Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Evolution Quote
If it doesn't I will most likely be jumping over to Canon, not because it's popular or chic... but because I know I can rely on it.
You may want to bear in mind Canon has had a number of embarrassing problems with a number of their cameras, including one of their flagship pro models. Focus problems in Servo AF mode, oil from the mirror flicking onto the sensor ...

Even more embarrassing, focus issues in broad daylight due to the internal mirror assembly, which had to be replaced.

Despite all this, it's still a good camera (after all the faults have been fixed) - I have taken photos on it and it's fine.

Worth taking into perspective against the K-5's focus issues, which appear constrained to EV < 2, on specific lenses, in yellowish light.

02-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

Worth taking into perspective against the K-5's focus issues, which appear constrained to EV < 2, on specific lenses, in yellowish light.
The K-5's front focus issues actually happen < EV4 and not just in yellowish light. And furthermore there's no specific lenses where this fault appears.
02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #63
Veteran Member

You may want to bear in mind Canon has had a number of embarrassing problems with a number of their cameras, including one of their flagship pro models. Focus problems in Servo AF mode, oil from the mirror flicking onto the sensor ...

Even more embarrassing, focus issues in broad daylight due to the internal mirror assembly, which had to be replaced.

Despite all this, it's still a good camera (after all the faults have been fixed) - I have taken photos on it and it's fine.
You've taken pictures on Canon itself?
02-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
You've taken pictures on Canon itself?
Classy

02-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Classy
Thanks for quoting Smeggypant's post - I don't normally read them because he's on my ignore list. Will report his post to the moderators.
02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks for quoting Smeggypant's post - I don't normally read them because he's on my ignore list. Will report his post to the moderators.
What on earth for? You are really going to report me for saying "You've taken pictures on Canon itself?"

Your sentence didn't make any sense. My reply reflected that.

But please report me, I would hope the moderators will make allowances for unreasonably sensitive members of this forum. I'm sure they don't want a forum where people have to tread on eggshells for fear of offending anyone.
02-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5's front focus issues actually happen < EV4 and not just in yellowish light. And furthermore there's no specific lenses where this fault appears.
My K-5 is actually perfect at all light levels and conditions.

02-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
My K-5 is actually perfect at all light levels and conditions.
No it isn't. No camera is.

Anyway I was just describing the nature of the K-5s front focus issues. If you don't have them at he recognised conditions for this problem then good for you.
02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No it isn't. No camera is.

Anyway I was just describing the nature of the K-5s front focus issues. If you don't have them at he recognised conditions for this problem then good for you.
Whatever helps you continue to be bitter...
02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Whatever helps you continue to be bitter...
Eh?

I won't even ask where that sarcastic comment evolved from.

I can assure you old chap ( or chapess ) I am not bitter about anything. I patiently(just) await the fix for my K-5's Front focussing problem.

Good luck in getting sorted
02-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I'm with Smeggypants here, EV 4 is enough. As soon as I reach iso 1600 I'm in FF territory and can no longer trust the phase focus. No need for extreme darkness or funny colored lights.
02-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #72

Smeggy is complete correct here. If it was < EV2 and in yellowish light and specific lens as Christine states it would be easier to cope with. She's incorrect the K5 front focuses in less than EV4.
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #73
Inactive Account

Nikon D7000: from a poster on DPR.

"If you have this issue, all you can do is to either exchange it for a new one, or send it in for a replacement of the vertical lever, that seems to cause this common problem. But that will take a few weeks probably. You can't adjust for this issue with the fine tuning because if you correct it for tungsten light you will get severe front focus in daylight.
This is really common with the D7000, and my reseller (one of the biggest in sweden) has said that they have gotten a huge amount of their D7000s back for these kind of issues. So be sure to check it out while you still can get it replaced."
02-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Deflections

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Nikon D7000: from a poster on DPR.

"If you have this issue, all you can do is to either exchange it for a new one, or send it in for a replacement of the vertical lever, that seems to cause this common problem. But that will take a few weeks probably. You can't adjust for this issue with the fine tuning because if you correct it for tungsten light you will get severe front focus in daylight.
This is really common with the D7000, and my reseller (one of the biggest in sweden) has said that they have gotten a huge amount of their D7000s back for these kind of issues. So be sure to check it out while you still can get it replaced."
I think everyone is aware that other brands have issues too. The D7000 and the Canon 7D, both newer models like the K5, seem to be having focus issues.

Some older Canon models had issues, including some very expensive pro models.

The Nikon D700 has been reported to have a flash shoe that lasts a year or less before it needs replacement. The Nikon SB900 overheats in heavy use from what I have read.

BTW, I am not directing these comments at you specifically, the swede, but your post is very similar to others that point out failures in other brands as if a Nikon failure or design fault has any bearing on the K5 problems. It doesn't.

I suppose some feel the need to warn others who are thinking of switching from Pentax about the faults of other brands, but this thread is titled 'K5 AF trouble catch-all" not "Warn everyone that other brands fail too" or "Pentax failures are ok because Nikon and Canon have failures too" thread.

Others, I think, just use the other brand failure comments as a deflection for the Pentax issues, and I fail to see how this is at all useful?

Failures in other brands in no way make the K5 usable in certain low light conditions and it seems to me that pointing out such failures to users with problem K5s is off topic at best, and causes frustration and bickering at worst.

Ray
02-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
BTW, I am not directing these comments at you specifically, the swede, but your post is very similar to others that point out failures in other brands as if a Nikon failure or design fault has any bearing on the K5 problems. It doesn't.

I suppose some feel the need to warn others who are thinking of switching from Pentax about the faults of other brands, but this thread is titled 'K5 AF trouble catch-all" not "Warn everyone that other brands fail too" or "Pentax failures are ok because Nikon and Canon have failures too" thread.

Others, I think, just use the other brand failure comments as a deflection for the Pentax issues, and I fail to see how this is at all useful?

Failures in other brands in no way make the K5 usable in certain low light conditions and it seems to me that pointing out such failures to users with problem K5s is off topic at best, and causes frustration and bickering at worst.

Ray
Yes! you are absolutely right It has nothing to do with the K-5 itself, and i do not want to warn other from changing brands. So i do agree with you that my post is Off Topic. Thanks for pointing this out!

However i confess, without having any knowledge in technical matters, that i find it interesting at least, that theres is a mention of a "mechanical part" in the D7000 related to the focus issue. Wich of course again... probably has nothing to do with our K-5.

My interest lies purely in keeping mature and friendly conversations going in this forum.