Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Firmware Request: Focus bracketing

I would love to see an option for focus bracketing. I mean, most other things can be fixed / improved in PP, but if a shot is out of focus, it's VERY hard to do anything about it!

Plus, the macro buffs would love it!

I've been fiddling with lens calibration (FF/BF) and have noticed how different the focus is in different light sources. Also, some of my zooms need one adjustment for the short end of the zoom, and a differnt adjustment for the long end! And a different adjustment for close/macro versus what is needed for a couple of metres away! So how do I adjust the calibration for that???

Anyone else with me?

02-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like a good idea to me. I would use it more than exposure bracketing.
Ideally the amount of focus shift would change with DOF. Narrow DOF, small focus shift. So smaller shift when close focussed and wide aperture setting.
02-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All you basically need to do is vary the aperture- but I agree, something like this would be very handy. Bracketing aperture while maintaining exposure value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I love the idea. Would be great for focus stacking.

02-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I would love to see an option for focus bracketing. I mean, most other things can be fixed / improved in PP, but if a shot is out of focus, it's VERY hard to do anything about it!

Plus, the macro buffs would love it!

I've been fiddling with lens calibration (FF/BF) and have noticed how different the focus is in different light sources. Also, some of my zooms need one adjustment for the short end of the zoom, and a differnt adjustment for the long end! And a different adjustment for close/macro versus what is needed for a couple of metres away! So how do I adjust the calibration for that???

Anyone else with me?
I'm in.

I have a Pentax A 50/1.2 and AF confirmation is not accurate enough, plus the focus screen only sees about f2 to 2.8 anyway. I'd love to take 3 shots, wioth two slightly either side.

But regarding zooms, this doesn't need bracketing it needs the AF fine tune to allow different calibrations at different zoom lengths.
02-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All you basically need to do is vary the aperture- but I agree, something like this would be very handy. Bracketing aperture while maintaining exposure value.
I disagree with you Adam, aperture bracketting would not necessarily move the focus plane accurately.

Here is an interresting article on the focus shift based on aperture variation diglloyd - Focus - Focus Shift and Spherical Aberration

What we really need is the ability to bracket the autofocus in AF-S based on a user-defined interval. That would be the killer feature for low light out of focus shots and macro stacked exposures
02-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pimeessä olisi tutka tarkennus paras.
02-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would disagree. One of the very problems solved by focus bracketing is when shooting at large apertures and micro DOFs. i.e 1.2 and 1.4

You can't bracket aperture when the lens is wide open anyway.

02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have added this to the firmware request thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/121377-k-5-firmware-sugg...ml#post1401069
02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Well done!

It's as great idea.