Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I suppose trouble put in sorting problems like this for a good track record would go quite a bit towards building brand confidence and hence the value to stockholders. Brands are about buying with confidence(at a premium) and business is about selling your products (for a profit).

02-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
But doesn't that make it inconsistant? I'm not trying to be funny or confrontational here, but if Christine gets different results than you, the the results are inconsistant, even if your camera exhibits consistant results

NaCl(if hers does x and yours does y than the results are inconsistant)H2O
No, it means the shooting conditions may have been inconsistent. None of us were present during these scenarios. Each could have been under completely different conditions that weren't indicative of where the problem tends to manifest itself.
02-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Almost as bad as the FF issue, for me, is the loss of confidence in Pentax. It is not too late, but the clock is ticking. This will have a severe adverse effect on models to come if not addressed, and on the Brand in general. I can see a greatly reduced "first adopter" crowd on the next model if there is no remedy for this and other noted problems. Many of us are still here, still hopeful, and still willing to spend our cash with Pentax, now and in the future. The ball is indeed in Pentax's court. If I was capable, what I would do does not matter....what Pentax does will matter for a long time.
Regards
Well, I am thinking of the same actually. I am tired of problems that occur with Pentax cameras while shooting fairly normal conditions. I mentioned before that I sold the K-7 and bought the K-5 at twice the price because of some K-7 problems that I did not want to deal with anymore. Now, this $1600 camera is not at all reliable for shooting indoor weddings for example. I am looking and waiting for a similar camera from a different brand with similar sensor performance in the same price range (currently thinking of Canon 7D). If the K-5 FF issue does not get fixed (or significantly improved), I am leaving Pentax, and not waiting for a K-3 or other follow up with a new set of problems. Due to the FF issue my K-5 is now almost a useless camera for a lot of my photography that would have made it a phenomenal camera otherwise. I am losing my trust in Pentax and am starting to loose hope on this FF issue, which is making me very sad and disappointed.

Anybody care to cheer me up with good news? Be my guest....
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Well, I am thinking of the same actually. I am tired of problems that occur with Pentax cameras while shooting fairly normal conditions. I mentioned before that I sold the K-7 and bought the K-5 at twice the price because of some K-7 problems that I did not want to deal with anymore. Now, this $1600 camera is not at all reliable for shooting indoor weddings for example. I am looking and waiting for a similar camera from a different brand with similar sensor performance in the same price range (currently thinking of Canon 7D). If the K-5 FF issue does not get fixed (or significantly improved), I am leaving Pentax, and not waiting for a K-3 or other follow up with a new set of problems. Due to the FF issue my K-5 is now almost a useless camera for a lot of my photography that would have made it a phenomenal camera otherwise. I am losing my trust in Pentax and am starting to loose hope on this FF issue, which is making me very sad and disappointed.

Anybody care to cheer me up with good news? Be my guest....

Well, Adam says a firmware fix is on the way, that should add a little cheer? There are many of the "disappointed" and while very unfortunate, it is not the end of the world. People are dying, people are hungry....I try to keep a perspective to my particular needs, desires, and greeds.

My Grandad always said "It will all work out, maybe to my sorrow, but in time it will all work out"....and it always did. Not much has changed about that saying.
Best Regards!

02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, Adam says a firmware fix is on the way, that should add a little cheer? There are many of the "disappointed" and while very unfortunate, it is not the end of the world. People are dying, people are hungry....I try to keep a perspective to my particular needs, desires, and greeds.

My Grandad always said "It will all work out, maybe to my sorrow, but in time it will all work out"....and it always did. Not much has changed about that saying.
Best Regards!
Not really. We were told a rumour that the firmware fix was due in 2 weeks and that was nearly 4 weeks ago.

Adam said here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/134352-whats-happening-a...ml#post1399655

... and a few pots down I asked him to specify where he heard this. No reply yet
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Not really. We were told a rumour that the firmware fix was due in 2 weeks and that was nearly 4 weeks ago.

