Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Reviews Newpapers and Forums

Dont you guys think is strange that no big reviews of the pentax k-5 dont have noticed the stains.

Dont you guys think is strange that no big Newpapers noticed the stains of the pentax k-5 and wrote about it.

Its only the forums around the world who have noticed this.

Im thinking of all the people who doesnt read forums and so on.

Its also strange that pentax dont call all of the pentax cameras back.

In the local store here in Umeå sweden there is at least 4-5 kits with the k-5 with old serienumbers and at least 2-4 of them is surely Stainded.

02-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
Dont you guys think is strange that no big reviews of the pentax k-5 dont have noticed the stains.

Dont you guys think is strange that no big Newpapers noticed the stains of the pentax k-5 and wrote about it.

In the local store here in Umeå sweden there is at least 4-5 kits with the k-5 with old serienumbers and at least 2-4 of them is surely Stainded.
Based on what? Have you checked them yourself?

Web forum communities easilly get hooked up on this sort of things.

And I would certainly be pissed if they called my spotless camera back.
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I just sent one back to Umeå with stains and FF and all...
02-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it odd at all. Pentax says that perhaps 2% of the first run K5s had defective sensors.
The odds are really good that even the first run cameras are clear.
I got my K5 last October, and try as I might, I can't manage to get it to make a stained image.
So, why would they issue a general recall on something that is only affecting a small % of cameras?.
If you don't have proof that the cameras at your local store are defective, you really don't have anything to say on that subject.

02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax says that perhaps 2% of the first run K5s had defective sensors.
Maybe 2% of the camera owners check their cameras for defect sensor

The problem with the sensor can also develop over time as several threads in this forum says
02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I just sent one back to Umeå with stains and FF and all...

I dont know how many Pentax k-5 they sold in umeå but i dont think its many lets say they sold 5 cameras and 2 is turned in for defective sensor.

Can you count how many % that is.
02-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't think it odd at all. Pentax says that perhaps 2% of the first run K5s had defective sensors.
And you believe them? I don't. Several forums have indicated the number of stained sensor K-5s was over 50% in the first production runs, if simple extrapolation is to be observed.

02-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The review sites don't do typical shots at f16, f22.
Neither is it a 100% problem.
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #9

k-5 bodies in Sweden

Less than one week ago I visited a store held by one of the largest photo resellers in Sweden and checked their k-5's (in order to replace a k-7 I had). Four out of four bodies had sensor stains... The staff was very helpful though, and also said they would send the defect bodies to Pentax. Just for people to be aware that bad copies may still be found at major resellers.

Last edited by grub66; 02-27-2011 at 03:08 AM.
02-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grub66 Quote
Less than one week ago I visited a store held by one of the largest photo resellers in Sweden and checked their k-5's (in order to replace a k-7 I had). Four out of four bodies had sensor stains... The staff was very helpful though, and also said they would send the defect bodies to Pentax. Just for people to be aware that bad copies may still be found at major resellers.
'
Yes that is what i mean. If u pay over 1700 USD or 1300 euros on a Camera, You dont want it to be wrong built even if u dont notice it is the first year

Thats why i would like pentax to call back all cameras with the early serial number.
And this is why i DONT demanding a new camera from The store here in sweden, i beleive they are all stainded, or would develop stains over time.
This is also why i want newspapers to write about it so common people can have a chance to exchange thair expensive camera for a stain free camera.
the seconf hand value will be almost nothing if its stainded.
02-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's because the print media are rapidly becoming irrelevant?
02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Maybe it's because the print media are rapidly becoming irrelevant?
None of the online test sites caught it either.
Apparently every camera tester in the world is incompetent.
Why the stain thing is still a big deal, I don't know. It has always been a simple warranty issue which Pentax has done a pretty good job of dealing with.
People just like to whine.
02-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
wheatfield youre quite ignorant. I read a few of your earlier post on this forum and youre a big fan of pentax youre defending them all of the time !!! , i like pentax too but with this camera pentax k-5 is a disaster for thoose who got a stainded sensor.

I Dont like to whine becouse there is a reson why i whine and the reson is the problem.
But if you cant se that yourare to ignorant and intolerant to understand other people and theres feelings.
I saved money for two years to buy a new camera and 2 new lenses.

I have been waiting 42 days since i was sending my camera for replacement.
Dont you think i have the right to whine?

If not dont answear.

Last edited by Purusam; 02-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
02-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wheatfield youre quite ignorant. I read a few of your earlier post on this forum and youre a big fan of pentax youre defending them all of the time !!! , i like pentax too but with this camera pentax k-5 is a disaster for thoose who got a stainded sensor.
A disaster is an earthquake in New Zealand, a tsunami in Indonesia, a flood in Australia. A stained sensor that will be replaced is a minor inconvenience. At most.....
02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

jrforman you have to be real stupid!!

I have not English as a first language, så please dont mark words like that.

Any normal Person would se that the eartquake in new zeeland or the tsnunami in thailand
is a bigger disaster then the Stained cameras. This is a luxury problem.

I dont understand WHY i have to defend myself, just becouse i got a very bad camera and is pissed off. And thinks that people have the right to know if thair expansive camera is stained or not.

Pentax made a big misstake !!!!!!! Period. Noone can defend stained cameras. This thread make me belive that pentax euntusiast are moorons,
I've been dealing with camera problems of one sort or another since I started taking pictures over 4 decades ago.
I had a Spotmatic that would occasionally drop the film on take up, an Olympus OM1 with a meter that worked sometimes, a Nikon F2s with a meter that didn't work at all in cold weather due to contraction of the metal causing the contacts to separate, a Bronica ETRs that would, for no reason, pop open it's film back and drop the film out, a Nikon F3 that would shed lenses while being carried over my shoulder, LX bodies with sticky mirror, and light meter resistors that would oxidize and cause flaky exposures, as well as the stupidest flash control ever put on a camera, Pentax 6x7 cameras that had inconsistent film advance, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few others.
My *istD was so slow that it was useless as a wedding camera, as well as having the worst TTL flash control I have ever seen, my K10 and K20 both metered so badly that I had to take a picture, check the histogram, adjust and shoot again, and I have yet to have an auto focus SLR that I thought had dependable auto focus.
My hit ratio with AF on the K10, K20 and K7 is abysmally low, and all three cameras have cost me pictures because they would not AF.
With this background, can you see why I don't think sensor stains are that big a deal?
Or do you think I'm a moron for not having taken up another line of work than professional photography?

Every manufacturer makes the occasional flawed product. Nikon has, Canon has, if you want to move out of cameras, you will find that every car maker has.
As a user, I have found that the best redress I have for a flawed camera is to decide if I can live with the flaw, and move on if I can or use the warranty if I can't, and I feel this is the grown up way to deal with this sort of thing.
If this puts us on opposite side of the moron debate, well, that's life.