Veteran Member

This thread is useless without photos.

Jason
02-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
Keep Pentax honest. Send it back.
How are you keeping them honest if it turns out to be a spot that can be removed with proper cleaning?
02-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Pix or it didn't happen.

02-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
How are you keeping them honest if it turns out to be a spot that can be removed with proper cleaning?
I've tried every cleaning method at my disposal, short of a wet clean - not going to take the chance of introducing a problem that would have negated a return. Sucker does not budge.

For all of those asking for a pix:

FWIW, the camera is on its way back to B&H for a refund. I may try another source once I get my money back. May even wait a week or two for the stock to turn over a bit - not in a real hurry, but I would like to have one in my hands prior to a mid April trip. Though that's not a big deal either - my K7 and K10D can both do a good job.
02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a common dust speck.
Unfortunately, when people complain about things that occur "out of the box". they sometimes forget that they had to take the camera out of the box to see the problem.
Dust can happen between the time the camera is unpacked and the time it has a lens mounted, especially if the lens mounted isn't factory new.
02-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's a common dust speck.
With all due respect, I don't think so. From my previous message:

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I've tried every cleaning method at my disposal, short of a wet clean - not going to take the chance of introducing a problem that would have negated a return. Sucker does not budge.
Every (group of) spot(s) or speck(s) of dust that I have dealt with in the past (the ones I did introduce on a D, DS, K10D, and K7) would at least be moved around if I did not manage to clean it/them on the first or second attempt. See bolded text above.

If it was a common dust spot, I could and would have dealt with it. Usually a rocket blower or sensor brush takes care of any dust on the sensor. I've only had to wet clean a sensor one time.

Anyway, this thread is now moot. I've sent the camera back and will try another later.

02-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F22. Barely ever use it.
On another thread, complainant posted samples of spots taken at F32??????
Once in a blue moon, if then, would one refer to that aperture..

Not saying you are wrong or the thread isn't genuine, but I think even after fix/replace, how many times is one likely to use such small apertures.?
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I've tried every cleaning method at my disposal, short of a wet clean -
Looks like dust to me too, not the cell like clusters or strings of spots... (take it from a guy whose original camera had so many spots it almost looked like bacterial culture in a petrie dish!)

The replacement camera I got had a very dirty sensor and I had to wet-clean it several times, as blower did nothing. After cleaning it, the sensor was spotless.

Pat
02-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #25
Forum Member

They sent you a camera with a dirty sensor.....that does not sound good !
02-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
F22. Barely ever use it.
Once in a blue moon, if then, would one refer to that aperture.
Completely not the point. As has been stated countless times, if it IS a sensor stain, then it tends to become worse over time. What's only visible at F22 eventually becomes visible at F11, and who knows how far it would go? I'd rather know for sure right off the bat and get rid of a defective camera than sit there and wonder for the next 3 months.
02-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
F22. Barely ever use it.
Once in a blue moon, if then, would one refer to that aperture..

Not saying you are wrong or the thread isn't genuine, but I think even after fix/replace, how many times is one likely to use such small apertures.?
Yo, if you're referring to me as the "complainant" on another thread, I posted f32 samples because, had it been the case, at f32 the stains would show up immediately, saving me the time and trouble to take a shot for each stop and decide whether I'll ever shoot at that aperture or not. Stains weren't there when the camera was new, stains are there now (and it's not just a few dust-like specks), camera is under warranty, Pentax will take care of it. End of story, whether I'll ever use f32, or f22 or f-whatever, because what if I will?