of these but none of them work really.
The best working one is Auto RIKENON 1:1.4 55. In full manual settings all is well. Only this is not the best glass.
PORST 1:1.2 Color Reflex MC Auto does not work really. F--- is displayed most of the time and operation will not start (I have *Using Aperture Ring* permitted). However i got few times it to work and able to shoot few sec. until it freeze the camera. And this lens have the most beautiful *bokeh* on film. Otherwise I never liked it too much for photo.
EXAXTA 70-210 MC Macro works half of the times. It will behave like the Porst but not so often.
So I wonder if any of you have clue why these differences.

02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Only the nikon d3100 has AF while filming and its terrible. I think most videographers use MF anyways. So it wont become available through firmware, maybe on the next model.

I know that when you are taking photos with those lenses they should work at all apertures in manual mode, using the green button for metering. If you put the camera in Av mode the lenses will work and the camera will do the metering and set the shutter speed automatically but only for the lowest aperture so either 1.4 or 1.2 for the Rikenon/Porst, any changes you make to the aperture setting must be done using the aperture ring on the lens. In Av mode the camera will only read the aperture as being the lowest regardless of your aperture ring setting, in Manual mode whatever aperture you set the ring to will work.

Im not sure how this works for filming but I would bet that you have to change the aperture manually on the lens.

Last edited by Deimos; 02-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
02-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!
The problem with these lenses is that the camera becomes uncooperative on filming. Other modes work as they should.
BTW Nikon D7000 supposed to do AF while filming as well.
02-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
I found the problem with old lenses like these. Some of these have coating that isolates the contacts of the camera body. This will not allow camera to detect lens at all. By applying a peace of aluminum tape on to the area where the opposite contact would be on the AF lens you solve the problem.

02-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
Thanks!
BTW Nikon D7000 supposed to do AF while filming as well.
If you've seen the results of AF during video on the D7000 you wouldn't ever use it.
02-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
If you've seen the results of AF during video on the D7000 you wouldn't ever use it.
As I am getting more used to manual focusing and different lenses I find the lack of AF quit acceptable.
02-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Kannattaa ostaa oikea videokamera ja opiskella sen käyttö.

02-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
What are you talking about? Manual lenses all work in video mode like they should - no idea what "works best" means or "works half of the times" is. I have all possible manual lenses and never had any issue with any of them.

Are you sure the contacts of the camera/lenses are clean? Can you be more specific how the movie mode fails?

Hope you get this sorted out soon!
02-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
I bought K-5 because it offers good movie mode and I have good Pentax lenses already. So far we used K10D. My biggest disappointment with our(my wife is a good photographer too) new camera is that K-5 do not AF while filming. I think I can live without it and maybe it becomes available through firmware upgrade(not too optimistic though).
So using manual focusing will be the future for me.
So my initial solution to very fast-short focus rings in new SMC lenses is to use old lenses that have much better and smoother manual focus. I got few of these but none of them work really.

So I wonder if any of you have clue why these differences.
This is strange. I was thinking if I used it before, I did on K-7, but don't know about K-5. So M35mm/f2 on it and it just works fine in moviemode. Also used before FA*85mm with extensiontube before (having an aperturering on the lens is a good thing).

So, It should work!
02-28-2011, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Kannattaa ostaa oikea videokamera ja opiskella sen käyttö.
Could you please stop trolling video discussions.
03-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
What are you talking about? Manual lenses all work in video mode like they should - no idea what "works best" means or "works half of the times" is. I have all possible manual lenses and never had any issue with any of them.

Are you sure the contacts of the camera/lenses are clean? Can you be more specific how the movie mode fails?

Hope you get this sorted out soon!
This is with K-5.
It appears that some lenses have the lower glass *shaft* just a bit longer and rubs against one metal part in the body. Thus does not allow the contacts engage properly every time. You just can not mount the lens all the way every time and thus the non consistent problems.
I machined down a bit of that metal ring on the lens and now all is well. By adding a piece of tape I described earlier just pressed the contacts down properly. Apparently no electrical reasons to this.
BTW my Porst 55/1,2 makes beautiful *bokeh* on video too aside its nice smooth focus ring.
03-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Ei millään pahalla, mutta kyllä videokameralla saa loistavia videoita. Vaikka käyttäisi paljasta automatiikkaakin. Voihan sitä silti pitää K-5 valokuvauksessa.
08-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #13

Sharp lens in movie mode. It as important as in photos to have sharp lens for Movie? I'm asking this because we can find those M Lens at F2 or F2.8 which for photography are not considered top performs because they are a little bit soft wide open, but, at movies does that really maters?? f not we can buy some very good Manual focus lens at a very low price.
08-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #14

You don't need as much sharpness as photography as the maximum definition is like 1/4 of your photos (max 1920x1080 vs 4000+), and some (short) out of focus moments are acceptable in video while it's not in photo.

If you shoot wide open (F2/F2.8) you may have difficulties to stay focused cause the DOP will be very short, and the screen is not always big enough to see if your focus is perfect.
But you'll get such beautiful videos, you'll forget about it.
If you shoot at like f8 or more, focusing becomes easier, and you could just rely on the distance printed on the lens instead of watching closely the screen.

A fully manual lens is perfect as the k-5 will adjust the exposure while you open/close aperture which brings a feature you won't have with auto lenses (you can only adjust aperture before shooting, or let it auto which is bad).

Manual focus is really easier with large adjustment range vs autofocus lenses where focusing ring is not really intended to be used .

I have a ricoh M50F2 and a smc pentax A50F2, the 2nd one is supposed to be much better than the 1st, but believe it or not, i prefer the ricoh, cause the focus ring has a different range which makes it easier/quicker to focus, and i run both in M mode so i keep a hand on the aperture while shoot. for info ricoh=20€ smc=50€ ( and they are killer primes for video)

I like the way the k-5 behaves when you turn the aperture ring while shooting, it adjusts but is overexposed during a short moment which looks like 35mm movie film camera stops (white flash), very nice...

The only lack of k-5 to me is you can't adjust iso/shutter in video for now ( and a 48/60 fps 720p for slow mo experimentations)