Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #61

Photos: Gallery
I rarely post on this forum, but I do visit it frequently and have been following all the threads concerning the K-5. Thanks to the information gleaned from this and some other forums, I decided the good far outweighed the bad, for my purposes. I purchased the camera from an authorized dealer when their new stock came in, and am happy to report that the sensor is clean, the body is brand-new perfect, and I have no complaints regarding its low light focusing. I also have a K20d and a K-x, which I like very much and have used with no problems. However, I can say unequivocally that the K-5 is the best of the three. I suppose my opinion doesn't count much to those who are unhappy with the camera, but I just wanted to add some positive feedback, so that anyone who's interested in the camera can see there are satisfied owners as well. And before I can be called a "fanboy", I will fade back into the silent majority and enjoy my lovely new camera.

02-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
I rarely post on this forum, but I do visit it frequently and have been following all the threads concerning the K-5. Thanks to the information gleaned from this and some other forums, I decided the good far outweighed the bad, for my purposes. I purchased the camera from an authorized dealer when their new stock came in, and am happy to report that the sensor is clean, the body is brand-new perfect, and I have no complaints regarding its low light focusing. I also have a K20d and a K-x, which I like very much and have used with no problems. However, I can say unequivocally that the K-5 is the best of the three. I suppose my opinion doesn't count much to those who are unhappy with the camera, but I just wanted to add some positive feedback, so that anyone who's interested in the camera can see there are satisfied owners as well. And before I can be called a "fanboy", I will fade back into the silent majority and enjoy my lovely new camera.
I'm repping you for this post!
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #63
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enlightening contribution kiwibird. I'm sure there are a good number of K-5 owners who concur. Thanks for the post.
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #64
Forum Member

I just upgraded to a K-5 from a K-100D.

I spent the last few winters agonizing over whether to upgrade or not. Then spring would roll around and I would make GREAT pics with my k-100 and forget all about it.

Well, now that I have a K-5 I am making great pictures BEFORE summer arrives.

I have never made a big purchase without buyers remorse........ Until now.

Have I already found the limits of the K-5 - Yes.
Can I find situations to make it fail - Yes.
Does it start to show the weaknesses of my lesser glass - Yes.

Does it allow me creative opportunities and give me great pics that I would have had great difficulty in achieving with my K100D - ABSOLUTELY.

I have wasted too much time with this post already....
When I have a k-5 laying here waiting to make magic.

Goodbye!

02-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
... I just wanted to add some positive feedback, so that anyone who's interested in the camera can see there are satisfied owners as well. And before I can be called a "fanboy", I will fade back into the silent majority and enjoy my lovely new camera.
Well said! I guess those who are really happy with their cameras are usually the ones who are just out there doing the do, instead of posting here.

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote

Does it allow me creative opportunities and give me great pics that I would have had great difficulty in achieving with my K100D - ABSOLUTELY.

Goodbye!
OK, that does it... My CC is going to take a hit this coming week.
02-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
When you are paying upwards of $1500 for a camera it is not prudent to make a purchase on blind faith. This is an investment and it is best to make the purchase wisely.

I have been researching this purchase since early December and through this research have:
  • Considered Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.
  • Read review upon review upon review.
  • Looked at both test and real shots of many different cameras.
  • Read through list serves and learned of the various experiences -- good and bad -- others have had with the different cameras.
  • Talked to enthusiasts and proffessions about different cameras.
  • Evaluated the positives and minuses of each camera based on my needs and intended uses.
After all that, I have chosen the Pentax k-5. The reason for starting this thread was to determine how significant the issues with the ff and stain were based on my stated needs. Most of the feedback has included concrete examples of the issues -- both good and bad. This has solidified my decision to 1) buy the k-5 and 2) buy now. Fact is I just don't take a lot of low level light pictures -- though I do plan to try to take some pics at Pirates of the Carribean at Disney in May.

It has also helped me decide where to buy the camera from as it is clear that you need to buy from a store with easy and reputible after purchase service. That means I will pay a bit more than if buying from an e-bay company friends have bought other cameras and recommended to me. Problem is they are an international firm and not sure how the US warranty will hold up.

So don't think those suggesting to buy are doing so to those buying in blind faith. People buying in blind faith are probably not members of this forum as they are just reading a few good reviews (and there are many out there), seeing the photos taken on a k-5, and laying down good money for a purchase they or may not have throughly researched.

Sorry for the long post, just thought some of the comments were going down the wrong road. Want to see the thread continue with some solid examples of reason to -- or not to -- buy now.
That's a great post, Kathiewe - I will give you a reputation point for your level headed thinking - hope you enjoy your camera and welcome to the world of Pentax. If we see each other rummaging through flea markets looking for that elusive but classic MF lens - just remember, I saw it first!!!
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
OK, that does it... My CC is going to take a hit this coming week.
Well, if you buy the camera TODAY (sat) you can join us for World Pentax Day tomorrow. Look in the group meet forum - there's a few of us meeting at St. Peters station at 11am - great opportunity to meet other Pentax owners. Even my non Pentax friend is coming along!

02-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Goodbye!
So wishing and waiting and wishing I could join you. But this forum is giving me something to do while I wait for my tax return. Come on IRS!!!
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #69
Forum Member

3 hours of shooting and I am back to the forum.

Coming from the K100D here are my first observations.

The autofocus is MAD faster. I assumed I had the latest firmware. I didn't. An update and it got even better.

Is it perfect? No. I can make it FF in certain circumstances. I quickly learned what those are and will avoid it. It makes the focusing system on my K100D seem worthless in comparison.

Having spent some time with the competitions sub $1500 offerings I don't think the K-5 has any apologies to make as far as the focus is concerned.

