Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[langtitle=sv]K-5 fine lines become jagged[/langtitle]

As DPReview found in its review of K-5, fine lines can become jagged. I have experienced this problem with my K-5. I have release 1.0.1 of the K-5 software, and as far as I can see from the specifications of 1.0.2, the problem is not fixed in that release. This should be fixed soon by Pentax, in my opinion.
I have today asked Pentax to act on the problem, via this web address:
Kontaktformular - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems
It is possible to switch language there from "Deutsch" (German) to English.

If more people put pressure on Pentax, then it will be more likely that they do something about the problem.

Sten

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-20-2011 at 07:15 AM.
02-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

fixed somewhat faulty swedish to english translation
02-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Sten or Stone, welcome to the forums.

Under what specific conditions do you see the jagged lines? What settings and what output are you seeing the problem ... in raw or in jpg? An example would be interesting to see.

germar
02-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The jagged lines are result of somewhat weaker AA filter. That is not a FW bug but a design choice. Most people actually don't mind some jaggies and want more contrast and finer detail. The jaggies are not field relevant, you won't see hem until pixel-peeping.

02-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

From the review:
"The only issue to be aware of as far as image quality is concerned, is the occasional appearance of jaggies in very fine diagonal lines, where they appear 'stepped'. This is almost certainly a consequence of the K-5's light AA filter. We saw this clearly in our studio test images (and it is reported here) but it should be stressed that in the hundreds of 'real world' pictures that we took with the K-5, we barely noticed it."

Doesn't really look like all that big a deal (I know it hasn't been for me), but if it is for you, I suspect you will need to research which cameras have stronger AA filters and choose accordingly.
02-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind response! I understand what you are saying, and I fully agree that fine detail and resolution is more important than the mild jaggie problem. It is good to know that it is a design choice and not a firmware bug as I thought before.
The jaggie problem is not great. It appears only occasionally, and it is much worse in raw format, and actually barely visible in JPG.
I take back my wish to have the problem fixed by Pentax!
By the way, it seems that the website program changes some letters to capital letters when I write in English, which I prefer to do.
OK, I have now changed the default language in my profile to English, so now my posts may become less mysterious, I hope.
Sten

Last edited by Sten; 02-20-2011 at 11:27 AM.
02-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sten Quote
OK, I have now changed the default language in my profile to English, so now my posts may become less mysterious, I hope.
Sten
Just so all non swedish people understand this, and this is funny.... at least to me:

Sten (the name) actually means "stone" translated to english, and it means stone in swedish to.

Its a beautifull name imo! I know a guy named Sten Svrd, wich translated means "Stone Sword" and has the same meaning in swedish to...

Sorry for the OT.....
02-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've noticed this too on diagonal lines and I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the AA-filter. I can't recall I've seen this on the K10 which (I believe) has a much weaker AA-filter then the K5 (which IMO doesn't have such a weak AA-filter).

It is weird though as the Nikon d7000 with pretty much the same sensor doesn't show this. So I'm guessing Pentax do some special filtering on the raw data and that this is some artifact from this. I don't like it but it is really a very minor problem compared to the FF my camera sports.