Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
Pentax is now selling cameras with stained sensors with full knowledge of the issues,. Markets here in sweden are full of pentax k-5 with old serienumbers
Was every camera sold with those serial numbers stained?

02-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Was every camera sold with those serial numbers stained?
Not all But some of them.

Here in Umeå i know 3 Stainded cameras and i dont think they have sold more than 4-6 cameras the last period of time.

And at a another thread here in the forum, i read another swedish user who wrote that all Pentax k-5 was stainded when he asked the shop to check before he bought one.
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax is now selling cameras with stained sensors with full knowledge of the issues,. Markets here in sweden are full of pentax k-5 with old serienumbers and some of them are surely stained
Please do not quote me out of context, the way you have quoted me suggests that I think Pentax knowingly sold cameras with stains. My original quote was "I suppose you are free to believe that Pentax knowingly sold the cameras with full knowledge of the issues, but I for one disagree."

To clarify, when I refer to Pentax selling camera, I mean when they initally sold them to stores to then sell to customers. If there is still bad/old stock out there, it should be returned to Pentax to be checked and/or replaced. However, I stand by original statement that I do not believe Pentax initially shipped out cameras with a known sensor stain issue.

Last edited by dgaies; 02-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I mean when they initally sold them to stores to then sell to customers. If there is still bad/old stock out there, it should be returned to Pentax to be checked and/or replaced. However, I stand by original statement that I do not believe Penax initially shipped out cameras with a known sensor stain issue.
Sorry about the qote

We are in the same page about watning pentax to make a recal of all cameras with the old serienumbers so they can check them.

02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry about the qote

We are in the same page about watning pentax to make a recal of all cameras with the old serienumbers so they can check them.
No problem.

And yes, I agree that stock with serial numbers that preceed whatever cutoff number is "clean" should be recalled and checked (and repaired/replaced if needed). Now that the issue is know and out there, the burden should not fall on the customer to have to either return the camera to the store or send it back to Pentax for repair.
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
And yes, I agree that stock with serial numbers that preceed whatever cutoff number is "clean" should be recalled and checked (and repaired/replaced if needed). Now that the issue is know and out there, the burden should not fall on the customer to have to either return the camera to the store or send it back to Pentax for repair.
At least one here who thinks like me,

Regards
02-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
First, sorry, my language was not directed at you.

Second, I work in an environment where QA/QC can mean the difference between hundreds of millions of profit or hundreds of millions in lawsuits/death. So I understand the important of QA/QC.

Third, if Pentax failed to test their cameras to the degree that the end user would test it then they have failed as a competent manufacture to the masses in my opinion.

It really isn't that absurd to suggest that Pentax would have thoroughly tested their technology before publishing specs and releasing a product. I believe in this country we have developed a reputation for subpar products and quality assurance that these kind of problems and a whistle blower would be "kidding" if they were to even hint that Pentax just doesn't give a rats if a few "discerning" photogs find the obvious flaws. As an american, I feel we have exceptionally low standards, high regard for "political correctness" which then bleeds over into the realm of ultimately not holding anyone accountable for their mistakes and accepting the pluralist notion that everyone can be right while no one, yet something, is ultimately wrong here.
I see where you are coming from, and from that perspective I agree that Pentax dropped the ball by either 1) not properly testing their final product before shipping them out or by 2) sending them out with a known issue, hoping it would be cheaper to deal with it after the fact rather than delay the launch of the K-5. I didn't mean to come off as naive when I said I didn't think they would knowingly send out bad units... I guess what I meant was it seems like a foolish decision for them to do so, and as such I have trouble accepting that they would have done so. Then again, I could be wrong and it could have been a calculated choice, one which in hindsight (if true) probably doesn't look like such a great idea anymore.