I am finding that I need to shoot at higher apertures with many of my lenses to get the sharpness out of them the K-5 is capable of. However, I can now crop so much more then my K100D that I can also shoot with some of my sharper, shorter lenses where before I HAD to have all the optical zoom possible.

I thought the onboard flash on the K-5 wasn't performing as well as my K100D until I realized that the superior high ISO performance was making me lazy about paying attention to that setting. High ISO and onboard flash cause the foreground/background light levels to differ too much. I brought the ISO down on the K-5 and then got a lighting "look" from the onboard closer to what my K100d achieved.

I am about 1000 images into it and feel like another 5000 or so and I will have it mastered.

I am already trolling for some better autofocus lenses. Up until now I was all about my A series Manual focus lenses but the K-5 autofocuses so well I see a few new DA's coming soon.

The video mode is much better than I expected. I make my living on $30-80K Video rigs so I didn't expect to be at all impressed. I found the video quality surprisingly good. With all the complaining here you wouldn't know that. Although I would LOVE a 720/60p and a 1080/24&30P mode.

My K100D kept me happy a LONG time. The K-5 promises to do the same.
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How ironic. I've been reading about the big questions, i.e. is the FF issue fixable and will Pentax do so, if it is? My doorbell just rang and it was UPS delivering my 2 year extended warranty on the K5 I just returned for exchange to B&H. I am very happy to hear that some members have been spared the angst buying an expensive camera that in many instances and for many people does not work as promised. I don't see the warranty as having any benefit if what is wrong with the camera can't or won't be fixed by Pentax. If there is no cure for the FF issue, for those affected, then having a warranty will be of little use. If Pentax had acknowledged the problem and confirmed that they were indeed working on it (timeline not required), I might have a little more hope than I do right now. The returned K5 won't reach B&H until Wed. of next week. If Pentax hasn't announced a firmware fix by then, my Pentax lenses will be up for sale in the Marketplace and Nikon will have another customer. The thought makes me really sad.
02-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I thought the onboard flash on the K-5 wasn't performing as well as my K100D

You need a flash? I find it nearly obsolete.
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
... If Pentax hasn't announced a firmware fix by then, my Pentax lenses will be up for sale in the Marketplace and Nikon will have another customer. The thought makes me really sad.
Well I doubt it will be released by wednesday, my guess is they will take a week or two to make sure the FF is dealt with as best possible on the software side. Then if there is a problem on the hardware side (which I doubt, but it is possible) it will be interesting to see what they come up with to compensate for the problem.
Regardless I'm sure I will be trolling in the market soon to see your lenses, LBA is what it is.
02-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Neighbor

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
How ironic. I've been reading about the big questions, i.e. is the FF issue fixable and will Pentax do so, if it is? My doorbell just rang and it was UPS delivering my 2 year extended warranty on the K5 I just returned for exchange to B&H. I am very happy to hear that some members have been spared the angst buying an expensive camera that in many instances and for many people does not work as promised. I don't see the warranty as having any benefit if what is wrong with the camera can't or won't be fixed by Pentax. If there is no cure for the FF issue, for those affected, then having a warranty will be of little use. If Pentax had acknowledged the problem and confirmed that they were indeed working on it (timeline not required), I might have a little more hope than I do right now. The returned K5 won't reach B&H until Wed. of next week. If Pentax hasn't announced a firmware fix by then, my Pentax lenses will be up for sale in the Marketplace and Nikon will have another customer. The thought makes me really sad.
I came to the same conclusion after 3 K5 bodies that could not focus properly in pretty normal indoor lighting.

However, I am back to shooting the K20D and am going to give Pentax a bit more time as the K5 is just perfect in every other way.

As a way of getting a bit of perspective back (my own) I took the K20 to Hawaii recently and was reminded that I can still enjoy shooting and get good images while waiting for Pentax to sort out the K5:

Kauai 2011 - RP Photography - Ray Pulley

Converted on my uncalibrated netbook on the free Pentax software in my hotel room, but the main point for me was simply to get back to shooting a bit with the fine Pentax glass I own.

I have been shooting Pentax since 1978 and the K20d for about 3 years, so since I have a full refund for the K5, I am not really out anything by waiting a bit longer and shooting the K20 (which is a competent but not stellar performer).

BTW, I'm located in Fairfield and work in Alameda, so we are sort of neighbors!

Ray
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Nearing 10,000 shots on my K-5, and despite some obvious teething issues already mentioned here, it's still the best overall piece of photography equipment I've ever decided to purchase, aside from the FA Limiteds. I've gone from the K10D to the K20d to the K-7 to now the K-5 and since buying it last October I've used it on everything from sports to portraits to a dimly lit wedding. The FF problem may be fixed (hopefully) or it may not, but I don't think that invalidates the work I've been able to do with the camera and hope to do with it yet this year.

And just so I'm not accused of being blindly positive toward Pentax, the AF540 flash is probably the worst overall piece of photographic equipment I've purchased, mostly because the plastic mounting foot broke and it all went down hill from there. The Metz flash with its metal foot is looking mighty tempting in comparison.
02-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your perspective Ray. The pictures are lovely. I actually bought a pair of Birkenstocks at that store when we were there in 2008 :-) I guess I will wait and see what the exchange K5 B&H sends me is like. On the first one, I took several low light photos with only a very low tungsten light. From what I can tell, the focus was accurate, but not sharp, which probably was not surprising given that i was shooting with the FA 77mm wide open. I set several items at varying distances apart and focused on one part of each one. It seemed accurate, as the results matched what I was aiming at. I'm hoping the replacement will be without schmootz on the sensor and with the same focusing ability. If so, I would be happy enough.