Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahem. Yet another K5 with a stuborn spot...

Got my second K5 from B&H today, and lo and behold there is what appears to be a persistent spot on the sensor.

This one is smaller, and does not appear at f11 though clearly visible at f22.

So, I wondering if I should live with this, get another, or just write off the camera.......

I've seen larger dust bunnies on previous bodies, but I do expect a new ($1500) camera not to have such issues.

What say the hive?

PS. I've tried my Rocket Blower, and Sensor Brush, and the spot persist.....

Last edited by dhodgeh; 02-24-2011 at 04:45 PM.
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a small cloneable spot that only shows at f22? I'd keep it, and assume that someday it will come off when you clean the sensor.

If it is a single stain that will never come off - probably.
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it isn't Dust?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

02-24-2011, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A lot of people are getting paranoid that every little speck of dust on the K-5 is a stain. Not saying you necessarily are, but before you send it back, try cleaning the sensor using DR a few times, and make sure you enable DR upon startup. I haven't had dust issues since the K20 days!

In any case, Pentax is addressing this issue by a. not producing new K-5's with stains b. cleaning stained cameras and c. releasing a firmware fix for firmware (FF) issues. The K-5 is a great camera, shame to see so many being send back because of all these issues

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, I likewise wouldn't worry about it. If it really is a stain then Pentax will clean it for you for free.
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you send it in and they determine it is dust, will they charge for cleaning it off?
02-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A lot of people are getting paranoid that every little speck of dust on the K-5 is a stain.
+1

I found three of these last weekend on my K-5 sensor and it took about an hour of blowing and fiddling around with blowers and swabs to get it to release, but they are gone now. It didn't arrive like this, because the first thing I did after I got my stain replacement is check this.

02-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am baffled by this, and other reports of spots. I use the start up cleaning on my K20D and have never had a dust problem in over 20K shots......when one appears it is always removed by the cleaning action. I am not particularly careful when lens changing, so it just doesn't make sense to me? Maybe there are spots at times I don't notice, since F22 is a stranger to me, but if I look for them every day I might find them? Anything past F16 does not exist for me....unless I am looking for trouble....and who could be better than me at looking for trouble? Amazingly, quite a few!
Regards!
02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

never had this problem with my k200d and k-x when purchased.... new and pristine out of the box... and even when discovering a wee bit of dust (after lens changings) easily removed with the in camera tool and rocket blower.... i thought the dust removal tool was actually improved in later models...
fwiw.... seems that the manufacturing process for the k-5 was flawed on multiple fronts.... in this day and age quality assurances practices (i.e. iso standards et al) are implemented in production to avoid these issues....
it is mind boggling that the premier pro dslr (excluding the 645) from pentax could be so affected........ it's not unreasonable to expect a clean sensor .... or is it????

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 02-25-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: info
02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments.

I've dealt with dust issues since I saw my first spot on an image out of my *ist-D (along with a DS, K10D, and K7 since), and at this point, I don't think this spot is dust. Not saying it's a 'stain' either, but I don't think a $1500 camera should have such an anomaly out of the box.

It has resisted the dust removal tool, a rocket blower, and a sensor brush.

This is the same experience I had with the first K5 body I received.
02-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Thanks for all the comments.

I've dealt with dust issues since I saw my first spot on an image out of my *ist-D (along with a DS, K10D, and K7 since), and at this point, I don't think this spot is dust. Not saying it's a 'stain' either, but I don't think a $1500 camera should have such an anomaly out of the box.

This is the same experience I had with the first K5 body I received.
... fwiw don... do you have a reputable camera shop that can clean your sensor?
we are fortunate to have a local shop, great repair facility, and for 50 bucks, will do a bang up job.... had to use them for my old k100d that had no dust removal functionality.... might be worth giving this a shot... and fwiw... i'd send the bill/invoice to pentax for a refund..... best of luck... dave m
02-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

post an image

post an image of the spot
02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
My first k5d had the dreaded clusters and strings of pearls...

The replacement unit Pentax Canada sent me had a sensor so dirty, it took me several WET cleanings to get all the garbage off the sensor.

I have a feeling that they may have inspected the replacement stock in non clean room conditions (though by the amount of crap I had on my sensor you'd think they tested mine without a lens in a grain silo!)

You may want to try a few wet cleanings before taking any further steps.

Pat
02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I would completely ignore a single spot visible only at f22.
For one thing, that is very easily dealt with in pp, plus, I would have to check my photos with Exposure Plot, but I'll bet I only need the fingers of one hand to count the number of field photos I have taken at f22.
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #15

I would keep trying to get it off and if it still wont budge then I would send it back. At $1500, that sensor had better be pristine. But that's just me. Warrior Bee.