Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #1

K-5 Question.

Hi I really want to buy the K-5 but need to ask have they taken care of the stain sensor? as when I talked to srs mycrosystems they said that the newer batches don't have that problem, also the focusing problems that I am hearing is concerning also as I read Falconeye test. I just sold my 7D but will keep my 5D II as it's a great camera, I just like Pentax also and guess I want to be a 2 system user, another thing I like is that in the menu Pentax has Interval as I am getting into star trials, does that work good? I have heard that it takes 2 shots and then stops, thanks

02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Hi I really want to buy the K-5 but need to ask have they taken care of the stain sensor? as when I talked to srs mycrosystems they said that the newer batches don't have that problem, also the focusing problems that I am hearing is concerning also as I read Falconeye test. I just sold my 7D but will keep my 5D II as it's a great camera, I just like Pentax also and guess I want to be a 2 system user, another thing I like is that in the menu Pentax has Interval as I am getting into star trials, does that work good? I have heard that it takes 2 shots and then stops, thanks
I believe that PENTAX has addressed the stain problem with new units. However, if you buy a K-5 now and need to send it in, the effect would be the same as buying later. I've heard that a firmware fix for AF problems is on its way, but note that this is only a rumor. In any case, when you want to travel light, the PENTAX K-5 is an ideal substitute for the much larger Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

Regarding interval shooting, the camera can be set to shoot up to 999 shots.

I do need to say that there have been far worse AF problems in some cameras; the US$5000 (at launch) Canon EOS-1D Mark III, in particular, had a high-profile autofocus fiasco (see CNET user reviews and Wikipedia).

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-24-2011 at 10:23 AM.
02-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

I would definitely wait until all of the issues are addressed. There are more user-verified problems than you mentioned in your post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131868-k-5-problems-poll.html
02-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
"All issues" will never be addressed. The K-5 is essentially a K-7 with most of the shortcomings fixed and it is now overall a very good camera.

02-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have no hesitation in recommending the K5, it is a brilliant camera, and I am sure you will be VERY VERY unlucky to strike a stain issue on those sold now.

As for the focus issue, I own an early issued K5 and have had no problems with focus, in any light, good or bad.
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I will wait and see if they do give a firmware for that AF issue that falconeye has reported