Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank You

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Yes! you are absolutely right It has nothing to do with the K-5 itself, and i do not want to warn other from changing brands. So i do agree with you that my post is Off Topic. Thanks for pointing this out!

However i confess, without having any knowledge in technical matters, that i find it interesting at least, that theres is a mention of a "mechanical part" in the D7000 related to the focus issue. Wich of course again... probably has nothing to do with our K-5.

My interest lies purely in keeping mature and friendly conversations going in this forum.
Thank you for your polite response.

I think we agree completely and share very common interests.

To get us a bit closer to the intent of this thread:

If I had any confidence that a mechanical adjustment of my K5 would have corrected the problem, I would have kept the K5 and sent it in for repair.

I was concerned about getting stuck with a K5 where the problem was never corrected much like the shutter blur issue. The FF issue made the K5 all but unusable for me in very normal indoor and outdoor low'ish lighting with all 14 of my lenses (3 different brands) and there is no practical work around for me in most cases.

Shutter blur can be worked around in most situations, and even SDM failures can be fixed (I know because I have had one repaired). So far we have not seen a K5 or Kr that has had the FF issue "fixed" by the service folks.

Thanks again.

Ray

Last edited by Ray Pulley; 02-27-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo
02-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
If I had any confidence that a mechanical adjustment of my K5 would have corrected the problem, I would have kept the K5 and sent it in for repair.

I was concerned about getting stuck with a K5 where the problem was never corrected much like the shutter blur issue. The FF issue made the K5 all but unusable for me in very normal indoor and outdoor low'ish lighting with all 14 of my lenses (3 different brands) and there is no practical work around for me in most cases.
I could have written that myself. Those are exactly my thoughts and experiences with the k-5.
02-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Thank you for your polite response.
Ray
Right back at ya!

I think for some the problem has different impact. For me i just could justify that amount of money being spent on a camera that doesnt work where my K-7 worked fine! So it was back with the K-5 for me, couldnt see the point in keeping the camera and wait when the K-7 is a great performer.

Im stuck with shutterblur instead No biggie...never seen it.

Back to the topic then.... One thought i have is, IF the + in SAFOX was made to prevent this from happening OR make make things better than before. How could they not have tested it in its working enviroment (low light) where its supposed to do things better?
02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #79
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like everything has been said, sometimes over and over in different ways. The problem is no longer in doubt, the need for repair seems no longer in question......so we are all just waiting. Some for a repair, some for the confidence to purchase without worry. No, it is not the end of the world no matter what does/doesn't happen, but it is frustrating and for many of us whose joy is in photography it is a difficult time in our Pentax experience.
If this is truly a "Bottom Line" decision, then I guess we are waiting for the Pentax CFO to make a decision? Is that a fair assessment?
Best Regqrds

02-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #80
Veteran Member

seems hard to really kill the K5 though...when it can do this..im as confused as everyone..but perhaps happier than some

image was under exposed due to the flash failing to fire { i was in machine gun mode..LOL}

exposure was bought back in raw , then added some noise removel and levels adjust

02-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
seems hard to really kill the K5 though...when it can do this..im as confused as everyone..but perhaps happier than some

image was under exposed due to the flash failing to fire { i was in machine gun mode..LOL}

exposure was bought back in raw , then added some noise removel and levels adjust

The camera has amazing DR, that's for sure. Here's hoping that the rumored 'fix" is on the way so I can buy another K5 and be a happy K5 shooter!

Ray
02-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I hear you ray....amen to that brother

02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #83
Veteran Member

That's damned incredible!
02-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #84

That's really incredible recovery, and it seems to be in focus as well, How did that happen?

Well done in any case
02-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
That's really incredible recovery, and it seems to be in focus as well, How did that happen?
There seems to be enough of daylight coming through the window there for the AF to work just fine; AFAIK the FF the problem occurs in dimmish tungsten light when it does.
02-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Be Careful Of Judging Light Level

Well done in any case
Without exposure values and the amount of post capture exposure boost, we really cannot judge how dark the scene was to begin with.

We can only get an idea of how underexposed it was.

The amount of light getting to the AF module is always passed through the lens when it was wide open before exposure, and has nothing to do with exposure. The AF module always gets the maximum light available for the lens attached and the scene conditions.

Ray
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #87

FWIW, When I said

"That's really incredible recovery, and it seems to be in focus as well, How did that happen?"

The "How did that happen?" part wasn't intended to be serious question, only a whimsical aside. Sorry, guess I need to start using the smilies.
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

I missed the ironic part

FWIW, When I said

"That's really incredible recovery, and it seems to be in focus as well, How did that happen?"

The "How did that happen?" part wasn't intended to be serious question, only a whimsical aside. Sorry, guess I need to start using the smilies.
Nothing wrong with a little irony or fun making, but I did indeed miss that part.

Ray
03-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Now I'm allowed back in the thread - any news on a fix yet
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've explored the options, I guess most have, and think it is worth a little more waiting to see what happens. I do have the X100 coming, but not as a replacement by any means, just as a sort of walkabout.
Sorry, this is off topic a bit, but, what is the X100 I've seen mentioned?

Thanks,

Bill