Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
is the stain issue history now?

02-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say it's history - there are likely to be K5s with them in the wild. But it's a known, documented issue; easy to detect, and will be repaired by Pentax.

I wouldn't let the stained sensor issue deter you from getting a K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
If you buy from a high volume dealer like B&H or Adorama, I'd bet all of there stock is of the post-stain variety.
02-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Give it at least a year for its RRP to come down significantly, or just pick up one now, ensuring no sensor stain, and enjoy its benefits from the start...
+1

If you are going to wait a year, the K-5 will be considered old and you might as well wait for the next model, and then well, you'll probably want to wait a couple months until that new model's problems are solved.

02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
Having read through all the threads about the k-5 issues, I am starting to wonder if now is the right time to pull the trigger and purchase the k-5 or wait a bit. The problems do not seem to be so major enough as to change my mind about this purchase. I mean is any machine ever perfect? No. Then again maybe it would be good to give Pentax a couple months to resolve some of the known issues.

One thing is certain -- will be buying by early May as we are going on a mini-vacation later in the month. So there is time to wait a bit, but if it isn't going to matter than maybe having a bit before our vacation would be good as there would be time to use.

Thoughts?
if you wait..make sure you get it early april. then you will have a month to get used to it,,what body are you coming from?..if its a K7. then the learning curve will not be as big as all the button placement are in the same place...

I upgraded from a K7...no regrets at all...the low noise of the K5 is a real treat at High ISO..the DR is a leap in front of my old body as well.....the images that I now take just look richer in every department .

FF in lo light may affect you, it may not, depends on the lens in use and the DOF .

I really cant see them coming down in price much...not in the short term anyway
02-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So whats the latest news with the FF issue right now?
Is pentax working on a fix or what?
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
So whats the latest news with the FF issue right now?
Is pentax working on a fix or what?
Here's my latest news on the FF issue.

If I set up batteries and focus charts and measurements I can get my K-5 to front focus. As an experiment tonight though, I set my DA 70 Ltd to f/2.4 in Av mode and walked around my house in all kinds of tungsten light levels. It's after dark and just regular house lights are on, some rooms just a single lamp, others a wall is flooded. A pretty good representation of various tungsten conditions you may encounter. I took about 50 shots of just random things, and I didn't get one that I would say the item I intended to focus on is out of focus. stainless steel surfaces, bottles with writing, pictures on the wall, people, dogs, etc. Not one was out of focus.

Others will say it is more apparent at f/1.4, where the depth of field is very shallow, and they may be able to produce this, but for all practical purposes for me, it is a non-issue.

Look through your photos. If you can find any with an aperture of 1.4 and a shutter speed of at least a second, be more concerned about it, but if you don't shoot in those conditions, just stop all the hand wringing and enjoy the camera.
02-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

Buy, Buy, Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(O.K. I'm an impulsive buyer....)

02-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote

If I set up batteries and focus charts and measurements I can get my K-5 to front focus. As an experiment tonight though, I set my DA 70 Ltd to f/2.4 in Av mode and walked around my house in all kinds of tungsten light levels. It's after dark and just regular house lights are on, some rooms just a single lamp, others a wall is flooded. A pretty good representation of various tungsten conditions you may encounter. I took about 50 shots of just random things, and I didn't get one that I would say the item I intended to focus on is out of focus. stainless steel surfaces, bottles with writing, pictures on the wall, people, dogs, etc. Not one was out of focus.

Others will say it is more apparent at f/1.4, where the depth of field is very shallow, and they may be able to produce this, but for all practical purposes for me, it is a non-issue.

Look through your photos. If you can find any with an aperture of 1.4 and a shutter speed of at least a second, be more concerned about it, but if you don't shoot in those conditions, just stop all the hand wringing and enjoy the camera.
Ok good to know Greg, so it sounds like the FF issue isnt as big an issue as its made out to be...
02-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just sold my K7 recently and ordered the K5 from B&H. The better ISO capability was the deciding factor, but not because I particularly take pictures in low light situations. I needed the improved capability because of a family hand tremor. Being able to up the ISO and the higher shutter speeds it allows, helps balance out the tremor. I don't want to be tethered to a tripod or monopod all the time. The K7 is a great camera, but its dynamic range was frustrating at times, even with bracketing exposures. The dynamic range of the K5 is said to be much better. And to keep the K5's issues in perspective, the documented problem of shutter blurr with the K7 does not seem to be hampering it's resale value.

