Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Don't upgrade your Mac!

I'm an Aperture user. I just upgraded to Apple's new raw converter that includes the K5. The results are horrendous. The conversions all have a washed out pink/purple tone that no amount of adjustment corrects. I've attached copies of the same photo with the old conversion and the new conversion. The raw image was a DNG.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by JohnCCF; 02-17-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add images
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Original Poster
I switched to PEF from DNG and took a couple of shots. The results are excellent. The problem is only with DNG files (every picture I've taken since I got the K5).
02-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the same thing with high ISO shots from my K-x since I got it a couple of years ago. I can usually fix it with auto levels in aperture. If not I run it through the crappy pentax software.
02-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, I saw this too, horrible magenta overcast and compressed dynamic range: but mostly with flash photos.

I updated the RAW software, and I'm leaving the old .DNGs "processed with an older version of Apple's RAW processing".

Going to to check out how new .PEFs look soon.

02-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

JohnCCF, I have not seen this problem with DNGs. I'm using Aperture 3. What are you using?
02-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm using aperture 3, and it was fine until I installed Apple's newly released raw camera update this morning. I've found that with manipulation I can get a good image. Enclosed is an image as processed by the new raw converter. I turned down the hue boost in raw fine tuning, applied auto levels, and adjusted the luminance levels and saturation to get the second image. It's acceptable, but I would prefer not to go through that. Again, this is only a problem with DNGs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a long standing bug with the Apple RAW decoder. It affects all camera brands. The problem for Apple is it doesn't affect everybody. Some people have even reported that the new RAW update fixes the color shift problem. One thing you could try is switching from sRGB to AdobeRGB in the camera. Another thing to try, download the RAW Update from Apple and reinstall. Sometimes it's Software Update that messes things up. You could also try Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1357

02-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

John -- I found that in "curves", hitting the autocolor button gave me back some of the dynamic range that had been compressed with the RAW reprocessing. However, I can't get it back to a nominally-processed generic .DNG file from before the update.

But that's just for one photo; others seem to be fine to update. At first I thought it was just flash photos, but I can see from your shots that's not the case.

Bleahrg.
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
I've been playing with this a little. A couple of weeks ago I took a number of pictures of my grandson, all DNG's. I started at ISO 800, and switched to ISO 1600 for the last few. The ISO 800 photos all convert with the magenta cast. The ISO 1600 photos don't. They look much better. I have no idea why this is. All of the photos used AdobeRGB.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder if this is somehow a mishandling of the fact that a typical Bayer pattern has two G elements for each R and B element? Maybe the Apple RAW converter is "double-correcting" for the extra G?
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is a long standing bug with the Apple RAW decoder. It affects all camera brands. The problem for Apple is it doesn't affect everybody. Some people have even reported that the new RAW update fixes the color shift problem. One thing you could try is switching from sRGB to AdobeRGB in the camera. Another thing to try, download the RAW Update from Apple and reinstall. Sometimes it's Software Update that messes things up. You could also try Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.6
Yep, I've seen it since I got my K-x about a year ago. For me it is more common with higher ISO photos and rarely if ever,with ISO 100-3200. I don't think that repairing permissions or a reinstall would help. I usually hit auto levels and auto-curves when this happens and it gets it close. I've gone to going Raw+Jpeg when shooting at higher ISO just in case.
02-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep same issue here (DNG). WTF are Apple playing at !!
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Yep, I've seen it since I got my K-x about a year ago. For me it is more common with higher ISO photos and rarely if ever,with ISO 100-3200. I don't think that repairing permissions or a reinstall would help. I usually hit auto levels and auto-curves when this happens and it gets it close. I've gone to going Raw+Jpeg when shooting at higher ISO just in case.
Its occurring at all ISO levels for me. Not just high ISO.
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #14

It is only due to tha latest Raw Support update and affect the DNG's both from the camera and converted from PEF via Adobe DNG converter.
Until the latest update the DNG files were fine (no support for PEF) and now it is the other way around, the PEF are ok and the DNG's are rendered out with that fancy purple colour.
I've tested on two different machine updated separately, the second 8 hours after the first and the result is exactly the same.
Ario
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi

Same here, but all my magenta casts are only on ISO800. I may have some ISO800 pictures that are OK, but it's too time consuming to look.

(Just to be clear, it's not an Aperture problem, but an OS one. Preview and iPhoto are the same. However, Finder displays it OK...)

Rich