Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
With this background, can you see why I don't think sensor stains are that big a deal?
Well whats not an big deal for you, maybe is a big deal for me ever thought about that ?
I dont care how many cameras you had before, or what problems they had. nor if youre a proffessional photographer.

I bought a Pentax k-5 as thousands of other people did and my was bad built from factory.
Thats my pain in the back. And i know there is more people who dont like this too

If i can live with the flaw? yes sure but im not paying 1200 Euros or 1700 USd for it.

Lets Pay half The price ? or buy a chinese copy.

If all thinks like you in this matter, we would have crap Elecronics everyvear. Let say Just live with the flaw. (irony)

DEMANDS and criticism makes products better

Ignorance makes them worse.

Last edited by Purusam; 02-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
Well whats not an big deal for you, maybe is a big deal for me ever thought about that ?
I dont care how many cameras you had before, or what problems they had. nor if youre a proffessional photographer.

I bought a Pentax k-5 as thousands of other people did and my was bad built from factory.
Thats my pain in the back. And i know there is more people who dont like this too
Blah blah blah blah

you know what's ignorant? Acting like a child and insulting long time members of this forum. You need to take it down a notch.

If you don't like your K-5, return it and buy a Nikon..
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
So this forum has Hierarchy? if youre new youre wrong, and if youre long time member youre always right,

I like pentax i had a k-7 before i bought my k-5.

But you guys are not even listening. Only defendning pentax misstakes.

you can say im a child i think all of us have a child inside us i dont care.

Like i said before

And right now Pentax is selling Sensor stainded cameras here in sweden. probarly all over the world.
but yeah we shut it down we dont speak about it, people dont have to know anything they can live with the flaw. Yeah right!!!
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's look at some facts and wrap this up:
-An unacceptable number of K-5's produced in 2010 had stained sensors
-Pentax has officially acknowledged the problem
-Pentax has offered free cleaning of stained sensors for owners of affected cameras
-Pentax has resolved the problem in K-5's currently being produced

You can analyze K-5 stain trends here:
Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com When I last looked at the data, the number of stain incidents had decreased sharply since October. It does suggest that stained cameras are still on the shelves, but nothing can be done about that I doubt even Pentax knows which SN's are affected.

In other words, Pentax has done everything that they could to fix the situation. A complete recall isn't quite appropriate, however, as the problem isn't safety related.

With this in mind, further discussion can only be speculative in nature. Yes, Pentax messed up bigtime, and yes, the K-5 lost a lot of potential, but complaining won't fix that. What will fix it, however, is:
-reporting stained bodies in our serial number database
-sending in your K-5's and getting them cleaned rather than exchanged

I recommend everyone do the above. And if this thread gets out of hand, let's just say I've got some new tricks up my sleeve

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
n other words, Pentax has done everything that they could to fix the situation. A complete recall isn't quite appropriate, however, as the problem isn't safety related.
Adam i dont think they have done all they can, They can order the resellers to either check the cameras in the warehouses or send the old batches back for checking either to main distbutor or pentax japan. So they can replace them with new fresh ones

In fact as i said before there are still stained sensors in the warehouses in sweden. I havent checked them but the math says thats how it is.

Mediamarkt where i bought my pentax had 4 kits left from the batch and delivery

All i want is what happend to me, i dont want to happend to other people.
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
-sending in your K-5's and getting them cleaned rather than exchanged
What do you mean with this ?

Can the stain be cleaned away ?
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

-Pentax has offered free cleaning of stained sensors for owners of affected cameras
FYI the stained sensors are completely replaced and not cleaned.

02-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Kannattaa tutkia K-5 kenno, ennen kun takuuaika loppuu. Tahrat voivat ilmestyy viellä ollessaan kuvauksessa kauvvan. Saa vaihdettua kameran ennenkuin takuu loppuu.

Last edited by 30v iPentax; 02-28-2011 at 01:27 AM.
03-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
DEMANDS only makes people bitter.
Bringing faults to the attention of sellers/manufacturers, and expecting value for money may well make products better. But it all seems a bit pointless when the manufacturer is aware of the problem and is fixing the problem.
Pentax have screwed up badly here - I think everyone agrees.
What people don't agree with is the need for insults flowing because we all have a different opinion on the best course of action (for both purchaser and Pentax) and the different needs of each purchaser.
Why don't we all have a cold shower and try and show some respect for each other?
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #25

This thread is going exactly where this one went. I wanted to say something about that ... but I think I'll stop feeding the trolls. I'll go to take some shots, it's far more healthy
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
Banned

Anyone like to start a moorons club/thread
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As a user, I have found that the best redress I have for a flawed camera is to decide if I can live with the flaw, and move on if I can or use the warranty if I can't, and I feel this is the grown up way to deal with this sort of thing.
AMEN to that

Are the sensor dust problems so critical that they screw up all your pictures?
Or did you only notice them when you looked for them? (But were happy with your pictures before)

Trolls beware
The end result is far more influenced by your ability as an "photographer" than your equipment and it's "failings"

A BAD WORKMAN BLAMES HIS TOOLS
03-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
AMEN to that

Or did you only notice them when you looked for them? (But were happy with your pictures before)

Trolls beware
The end result is far more influenced by your ability as an "photographer" than your equipment and it's "failings"

qft.

My original K-5 sensor had the stains and I had it replaced, not because it was affecting the images I typically shot, but because I expect to eventually resell it and upgrade, and I didn't want the resale value to be compromised. Unless I were to get into stacked macros or something, it was an issue I could have lived with for an indefinite period of time.

Anyway, kudos to Pentax for replacing the affected units for free.
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I guess since everyone is living with their K5's flaws (stains, FF, flash) Pentax has less motivation to fix them. I got a stained one with a build date of mid-January. Somone has a K5 for sale at a discount in the market place and it has been snapped up (not). The K5 is fine according to the owner (and I believe him), but the unresolved issues make people nervous to buy a used one. That is people who read the forums. The K5 with all the glowing press, will attract a large number of people who have never tried Pentax. Increased sales volume will be the result and again Pentax has less motivation to solve the K5's problems. People still bought SDM lenses even after the defects became known and we saw how motivated Pentax was to acknoledge the problem and state that it had been fixed. Raise your hand if you are completely worry free when purchasing a used lens with SDM from the marketplace today. Firmware fix version 1.03 where arrrrrrre you????
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
AMEN to that

Trolls beware

Seriously?

I’ve been one to argue that this "poor workman" saying is being misused in a way that misses it’s intended meaning, but this?! Would you care to explain how the “poor workman” saying you invoked is relevant to the “sensor stain” issue? Is it your understanding that the stains are a physical manifestation of users' poor photographic skills?

-XM