I too was nervous about the problems, but it was either the K5 or having to move over to Nikon and their VR lenses. I love the Pentax glass that I have and that was what made me stick with Pentax. If the focus issue turns out to be a manufacturing defect, Pentax will have to make good on the cameras or face an unpleasant market response for their lack of response. I thought long and hard about the Nikon D700. If I'd sold all my Pentax gear I could have swung it along with a couple of zooms, a dedicated macro lens and a fast 50mm. Two things made me go with the K5. One was that the K5, even with having dx sensor, matched up image wise with the D700. The other reason was that most of Nikon's primes do not have VR and I doubt their VR zooms (the ones that I could afford at least) can match the image quaity of the Pentax's limited lenses. I'm not saying that $1468 is not a large amount of money, it is, but when you compare it to the cost of the D700 ($2349 at B&H) and the cost of the Nikon lenses to replace what I already have with the DA* zooms and the FA limiteds it was a no brainer. Spring is almost here on the West coast and I want to be camera ready to greet it :-)
02-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Ok good to know Greg, so it sounds like the FF issue isnt as big an issue as its made out to be...
I hope you're wearing your asbestos underpants, because the flames will be pretty hot shortly.

To be clear, I am not saying that the FF issue is someone's imagination or it doesn't happen under specific conditions. I am saying that for many people, including myself, it won't be noticeable.

For some people it is an issue. For those that do close-up work in low light, where the DoF is razor thin, it is a concern and those people would be correct in having some trepidation. But for the 95% of us that don't shoot under those conditions, my opinion is that it is a non-issue. You'll never notice.
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yeah dont worry, everything i read is taken with a grain of salt
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #28

I pulled the trigger as soon as I thought the stain issue was resolved (didn't want to deal with Pentax Canada ;p). I upgraded from a K10d and am very happy to have done so. It was getting harder and harder to be motivated to go take pictures knowing that the same shot would benefit from new gear, and the K5 has rekindled my desire to go sniping.

At the time I was considering a system switch, but the Nikon D7000, Canon 7D, Canon 60D and Sony A55 felt wrong in my hands and I didn't want the larger size (and cost) of a full frame - much as I like shallow DOF and big viewfinders. I had a small investment in Pentax glass which also helped sway me to the K5. The K5 fits me like a glove and makes me want to go shoot.

I patiently waited for the right Pentax for me and I think the K5 is it. I bought both a K100Ds and K10 used for dirt cheap and swore I would always wait and by yesterday's tech for cheap when it came to DSLRs. The last new SLR I bought was the Pentax MZ-5n (film) in 1999. The K20 was very tempting, but I waited. The K7 - even more tempting, but I wasn't thrilled with the sensor and could get a K20 for a decent price by that point.

Finally the K5 came and I jumped on it. I didn't want to wait until the Nikon D400 came out for a price drop and don't think it will be sub-$1000 Cdn until it is end-of-life, so I broke my rule of buying old tech and got myself a new K5.... best treat I have had in years. It may or may have issues in the dark at f1.4, or with a bounce flash but I don't usually shoot in those conditions, so i haven't noticed any issues yet.

One other thing that pushed me to buy now is that I don't think the global financial markets have stabilized yet and I wanted to get in while the getting was good (though Vietnam just devalued the Dong by 8.5% - maybe we will get cheaper lenses now )

Disclosure: got K5 at end of January in Canada for $1400 Cdn
02-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great discussion everyone. You have confirmed my decision to buy now. I will rarely shoot in low light conditions and then even less close up low light.

Well, buy as soon as my tax return arrives. Cannot wait to start using my new camera. Come on IRS....
02-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Ive been saying this for anyone that would listen....but it will be nice when the FW update fixes it

I hope you're wearing your asbestos underpants, because the flames will be pretty hot shortly.

To be clear, I am not saying that the FF issue is someone's imagination or it doesn't happen under specific conditions. I am saying that for many people, including myself, it won't be noticeable.

For some people it is an issue. For those that do close-up work in low light, where the DoF is razor thin, it is a concern and those people would be correct in having some trepidation. But for the 95% of us that don't shoot under those conditions, my opinion is that it is a non-issue. You'll never notice.
LMAO...thats for sure .....allthough a few K5 owners have worse functioning K5's than others do..

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
Great discussion everyone. You have confirmed my decision to buy now. I will rarely shoot in low light conditions and then even less close up low light.

Well, buy as soon as my tax return arrives. Cannot wait to start using my new camera. Come on IRS....
Nice one Kathiewe....Im glad you have been able to use the forum for what Im sure Adam intended it for....