02-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Niin kauvan, kun on sony kenno niin kauvan on tahra vaara olemassa.
02-28-2011, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #24

@Isucadien:
First of all, I don't care about your work or your personal issues. You owe me respect as you owe respect to anyone in this board, so please choose a more polite tone when "talking" to me or anyone else here.
Some people has already explained you what my question was about. I'll explain it again. You are suggesting something that is not real and speak about that like you have God's truth in your hand.

1- Pentax KNOWINGLY shipped bodies with stained sensors.
This would have been a suicide. VERY unlikely to happen.

2- Pentax STILL ships bodies with stained sensors.
Read point 1-

3- Pentax still SELLS, knowingly, bodies with stained sensors.
I don't know how thing works in your country, but here in Italy STORES sells items and companies PRODUCE items. So you should complain about your local stores or distributors. Here in Italy, the local Pentax distributor has already removed from the market stained stocks, and is giving new K-5s to stained-k-5 owners, in about 10 days, if some stained body still comes out from other stocks.
If you want to complain about something, complain about stores and/or local distributors, not about Pentax. Pentax is doing what a serious company does when something goes wrong on its production line. If local stores don't check goods they're selling, buy elsewere.
Companies buy huge stocks of electronic parts. Q.C. on this stuff is done by sample, they can't check each single part they buy.

Relax. Nobody here is shooting at your feet. We're just talkin' -.-'
02-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Ei hätää takuu on voimmassa ostopäivästä vuosi eteenpäin. Jos tahra saa uuden K-5
02-28-2011, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #26

I owe my respect to anyone, even if I don't know who he/she is and is just a name on a internet board, since I try to be civil and polite. This is only common sense and good manner. If you think this is odd, probably some moderator will explain you how we are expected to behave on a public internet board.
I asked you if you were kidding us with your statements, since I couldn't understand if you were serious or sarcastic. My fault, but I made a simple question.
I am not a truth bringer, so I use "would" or "could" instead of present simple, when I know I can't be 100% sure about what I say. So, read again my previous post.
If your point was only about QC, it wasn't clear at all in your previous post. I offered a different point of view about the topic "why people still find stained bodies in the stores", since THIS is what you were talking about at the beginning, not QC.
As for AF issues, Pentax HAS aknowledged the problem and is going to release a new firmware fix, so you seem to be wrong about that.

Good news for K-5 owners - Pentax Rumors - PentaxForums.com

If you don't care about other people's opinions, you are in the wrong place. This is a public board, a virtual place where people share thoughts, opinions, knowledge. You should write a book. People can't answer books.
03-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #27

Original Poster
I was reading the answers to the topic but it seems some have been removed...

So, uhm, anyway, today I called the service centre to see if they could give me an approximate turnaround time, and I was told it would be done in about 10 days. The guy also said it would be "repaired", which made me wonder... is it repairable at all? I always thought it would be a matter of replacing defective units instead of repairing them, although this might have been a case of "lost in translation", since the guy was German and only spoke limited French.

Either way, I'm gonna send it in next Monday and hopefully get it back in good working order before the 26th. Fingers crossed!
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Hmm.. that's interesting - mine was purchased on December 20 do you know how to tell which week it was manufactured and if it's part of a "bad" batch?
Don't know about Windows but on OSX you need to get ExifTool and use the terminal, or further download some droplets (same page, scroll down almost at the end) that make life much easier, then you can read the manufacture date and lots of other info.
Mine was manufactured on 2010-10-08 (so week 40, I think), I bought it on December 28th.
03-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
Thanks, I didn't realize it was that easy I use Linux, ExifTool come standard.

My K5 was manufactured on October 7.. no sensor stain (yet).. hopefully mine isn't one of the affected batches.
03-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Thanks, I didn't realize it was that easy I use Linux, ExifTool come standard.

My K5 was manufactured on October 7.. no sensor stain (yet).. hopefully mine isn't one of the affected batches.
Goody

I truly hope so for you! Although I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, as anticipated from this topic, mine was fine until it wasn't, and it took roughly two months of use for stains to become visible. For peace of mind (or not) you should check it up every once in a while.