Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Help with the fx button on K-5

I like to change the AF point a lot while I shoot, mainly between the center and the immediately surrounding spots. However, to do this requires the 4-way controller around the OK button on the back. On occasion, I use those buttons for their actual functions (WB, flash, etc...). There are times where I'll forget to change the function of the 4-way controller back to AF point changing, and I'll have to take the camera away from my eye and find the OK button, recompose, and so on. I know, a minor inconvenience, but, one none the less. During studio sessions where I feel like I've got a good flow going, this minor inconvenience just disrupts my concentration every now and again.

So, now that I've told you my INCREDIBLY difficult situation, I was wondering if there was any way I could program the fx button to make the 4-way controller switch to AF point selection. I've looked in the manual, and in the camera menu and couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for the help guys.

02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't be done with the current firmware
02-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it can't be done the way you want.
This is something Pentax broke with the K7, fixed with the first firmware update, and then broke again with the K5.
Hopefully they'll fix it at some point.
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #4

I actually find the OK button easy to press with the camera to my eye, so this isn't really an issue for me, though I would be happy to see more button customization options, especially for the AF button, which I will probably never use for AF

02-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That would be a great idea for that otherwise useless (to me) button. Good to know it's at least possible to fix it with firmware. Gives me some hope.