Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What is this %$&#?* (No. 1)?

OK, these are just a couple of test snapshots, but they are representative of a fair number of shots with similar results. I've included two because two different lenses are used (Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8). It may be useful to point out that shots taken at the same environment using the 18-55 WR kit lens are somewhat better.

I have no idea as to what is going on here, unless I'm suffering badly from the known artificial light FF problem. The thing is, from what I've read, the FF is not so bad that it should yield the results shown here. I could be mistaken.

I have not performed any focus calibration for my lenses (yet), but again, these results are so bad that I can't help but think that something else is going on here. But again, I could be mistaken.

Another question (more to come): why does photome show Exposure Program to be "Creative program (biased toward depth of field)" for some shots, while showing "Normal Program" for others, when nothing was changed between the shots?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images

02-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see anything in your two samples that looks remotely focused. Two things to try. First, make sure you are using the focus point you think you are (mine is fixed to center point AF). Second, try Live View for autofocusing. It isn't a fix but it works if you have a FF issue.

02-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to second the focus issue, make sure you have the correct focus point selected and try using a flash to eliminate any potential for shake. The images may be awful, but it should prove a point.
02-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The second picture indicates to me that it isn't a matter of focusing on the wrong object. The camera has nothing to focus on in front of the subject, yet neither she, nor anything behind her is in focus. In the first shot, it looks like maybe the chrome cabinet handle on the right of the frame, in front of the woman, is in focus.

02-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It would be helpful if EXIF info wasn't stripped from the photos!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Looking at the shadows cast of the woman, I'm guessing a flash Was used.

02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That is why some of us are more upset then others.

My camera will produce something like that if used at the wide end of a normal zoom lens. It pretty much sets focus at 1-2m no matter how far away the target is. Add a little light or zoom in to around 40-50mm and it will suddenly wake up and focus just fine.

OR you have another problem, to little information to tell.

02-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That is why some of us are more upset then others.

My camera will produce something like that if used at the wide end of a normal zoom lens. It pretty much sets focus at 1-2m no matter how far away the target is. Add a little light or zoom in to around 40-50mm and it will suddenly wake up and focus just fine.

OR you have another problem, to little information to tell.
With my K-5 (any one of 3) in dim light my DA12-24 would FF 3-5 feet. Add a little more light and suddenly all was good.
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Another question (more to come): why does photome show Exposure Program to be "Creative program (biased toward depth of field)" for some shots, while showing "Normal Program" for others, when nothing was changed between the shots?
If using Hyper-program "creative program" settings will only be used until you change shutter speed or aperture and go into Hyper-Av or Hyper-Tv.
In Hyper-Av or Hyper-Tv the camera will use "normal program".

To be able to shift exposure and still use "creative program" you have to set the P-mode to program-shift.
02-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Banned

Citron Don here: Don't be criticizing the k5, ya'll. Don't ya'll know it's user err. LOL
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What flash are you using? Does it have AF assist? It looks to me like the camera hasn't properly focused because the areas you were shooting in were too dark.

From what I understand, the FF problem pops up when people are shooting at apertures wider than f/2.8 and don't really have so much to do with flash. This is a problem of missed focus, for which the camera may be partially responsible, but I don't believe it's related to that FF problem that's received so much attention.
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For the right picture ... Without the focus assist light my K-5 would severely Front Focus when focussing in that ambient light.
02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #13

My K-r pics looks like this under tungsten light, try using -10 autofucus fine tunement and set white balance to tungsten light.

If you get better results then you know it's frontfocus. Use liveview as reference.

Is this not the kind of FF that everyone's experiencing?
02-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Judging by all the comments...

...it sounds like it could be the artificial light FF problem after all. I was under the impression that the FF error was in the range of a few centimeters, but evidently that is not the case. I must agree with those who take a strong stance on this issue, as it presents severe limitations.

For what it's worth, I always use the center focus point, and I make sure that focus confirmation is on (I've set it to not fire when out of focus anyway). Also, flash (Pentax AF540) was used, and I believe the focus assist beam functioned - it certainly was dark enough for it to be invoked.

The suggestion to use Liveview brings me to another problem, where LV seems to sometimes not work. I've already seen a post to that effect, so I will not touch on that here.

All we can do is hope this problem can be cured via a firmware fix.

Thanks for all the responses.
02-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #15
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure it explains things

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If using Hyper-program "creative program" settings will only be used until you change shutter speed or aperture and go into Hyper-Av or Hyper-Tv.
In Hyper-Av or Hyper-Tv the camera will use "normal program".

To be able to shift exposure and still use "creative program" you have to set the P-mode to program-shift.
I understand, but I have consecutive shots, all showing identical aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings, but with the Program descriptions alternating, as mentioned. The only thing that comes to mind as possibly being relevant is that I sometimes accidentally turn one of the wheels, so I hit the green button to revert. But how would this explain going from Normal Program, to Creative, and then back again to Normal on the next shot (and Creative again on the next one after that)?