Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #1

Pentax K5 Battery Issue

Hey Folks,

I few days ago I upgraded from my K20 to the K5. I've never had an issue with the K20 and have been a loyal pentaxian. Even though I have charged my factory battery for 10s of hours whenever I put it in and turn the camera on it will show a full battery. Then I will attempt to autofocus, and before I can even press the shutter down the battery shows zero and the camera turns off. On other occasions, it has taken a picture in manual mode but only black shows up. I'm using a DA* lens with the camera so I dont think it will be a compatibility issue. Does this sound like a straight battery issue or is there something I am missing that could be an easy fix.

Thanks for all your help.

02-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you got a bad battery. It happens sometimes. Maybe the charger is defective and not actually charging the battery correctly. If the camera is very new, I'd contact the retailer and return the entire unit. There is a possibility that the camera has a problem and this could take 1,2 or 3 parts returns if you send back one peice at a time.
02-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Generic batteries cost about $15. I would start there.
Scratch that, I'd see if they would send a battery and charger. If not, return it all.
02-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would exchange the entire outfit for another one. Then get a couple generic spares and a wall hung charger.