Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pulling the trigger -- purchase the k-5 now or wait?

Having read through all the threads about the k-5 issues, I am starting to wonder if now is the right time to pull the trigger and purchase the k-5 or wait a bit. The problems do not seem to be so major enough as to change my mind about this purchase. I mean is any machine ever perfect? No. Then again maybe it would be good to give Pentax a couple months to resolve some of the known issues.

One thing is certain -- will be buying by early May as we are going on a mini-vacation later in the month. So there is time to wait a bit, but if it isn't going to matter than maybe having a bit before our vacation would be good as there would be time to use.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Kathiewe; 02-18-2011 at 08:12 AM.
02-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi... coming from a k-x user... who wants the k-5... i'm waiting until pentax issues the proper 'fix' for the k-5, which would also ostensibly correct the new k-r as well..... many have the k-5 without any issue, puzzling as many have been affected with low light shooting woes...
and for 1500 bucks or so, makes some folks a wee bit cranky.....
i believe wholeheartedly that pentax and it's engineers will find a fix soon... and then all be right in our pentax universe... but i will wait patiently for that day before giving them the cash...
and i do endorse the k-x ...... an able dslr...... now can be had for about 1,000 less than a k-5... which would give you the funds for some nice glass.....
best of luck... keep us posted... dave m
02-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you can hold off for a couple months, then wait because most likely you'll get a better price.
02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, the price is not going to be any lower in 2 months.

If you think the issues are not bothersome, I would say - buy it now. So that you know enough about the camera before the vacation. If you pull the trigger right before vacation and something is off, either regarding your understanding or the camera itself, there will not be sufficient time to get a replacement.

cheers,

Abhi

02-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote

If you think the issues are not bothersome, I would say - buy it now. So that you know enough about the camera before the vacation. If you pull the trigger right before vacation and something is off, either regarding your understanding or the camera itself, there will not be sufficient time to get a replacement.

cheers,

Abhi
Got mine in October. Absolutely no regrets. Did replace it for sensor stain issues but that went smoothly. I have a lot of shots I would have missed if I hadn't upgraded from my K20D. And as stated before, get it early enough to really learn the camera before heading out.
02-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

I'm in the same boat. I want to upgrade to a K5 so badly I can barely stand it. BUT $1500 is a lot of money for a camera that MIGHT focus properly in low light situations. What makes the situation even more troubling is that SOME K5 owners (with the same firmware) are reporting that their unit focuses just fine, which COULD indicate that their MIGHT be a manufacturing issue! I have also read, however, that even those that claim to have a perfectly focusing K5 will find some FF if they look hard enough. Either way, its a large investment in a camera body when its just a part of your camera kit and we don't know if it is working properly.

Some dedicated members of this website (falk) are investigating the issue, and word is pentax is working on a fix that SHOULD be out soon. Until then I would hold onto your hard earned cash... or invest good glass . My $.02
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A lot of people are waiting......how many is unclear, but it does follow that all Mfgs improve a product as time passes and problems are discovered. It happens in almost everything we purchase. The price will inevitability drop in time also...how much is dependent on how well the repairs are made and how soon.

I would love to have the K5 now, but my doubts are too big presently to pull the trigger. I have the Fuji X100 coming next month to carry my "craving" and satisfy my "greed" until the K5 is given the "All Clear" sign, otherwise, I might risk it and buy now. Really not much different than a game of Blackjack......will it be right...or will it be wrong? Of course in Blackjack there are no returns or refunds. Not a lot to lose but time and shipping hassle......if you have the time, maybe you should go for it? Just saying.......not a life threatening risk by any means.
Regards

02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Depends on how impetuous you are. I had to have the K5. I wish I had waited. I miss my K7.
02-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Depends on how impetuous you are. I had to have the K5. I wish I had waited. I miss my K7.
hi..... did your k-5 produce acceptable (great) shots outside of low lighting tungsten conditions? some have said they can cheat this problem by manually focusing the camera.... what were your impressions with your k-7 ? positives/negatives which 'made' ya go out and get the k-5... (a body i long for... when it's issues are resolved)
thanks, dave m
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was one of the first to get hold of a K-5 back in September. Got my sensor replaced in December. No issues to date. I definitely don't miss my K-7 at all because the K-5 is just so much better.
02-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's to miss on the K-7 that the K-5 doesn't have? And what low lighting AF problems have there been on the K-5 to warrant being hesitant about the K-5? There's too much anxious concern and not enough objective trials. If the K-5's on your radar to pick up, whether you get it now or in two months will be the difference of all of about $50 or so. Its value will stay up for some time. Give it at least a year for its RRP to come down significantly, or just pick up one now, ensuring no sensor stain, and enjoy its benefits from the start...
02-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote

cheers,

Abhi
+1 What Abhi said. Each camera has a learning curve. I would imagine that a vacation is NOT the place to learn the camera. Since you are new to DSLR land I would especially recommend on getting the camera sooner rather than later. If your camera has the FF issue, and it is a problem for you, then you will have time to exchange it. BTW as soon as my tax refund comes in I will be a new K-5 owner too.

NaCl( and I can't wait)H2O
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Got mine in October. Absolutely no regrets. ... I have a lot of shots I would have missed if I hadn't upgraded from my K20D. And as stated before, get it early enough to really learn the camera before heading out.
+1 (November for me)
I decided to wait until the "dim gym" basketball season ended before I sent it in to have the sensor issue addressed. I'll ship it tomorrow.
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Well - while my comment may not have been truly authentic, there was also a hint of truth. Was the K7 a better, more capable camera than the K5? Of course not. Does the K5 give me stunning images? Yes.

Do I wish I had delayed purchasing the K5, though? Yes. I didn't really need the K5 but I had to have it. For me it was an impulsive purchase. Since obtaining the K5 I have not become a better photographer and my images don't suddenly possess magical qualities.

What the K5 has given is lots of latitude in low light - cleaner images with much lower noise. But it's also given me focus issues. I now use Live View far more than I ever did to get the results I want.

If it weren't for my focus woes I would be jubilant over the K5 and erase the K7 from memory. Until there is a fix, however, I will remember the K7 as the camera that, for me, was always predictable.

Oh - you're question - manual focus and live view resolve focus in low-light. Manual focus less so when shooting wide.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hi..... did your k-5 produce acceptable (great) shots outside of low lighting tungsten conditions? some have said they can cheat this problem by manually focusing the camera.... what were your impressions with your k-7 ? positives/negatives which 'made' ya go out and get the k-5... (a body i long for... when it's issues are resolved)
thanks, dave m
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #15

I wouldn't wait!

I got my K-5 last Thursday moving up from the K200D. The 200 is a good camera but the K-5 exceeds all of my expectations. No problems to date and I am certainly glad I didn't wait. Think of all the great pics you will be missing by waiting to purchase!