Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Dust Removal and SR

I just bought a K-5 (and have a K-x) I updated the K-5 firmware to 1.02

If I select Dust Removal ("wrench" menu #4), nothing happens, no vibration. This is after resetting the camera to factory settings ("wrench" menu #3). I don't think the SR or Dust Removal is working at all.

Some blurry pictures this morning, and granted it could have been me shaking from the cold.

Could a K-5 owner verify the camera vibrates when selecting Dust Removal? Thanks!

02-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

You don't feel or hear the dust removal on the K-7 and K-5. It is an ultra-sonic system rather than a slower shaking of the sensor.
02-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks - I sure can feel it wacking away on the K-x.

The new K-5 sensor is incredibly clean, not a hint of dust or "stain" at F22 on a couple of different lenses shot on a solid white/sky background.
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I have been shooting a lot with a K-7 - never had a dust problem. I think the new system is much better than the old.

02-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leadfoot Quote
I don't think the SR or Dust Removal is working at all.

Some blurry pictures this morning, and granted it could have been me shaking from the cold.
First check that SR On was selected on the menu.

Then, you must remember to wait 1-2 s for the SR light/icon to come on in the view finder, once you half-press the shutter.

In other words:
- hlaf-press the shutter
- wait for focus confirmation (hexagon)
- wait for the SR icon (Hand icon); it may take 1-2 s
- then shoot.

Many forget to wait for the SR icon to come on and the pictures are burry.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 02-25-2011 at 11:37 PM.
02-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The K-7 sensor clean is somewhat audible, especially without a lens attached, has a very hight pitched sound to it. I guess it varies from camera to camera. The K-5 sensor clean is so quiet you cant hear it.

Im one of those who take the lens off and try to put my ear inside the camera. Maybe i heard something in the K-5 Can not say for sure though!

The SR: In the K-5 the SR turns on almost instantly after half-press, a big step up from the lag in the K-7.

You may have a defect camera, we cant rule that out, so....

Hand hold the camera with your lens at 50mm or so. Select a medium slow shutterspeed like 1/30 and set aperture and ISO to get a nice exposure.

Now, half press the shutter button and pan the camera in circles in front of you (imaging that the camera is inside a car on a bumpy road). Take the picture, then turn of SR and do the same. Experiment a litle....

OR, this is easier! Turn the camera into Live View, move the camera, can you hear the SR working?
02-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Kannattaa lukea käyttöohjeet ja toimia niiden mukaan. Eikä uskoa kaikenmailman omastapäästä keksittyjä ohjeita. Säästää rahaa ja kameran.

02-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
If I put my ear to the back of the K-5, can definitely hear the dust removal, very high frequency. In live view there is a noticeable difference between SR and no SR, so it's working - just needed to look at it more carefully.

In live view, if I put my ear up to the K-5, I hear a slight whirring, and it's the same whether SR is on or not. K-x does the same thing, just a little louder.

Thanks for the tips.