Adam said here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/134352-whats-happening-a...ml#post1399655

... and a few pots down I asked him to specify where he heard this. No reply yet

Well, I tried! If we are out of hope, we are just wasting our time here. I'm not giving up yet, but I am not so optimistic either. That is where I get my hope.......I am wrong enough times to realize that betting against me gives the best odds.
Regards!
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, I tried! If we are out of hope, we are just wasting our time here. I'm not giving up yet, but I am not so optimistic either. That is where I get my hope.......I am wrong enough times to realize that betting against me gives the best odds.
Regards!
I'm not out of hope. At least Falconeye's test has put some weight on the issue ( Thanks falc !! ) - even to the extent that some people who were vigorously trying to minimise the issue by saying it was user error, or previous Pentax model suffered something similar, are now mysteriously all of a sudden claiming they have the problem.

Now the issue has been proven it should speed up a fix. My dealer said he would ring Pentax UK and see if there was any news. I shall chase him up now ...

02-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything... just like in the world of FTA satellite receivers that require regular firmware updates (not that I would know anything about that of course), the fix will be out when it's good and ready.

The worst thing Pentax could possibly do is give people a time table or deadline.... it creates hope and hype and then massive backlash when they can't meet that deadline. The only thing they will ever say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Pat
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #39

Como he dicho en varias ocasiones, Pentax esta trabajando y en poco tiempo veremos una solución.

Sólo un poco de paciencia.

Saludos!
02-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxeros Quote
Como he dicho en varias ocasiones, Pentax esta trabajando y en poco tiempo veremos una solución.

Saludos!
My attempt at a translation:
"As I have said on various occasions, Pentax is working on it and we will see a solution shortly. Just a little patience. Greetings!"
Thanks for your message Pentaxeros! How do you know that the work will result in a solution? Did you hear something about the progress of the work?
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
No, it means the shooting conditions may have been inconsistent. None of us were present during these scenarios. Each could have been under completely different conditions that weren't indicative of where the problem tends to manifest itself.
I disagree. It is probable that the shooting conditions were different. It is also probable that two different cameras react differently. Notice that I'm not saying the people are wrong in saying that they have problems in low tungsten light. But by the same token I'm not saying that people who say they have no problems are wrong either. What I'm saying is that the results seem to be inconsistant. That is the reason there is such a big problem, some are seeing unacceptable AF problems and some are not. By it's very defination, that is inconsistancy.

NaCl(it's hard to track down intermittent or inconsistant failures)H2O
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I own a bicycle shop. I actually don't care all that much about bicycles, but I have become quite fond of eating regularly and living indoors.
Hey Parallax you could always sell me a new bike, I think I'm the market for one, but waiting for a cheaper version of Di2 (Di2 lite???) :-)

But seriously, I totally get what you are trying to say. I think it's important for bike shop owners to get some perspective and some distance from the product they are selling.

I've seen some bike shop owners that run their bike shop like a cycling club - all the people who work at their shop are their cycling buddies, they get very passionate and start arguing with potential customers about bike brands and groupsets etc. and next thing you know they are wondering why they are not making money.

I've seen some camera store owners that are like that too. But fortunately, most have learnt to separate business from pleasure. I was glad that when I bought my K-5 the store person was very good - didn't try to talk me into another brand, took my concerns about stains and FF quite seriously and gave me time to make up my mind.
02-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
My attempt at a translation:
"As I have said on various occasions, Pentax is working on it and we will see a solution shortly. Just a little patience. Greetings!"
Thanks for your message Pentaxeros! How do you know that the work will result in a solution? Did you hear something about the progress of the work?
Gracias por tu traducción.

Tengo fuentes de información fiables.

Saludos a todos!
02-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything... just like in the world of FTA satellite receivers that require regular firmware updates (not that I would know anything about that of course), the fix will be out when it's good and ready.

The worst thing Pentax could possibly do is give people a time table or deadline.... it creates hope and hype and then massive backlash when they can't meet that deadline. The only thing they will ever say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Pat
Which is what I wish they would do. It's the not knowing that's the worst part.
02-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxeros Quote
Gracias por tu traducción.

Tengo fuentes de información fiables.

Saludos a todos!
Translation

"Thank you for your translation.

I have reliable sources of information.

Just a little patience.

Hello everyone!"