Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Off camera flash with the K5 questions and issues

This is my first off camera flash. A Metz 50 AF-1.

I have been playing around with my K5 trying to get a handle on flash exposure compensation when bouncing flash and shooting off camera in slave mode...

I shoot with it in P-TTL when I have it hotshoe mounted. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling understandably underexposes. It takes about +2 EV on the flash to get a proper exposure. The flash exposure adjustment in camera only goes up to +1. Do these work in concert (stack) or does one override the other? Here are some examples... the changes in the histogram don't seem to 'match' the exposure adjustments I'm making...

(All shot at 1/100, f 9, ISO 400 and the 18-135 lens)

No exposure compensation...

+1 EV flash exposure ON CAMERA

+1 EV flash exposure comp ON FLASH (None on camera)

+2 EV flash exposure comp ON FLASH (None on camera)

+2 EV ON FLASH and +1 EV ON CAMERA

These last three were shot in slave mode, no flash exposure compensation from various angles... Same exposure settings...

Anyway, I was initially confuses as my slave mode shot were WAY overexposed... but I think that was because I had a +2 EV ex. comp. set on the flash before i set it to slave mode. That must have been retained because after resetting everything and trying it again, I did not have this problem....

Anyway, thoughts? Advice? Explanations?

Thanks,

Ken

02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
On another note, the only way I could figure out how to get these in the post was to upload them to my album and link them from there... I have no clue why they're so small... the exported photo's were 1200x1200....

Thanks,

KEn
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
On another note, the only way I could figure out how to get these in the post was to upload them to my album and link them from there... I have no clue why they're so small... the exported photo's were 1200x1200....

Thanks,

KEn
Because you are posting the thumbnails instead of the full photos. That's number 1. Number 2, and a little less important, the albums don't allow photos more than 1024 x 1024. It will upload them but will cut them down to that And strip the EXIF.

Thumbnail

Thumbnail with link

Original photo

Fix that and we can better help with your original post.

02-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
There are new firmwares for Metz.

02-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A. This quote is from Matt's site: Flash Output Compensation in P-TTL Mode - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax flash control system lets you set a flash compensation value on the camera body which is cumulative with any value set on the flash itself. Having two independent settings is most important when using multiple flashes for a scene, but it also gives increased flexibility, since it adds a couple of stops to the range and because many Pentax camera bodies can work in ⅓-stop increments.
B. My impression was that it was additive from your images. Normally i don't mess with the EV settings on the flash, because they are harder to change, but thanks for asking the question, i always wondered the same thing with my 48AF1

C. In case others don't know, there was a new firmware upgrade for most metz flashes, my 48 went to v3. some significant changes that i haven't figured out yet.

D. My wife and I would always blink at pttl's preflash. I accidentally found out the other day that turning on red-eye prevention in the camera's menu, prevents the blinking - thought others would like to know.

best wishes with your new flash,