Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Cr@p, found this thread after applying the update...is there a way to convert from DNG to PEF? I know DCU can convert the other way, but that doesn't help now...

02-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Aina uusi päivitys tuoo parenpia ominaisuuksia.
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ario arioldi Quote
Yes the raw file support is part of the OS; most probably the finder will just use the embeddeb jpg, so there is no rendering problem due the bug in the raw support.
Took 11 shots at my son's gym w/flash. 8 at ISO800, 3 at ISO280. 2 of the ISO800 processed nicely and the rest had the magenta cast. Unfortunately just shot raw. The previews looked normal so i did my usual and deleted the originals from the SD card. Oops! Bad move. But since two did work out there still seems to be some random element involved.
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Does this particular problem affect PEF's and DNG's? Previous problems with colour casts have, is this one any different?

02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Workaround

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Took 11 shots at my son's gym w/flash. 8 at ISO800, 3 at ISO280. 2 of the ISO800 processed nicely and the rest had the magenta cast. Unfortunately just shot raw. The previews looked normal so I did my usual and deleted the originals from the SD card. Oops! Bad move. But since two did work out there still seems to be some random element involved.
Just found a solution if you have Photoshop or PSE. I exported the magenta DNG to the desktop and the preview was fine. Opened it both Adobe products, saving back in the same folder as a *.tif file. When I imported this back into Aperture, the cast was gone. Seems like a painful expletive deleted solution but at least a work-around. Or, I suppose, any other other conversion process. Interestingly, the two posted snaps at converted to '.jpg's so I could attach them and the cast is still there.
Attached Images

02-28-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #51

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Does this particular problem affect PEF's and DNG's? Previous problems with colour casts have, is this one any different?
This problem just affects K-5 DNG files. If you take PEF's, they are fine.

If you don't reprocess old DNG files (previously processed under 3.5), they will be O.K. I have upgraded to 3.6 and changed to PEF and it works well. I just make sure I don't select the reprocessing of the old DNG photos in the adjustments section. Make sense?
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
This problem just affects K-5 DNG files. If you take PEF's, they are fine.

If you don't reprocess old DNG files (previously processed under 3.5), they will be O.K. I have upgraded to 3.6 and changed to PEF and it works well. I just make sure I don't select the reprocessing of the old DNG photos in the adjustments section. Make sense?
This has been my approach.

02-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Just found a solution if you have Photoshop or PSE. I exported the magenta DNG to the desktop and the preview was fine. Opened it both Adobe products, saving back in the same folder as a *.tif file. When I imported this back into Aperture, the cast was gone. Seems like a painful expletive deleted solution but at least a work-around. Or, I suppose, any other other conversion process. Interestingly, the two posted snaps at converted to '.jpg's so I could attach them and the cast is still there.
Interesting. That was the kind of rubbish conversion I was getting on my high ISO K-x DNG's before 3.6, with 3.6 now it's OK. Adobe have (not surprisingly) nailed DNG conversion, but to Apple is seems illusive; they fix it for one camera and break it for another.
02-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Päivitän aina Mac kun tulee uusi versio.
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Looks like 10.6.7 and/or Aperture 3.1.2 fixes this problem.
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Ugh! I'm having problems with the magenta cast too! It's only on pictures that are in the range of ISO 200-800. I upgraded to Aperture 3.1.2 but that didn't fix the problem (or maybe it did but my pictures are all still colored). I'm installing OS X SL 10.6.7 now.

Unfortunately, I deleted the photos from my card as soon as I finished uploading, so does anyone know if Aperture will fix the problem or do I have to go in and manually edit each photo?
03-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #57

Original Poster
The new upgrades fix the problem. However, the photos I changed to fix the problem, either using auto curves or auto levels, had a green cast instead of a magenta cast. I had to reverse my previous fixes. Now they're fine.
03-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Oh, the OS X update fixed the problem! Yay.