Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #1

Spoke too soon.. (should have known better!)

I bought the K-5 in December, taking advantage of the cashback Pentax was offering at the time. As soon as it came home, I checked it for stains, and it was as clean as source water. Could I really have been spared from the dreaded stain disease?

But of course not.

Fast forward to one month later. After some minor video use I noticed a few spots (no more than 4-5) had appeared here and there. Could have been dust, of course, but they had the "stain" look. At any rate, they didn't really bother me as they were scarce and sparse.

Fast forward to another month later — tonight. This week I had to use the K-5 to shoot some videos for an upcoming event. Never actually got any temp warning, but I did use it for a long-ish chunk of time. So I did a quick sensor check, and lo and behold, I got an ugly cluster of stains right there, looking back at me and laughing.

Poof!
(Pictured left, a shot I took a month ago — see single spot; pictured right, a shot taken tonight — see the same spot... wasn't dust, then).

(Same pictures as above, different position — so you can see the cluster wasn't there a month ago, but appeared after heavy-duty use).

I guess a call to the shop/Pentax is in order. Does anyone know what the turnover for a replacement/repair is? I still need it next weekend for a job, but I plan on shipping it right afterwards, except, I will need it again at the end of March.. :-/

Last edited by hooverfocus; 02-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, they can develop even if initially the sensor was clean???
02-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Seems to be the case, but please keep in mind that mine was purchased in December and was coming from an early batch. Newer 39xxx cameras seem to be just fine.
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Seems to be the case, but please keep in mind that mine was purchased in December and was coming from an early batch. Newer 39xxx cameras seem to be just fine.
Thanks! I feel a bit better now. I recommended this camera to a friend, and the first one, purchased in December, came with stains. Now he ordered another one, and I really hope he will not have problems with it. Wish you a quick resolution of your camera's problem.

02-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed discussion of this problem seems to allude to a cumulative heat reaction with the sensor's coating leading to the emergence of these stains.

No idea of the turnaround time but no doubt you should have it replaced.
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Taking pictures at f32 is asking for troubles
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
Doesn't change the fact those things shouldn't be there, so better take this one pic at f32 now while it's still under warranty than maybe finding out "by chance" when it's too late

02-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
That doesn't mean you should be able to do it.

I don't know what the turnaround is in Switzerland but here in the USA, it took a full month from the time I dropped it off at the shipper.

02-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have been waiting for 42 days

Live in sweden and its Belgium who fu**s me in this matter. or its pentax japan who cant produce more cameras.
02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #10

This is very troubling, along with the autofocus problems I'm having I just don't understand what Pentax is thinking trying to market these cameras. This is awful.
02-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Yes, but only for cameras potentially subject to stains in the first place (manufactured up to week 49 2010, according to Pentax). That actually happened to my first K-5, after shooting some video a second stains streak appeared.
02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
This is very troubling, along with the autofocus problems I'm having I just don't understand what Pentax is thinking trying to market these cameras. This is awful.
Are you kidding?
02-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Yes, but only for cameras potentially subject to stains in the first place (manufactured up to week 49 2010, according to Pentax). That actually happened to my first K-5, after shooting some video a second stains streak appeared.
Hmm.. that's interesting - mine was purchased on December 20 do you know how to tell which week it was manufactured and if it's part of a "bad" batch?
02-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
What the f*ck would I be kidding about?

Shipping out a camera with stains on the sensor?

Shipping out a camera that doesn't seem to be able to focus in low indoor lighting?

Which one of those deficiencies is so absurd to you?
Relax. Clearly the fact that Pentax shipped out bodies with stained sensors was a mistake, one which is going to be very costly to Pentax to deal with both in terms of repaired units and bad PR. The focusing errors in very low light is also a potential issue which will hopefully be addressed.

I believe the "are you kidding" comment was directed at your post where you suggested that Pentax knowingly marketed these cameras with the above issues. I suppose you are free to believe that Pentax knowingly sold the cameras with full knowledge of the issues, but I for one disagree. I think it would have been nice if their QC was better, but I don't believe this was "intentional", which is what your post suggested.

And for the record, I'm now on my 3rd K-5, so I am fully aware of the issues and have a personal stake in how Pentax handles the above described issues.
02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Pentax knowingly sold the cameras with full knowledge of the issues,
Pentax is now selling cameras with stained sensors with full knowledge of the issues,. Markets here in sweden are full of pentax k-5 with old serienumbers and some of them are surely stained

Last edited by Purusam; 02-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.