Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
the capability to get a lot of shots I could never get with my previous camera.
Exactly--it's all about the output.

And I don't doubt for a minute that Pentax is working feverishly to correct the known issues. They have a lot riding on this camera and stained sensor replacement is cutting into their profit margin.

02-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fwiw.... if long term concern is an issue... b+h has the pentax 2yr warranty back in inventory, for 19.95... cheap insurance... totaling 3 yrs of coverage with one free tune up...........
dave m
02-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #48
Banned

Am I supposed to boycott a camera that works perfectly for me because it doesn't meet your needs?
Nope, just don't go telling everyone to rush out and buy one when it's clearly defective. Even if the defects don't apply to you, they probably would to most other people. Some of us would like this issue fixed. It'll never get fixed if Pentax doesn't have a reason to do so.
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
And I don't doubt for a minute that Pentax is working feverishly to correct the known issues. They have a lot riding on this camera and stained sensor replacement is cutting into their profit margin.
Wow, blind fanboy-ism at its best. I, on the other hand, have no doubt that Pentax is looking at the balance sheet, and deciding whether it might be cheaper to leave the defects in place. Just like any successful corporation would. Your blind faith and our collective voices have no bearing on anything if the K-5 still sells. Especially if it still sells because we sit there and encourage unknowing saps to buy one.

02-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
blind fanboy-ism at its best.
Well, thanks at least for "at best" r/t "worst" But my point is that Pentax may understand that solidifying the K-5 will be good for the balance sheet.
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, just don't go telling everyone to rush out and buy one when it's clearly defective. Even if the defects don't apply to you, they probably would to most other people. Some of us would like this issue fixed. It'll never get fixed if Pentax doesn't have a reason to do so.
I didn't go telling everyone to rush out and buy the camera. I said, in essence, here is my experience, check your own work, if you do a lot of low-light work, be concerned, but if it is similar to how I describe mine, then don't worry about it. That's a far cry from blind fanboyism. It's called being practical.
02-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #52
Banned

I didn't go telling everyone to rush out and buy the camera. I said, in essence, here is my experience, check your own work, if you do a lot of low-light work, be concerned, but if it is similar to how I describe mine, then don't worry about it. That's a far cry from blind fanboyism. It's called being practical.
I didn't accuse you of blind fanboyism. I accused dadipentak of blind fanboyism.

02-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On another note, name calling will get this thread shut down, so I would recommend we end this point here.
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #54
Banned

On another note, name calling will get this thread shut down, so I would recommend we end this point here.
yes, we wouldn't want that. I'd have to go through the rest of my life feeling like crap because a forum thread got closed.
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Wow, blind fanboy-ism at its best. I, on the other hand, have no doubt that Pentax is looking at the balance sheet, and deciding whether it might be cheaper to leave the defects in place. Just like any successful corporation would. Your blind faith and our collective voices have no bearing on anything if the K-5 still sells. Especially if it still sells because we sit there and encourage unknowing saps to buy one.

that point...is valid, but what they cant know is the repercussions that would have on Pentax for future sales and future balance sheets..it would be a very naive company to think that they would not suffer at the hands of fleeing Users...the Canikon ranks would be filled with disgruntled former Pentax users ...Id be one of them

I will return the K5 if a fix doesn't rear its head before my warranty runs out ,,and ill be getting a full refund for not only the K5, but also the sigma 17-50 that I bought at the same time ...
02-25-2011, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #56
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When you are paying upwards of $1500 for a camera it is not prudent to make a purchase on blind faith. This is an investment and it is best to make the purchase wisely.

I have been researching this purchase since early December and through this research have:
  • Considered Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.
  • Read review upon review upon review.
  • Looked at both test and real shots of many different cameras.
  • Read through list serves and learned of the various experiences -- good and bad -- others have had with the different cameras.
  • Talked to enthusiasts and proffessions about different cameras.
  • Evaluated the positives and minuses of each camera based on my needs and intended uses.
After all that, I have chosen the Pentax k-5. The reason for starting this thread was to determine how significant the issues with the ff and stain were based on my stated needs. Most of the feedback has included concrete examples of the issues -- both good and bad. This has solidified my decision to 1) buy the k-5 and 2) buy now. Fact is I just don't take a lot of low level light pictures -- though I do plan to try to take some pics at Pirates of the Carribean at Disney in May.

It has also helped me decide where to buy the camera from as it is clear that you need to buy from a store with easy and reputible after purchase service. That means I will pay a bit more than if buying from an e-bay company friends have bought other cameras and recommended to me. Problem is they are an international firm and not sure how the US warranty will hold up.

So don't think those suggesting to buy are doing so to those buying in blind faith. People buying in blind faith are probably not members of this forum as they are just reading a few good reviews (and there are many out there), seeing the photos taken on a k-5, and laying down good money for a purchase they or may not have throughly researched.

Sorry for the long post, just thought some of the comments were going down the wrong road. Want to see the thread continue with some solid examples of reason to -- or not to -- buy now.

Last edited by Kathiewe; 02-25-2011 at 06:38 AM.
02-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
it is clear that you need to buy from a store with easy and reputible service. ...
Very good point. Return-for-a-refund-if-not-happy and checking the camera thoroughly to make sure it does what you expect would seem to make a lot of sense with a not-that-cheap thing anyway. A defect is always a possibility and figuring out if some feature suits or not is something you tend to find out in practice. This is no substitute for research, but rather complements it for a dicerning punter .

Last edited by jolepp; 02-25-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo fix
02-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
It has also helped me decide where to buy the camera from as it is clear that you need to buy from a store with easy and reputible service. That means I will pay a bit than if buying froman e-bay company friends have bought other cameras and recommended to me. Problem is they are an international firm and not sure how the US warranty will hold up. ...
Its always a risk buying from overseas. For me, that means buying from B&H, and if something goes wrong, things need to be shipped to the US from Australia. Crossed fingers, so far so good with one P&S and 3 lenses. My K-r though, I bought locally, and so I will with the K-5 (yes, I will cave in, too... its just a matter of time...). Buying the K-5 from B&H would generate customs/import duty as well so it would end up much more expensive than buying locally for me.

Interestingly I can get the K-5 body cheaper locally than I can from HK at the moment, so its all good... if I pull the trigger now and gee I want to.
02-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From the film era I was somehow under the impression that cameras and lenses from the reputable manufactures would be finely made precision products where needing to deal with the seller after the sale would be unlikely. I was away from the hobby for 20+ years or so - maybe this was somewhat of a romantic misconception to begin with or at the very least things have changed .
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Honestly if I was upgrading from a K-x/K-7/K20D etc.. I would have probably waited for things to pan out. But considering my previous camera was a Canon 540 P&S I was not about to wait any longer to have nice pics from a DSLR. After all my research I chose the K-5 over the D7000 and 7D for many reasons, one being that Pentax has been in the camera game to know better than to ignore its end users.

Well now that they are apparently looking into the FF problem would you still say DON'T BUY? When I bought my K-5, I was worried about the sensor stains, I was not worried quite as much about the FF issue. My K-5 has a clean sensor and the FF issue is generaly a non issue as I don't shoot much in tungsten lighting or candle light etc. But even with that Pentax IS looking into what it can do according to pentax rumors site at least.

Last edited by Chex; 02-25-2011 at 08:12 PM.