Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Looking to buy a k-5 but have a few concerns....

Hey All,

This is my first post on this forum, but am looking to get your thoughts on a few things. I currently own a Canon 5D MKII with a 24-70L lens. I am not really shooting for $ anymore and am feeling that the MKII is more camera than I really need right now (weight, size and overall performance).

I am really intrigued with the k-5 for the following reasons...... weight, size, waterproof, price, ISO performance. But I have a few concerns about lens selection and IQ.

Lenses- I really like the idea of the WR lenses in the lineup but are any of them decent? I prefer something wider that I can walk around with..... any suggestions? I was looking at the 18-135 and the 17-70 (I'm not a huge fan of variable aperture lenses but am willing to deal).

IQ- Is everyone pretty happy with the overall IQ coming out of the K-5? Has anyone made the switch from MKII to K-5?

Thank you in advance for your help

-kevin

02-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm afraid the 17-70 is not WR.
In October last year I met a guy with 5DMk2 (and 24-105/4L) that noticed my Pentax and told me he has the K-7 as well using it when the Canon gear would be too heavy and big to bother with. So I told him that I own a Canon EOS5 film camera and we talked for a while.

The IQ of the K-5 is great, mainly the DR is good reason to get it.

Regarding the lenses obvious would be the 16-50/2.8 which gives you similar range as the 24-70 on FF. But it is large. Small lenses like limiteds are not WR. The 18-135 could be a good compromise but I do not have personal experience with this lens and I do not trust high zoom ratios generally.

And last advice - do not switch. Perhaps get the K-5 as a second camera. You may find it good enough to sell the 5D but I doubt it. Once you were spoiled by the FF you will not likely be happy with crop, no matter how good it is.
02-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinj909 Quote

I am really intrigued with the k-5 for the following reasons...... weight, size, waterproof, price, ISO performance. But I have a few concerns about lens selection and IQ.
You should also be concerned with Pentax quality control. See the range of problems, most of which are have been officially acknowledged by Pentax.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131868-k-5-problems-poll.html

Last edited by ajoe; 02-24-2011 at 11:03 AM.
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can vouch for the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8. On a K-5 it has roughly the same focal range as your 24-70mm on a 5D.

K-5 IQ is stellar. It beats the 5D on the DXO scores.

02-24-2011, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

secret photo taken at last pentax hoya meeting concerning the k-5 and k-r............
... envious though... i wish i had the ability to use my feet so that i could shoot two cameras at once...

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 02-24-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: sp
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

The K-5 is a great camera and Iwouldn't be concerned with the QC. My guess is the majority of K-5 owners have no issues at all. Take a look at the professional reviews. The K-5 consistently gets high marks.
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The stains issue was real I had stained K-5 from the first batch that arrived to our country. But Pentax replaced that promptly and I'm happy now. With some lenses the AF fails as Falk Lumo described, but surprisingly with the DA*16-50 the AF precision was fine.
02-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
You should also be concerned with Pentax quality control. See the range of problems, most of which are have been officially acknowledged by Pentax.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131868-k-5-problems-poll.html
There are two remaining issues that you would want to be concerned about if the type of photography you do is low-light or external flash.

The camera has a strong tendency to front focus around EV-1,2 depending on the lens. This is proven and there is tons of information on this in the other posts, but if you don't do a lot of work where you need AF in low light, then like me, this would be a non-issue. AF in normal light levels is fast and accurate.

The second problem that is unresolved is the tendency to overexpose when an external flash is used in P-TTL mode. There are details of this around too. I believe the solution for this atm is to just make some adjustments to the EV level on camera. As with the first issue, if you don't do a lot of flash photography, or only use flash in a manual setup, this is again a non-issue.

02-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote

- sensor stains
- low light focus issues
- camera freezes under certain circumstances (repeatable on most K-5s)
- general QC problems

the list goes on and on...
But I'm sure there is a firmware fix is on the way...

So it's all good when you're wearing your Pentax rose-colored glasses.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #10

Don't listen to a few doom and gloom trolls. Yes, there are some issues with the K-5. The sensor stain issue has been acknowledged and fixed by Pentax. If you buy one from a reputable dealer, you should get a clean one. If not, return it and get a new one.

The other issues have been blown way out of proportion. Not everyone seems to notice this issue unless they are setting up specific test scenarios that don't translate into real world pictures. I personally don't have any issues focusing or with FF pictures. Some people have issues. Hopefully Pentax will provide a firmware update, but for me and many others, this is a non-issue.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-24-2011 at 03:16 PM.
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote

- sensor stains
- low light focus issues
- camera freezes under certain circumstances (repeatable on most K-5s)
- general QC problems

the list goes on and on...
What is the general QC problem? Actually I already detected all the discussed problems. It was not easy, but I succeeded finding them. Sometimes it required very special conditions and circumstances to reproduce the issues. But I couldn't find the general one.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Where did Hound Tooth go? Doesn't surprise me...
02-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The K5 is a good camera, even with it's minor glitches.
As mentioned, you may have problems going from a 135 camera to an APS-C camera because of the smaller viewfinder.

As far as QC problems go, the K5 is probably on par with what is out there. When people complain about the K5, they aren't mentioning the Canon 5d that would shed it's mirror, or the EOS1 that wouldn't auto focus accurately under any condition, the Canon 5D that had a permanent magenta cast which rendered the camera useless for many pro shooters who depended on accurate flesh tones, the Nikon D7k that has a wealth of problems, the Canon that would throw machine oil from the mirror onto the sensor, etc.
The list could go on, but the point is, when you buy a camera, it's somewhat of a crap shoot, but the odds are in your favour that you will get one that operates fairly normally.
02-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Where did Hound Tooth go? Doesn't surprise me...
Hopefully back under the rock he crawled out from
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well I mainly use prime lenses since they will win in image quality of the most zooms. The DA*16-50 is a very nice lens, but I'm not a fan of it. Look into the Limited lens range and see wich one you like. They are small and nicely to fit in a small camerabag. The limited range had the 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro, 40mm and 70mm lenses.

The named 18-135mm is I think a nice lens, but that is big zoom and not a pro-lens like your L-lens. In image quality you can't compare them.