Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is going to be an unpopular post but....
The AF specification is to work down to EV-1 according to DPReview. I don't know where they get their info, as the specification published on the Pentaximaging website seems to not mention an EV basement.
Popular Photography's glowing review of the K5 says the same thing. And they note that the camera has difficulty focusing in low light, and still declared it a "champ", and give it a 4 1/2 star rating (out of 5) in their camera index in the back. That rating is usually reserved for Canon or Nikon full frames (the K7 never got more than three 1/2 stars, I think).

Of course, no self-respecting Pentaxian likes the review because it is too positive, and we all know the K5 is a dog. But then, no one liked their review of the K7 because they were too harsh and didn't have high enough standards for their tests.

I think we all should just go out and take photos.

02-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #107

Agreed, the point is that the K-5 is a great camera. I enjoy mine tremendously and while some folks on this forum don't like it, the camera continues to get glowing reviews from the professional sites.
02-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #108
Veteran Member

I'm waiting very patiently to purchase a K5. I still have a K7 as well as a 7d.

I prefer the Pentax controls vs Canon. Also I really really like the green button and the options Pentax provides in Hyper Program: On the flip side the 7d has an amazing AF system with many options that Pentax lacks. The manual options for video are very nice although I got good results with my K7 (but it would overheat).

Hyper-Program

The unique Pentax 'Hyper-Program' really is as useful as the name suggests. It is clearly a normal program exposure mode but turning the front or rear dial quickly switches the camera into shutter priority (front dial) or aperture priority (rear dial) modes. To return back to full Program mode just press the green button beside the shutter release. This shockingly simple but effective method of going between the three exposure modes is genius. Note that you can change the program-line from a 'standard' one to hi-speed (favors higher shutter speeds), depth-of-field (favors smaller apertures) or MTF (selects the optimum aperture for the lens used).

The 7d has nothing like that and It's actually extremely useful when you want to go auto but want emphasis on higher shutter speeds, I use MTF a lot on the K7 as well.

Right now all the issues are holding my back on replacing the K7 until the coast is clear. Pentax has the least expensive weather sealed options by far. L glass is no joke in terms of $$$ compared to DA* options.

Also any issues with overheating in live view or when taking video? AF and the overheat issue were major reasons for me picking up a 7d for the second half of my middle east visit. My K7 would overheat at anything over 85 degrees F which was extremely annoying and made it near useless for video. 7d has never overheated.
02-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #109
Inactive Account

7d kannattaa heittää romu koppaan.

02-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #110

I've decided to take the plunge now (I'm currently using a K10D) and go for the Ltd Silver version based on two factors...I love the way it looks and I can be sure that they have been recently made and hopefully fully tested to ensure they do not suffer from any sensor probs. Hope I'm right as I've already pre-ordered (appears to be about £120 premium over the Std K5 body)

Last edited by Mark Morb; 02-28-2011 at 05:31 AM.
02-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
I've decided to take the plunge now (I'm currently using a K10D) and go for the Ltd Silver version based on two factors...I love the way it looks and I can be sure that they have been recently made and hopefully fully tested to ensure they do not suffer from any sensor probs. Hope I'm right as I've already pre-orded (appears to be about £120 premium abover the Std K5 body)
My exact thoughts and actions
02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
I've decided to take the plunge now (I'm currently using a K10D) and go for the Ltd Silver version based on two factors...I love the way it looks and I can be sure that they have been recently made and hopefully fully tested to ensure they do not suffer from any sensor probs. Hope I'm right as I've already pre-ordered (appears to be about £120 premium over the Std K5 body)
QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
My exact thoughts and actions
Mhm, I'm thinking of going this route too!

03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took the plunge (just for the black), now need to rationalise my collection of camera gear, both Pentax and other.
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Hope you all enjoy your K-5's! I'm sure with upcoming firmware updates it will only get better!
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #115
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So the long awaited IRS refund is in, which means that I was finally able to pull the trigger and purchase my k-5.

Really wanted the 18-135 but after paying off the credit cards and bugeting some money for other things, decided it was best to start with the 18-55.

Still have a $250 gift card for Best Buy and debating on whether to get the 50/F1.4, 55-200, or just hold on to it and hope that BB eventually caries the 18-135. Suggestions?

Anyway, the important thing is that Friday (splurged on the over night shipment so we can have it for the weekend), I will have the K-5 and be ready to start taking some great shots!!

Thanks for everyone's advice....
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good for you, Kathiewe!
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Depending what you intend on shooting, maybe a decent flash.. or something with more range like the 50-200mm is decent, but if you shoot indoors you might be better off with the 50mm f1.4 (or good flash).
03-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Mine will arrive next week...
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #119
Veteran Member

sounds like quite a few are now taking up the K5...did the arrival of FW 1.03 affect the decision ?
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #120
Veteran Member

They had already ordered/purchased before 1.03's release.