Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
black circle stamp on the serial number sticker of my K-5

Does anyone know what the black circle stamp on lower left of the K-5 serial number sticker (on the box) might mean.

I have a theory, but I thought I'd ask if anyone might know the actual answer before I theorize. From what I can recall, there was no stamp on my previous two K-5 stickers (both returned with sensor stains).




Last edited by dgaies; 02-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
02-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,176
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Does anyone know what the black circle stamp on lower left of the K-5 serial number sticker might mean.

I have a theory, but I thought I'd ask if anyone might know the actual answer before I theorize. From what I can recall, there was no stamp on my previous two K-5 stickers (both returned with sensor stains).
Such a mark appears on the box that my K5 came in, but not on the camera.
Also the serial number on the box has 6 additional digits on it that do not appear on the camera itself. Hopefully it means that these are the 'improved' model
in some respect.
02-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
campdog's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bonny Hills, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 202
Oh no. you got one with a viral sensor spot infection.They have started spreding to other parts of the camera. Wash your hands after use.

John
02-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Such a mark appears on the box that my K5 came in, but not on the camera..
Yeah, I meant the mark was on the sticker on the box, nor on the camera itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Oh no. you got one with a viral sensor spot infection.They have started spreding to other parts of the camera. Wash your hands after use.
It actually never even crossed my mind that the mark was similar to the sensor stain shape

02-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 190
Around early to mid January, I read on a couple of German Pentax forums, that the circle indicated K-5 stock that had been checked and released as "stain free". Unfortunately some of these were still affected, as at that time the nature was not fully understood, i.e., that the stains could develop over time. I don't know if the "circle" is still a current method of identifying checked goods, or if your sample is from older stock.
02-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Around early to mid January, I read on a couple of German Pentax forums, that the circle indicated K-5 stock that had been checked and released as "stain free". Unfortunately some of these were still affected, as at that time the nature was not fully understood, i.e., that the stains could develop over time. I don't know if the "circle" is still a current method of identifying checked goods, or if your sample is from older stock.
Thanks for the info. My sensor is currently stain free, but I realize that doesn't preclude the possibility of them developing over time. I'll just keep my fingers crossed
02-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 190
According to this post (link below) from 'henryk', the serial number of the K-5 he sent in for repair is in the same range as yours, assuming the number on the sticker of your box is related to your K-5's serial number. Check out this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130021-sent-my-k5-pentax...ml#post1397812

Hope it goes well for you...
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
According to this post (link below) from 'henryk', the serial number of the K-5 he sent in for repair is in the same range as yours, assuming the number on the sticker of your box is related to your K-5's serial number. Check out this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130021-sent-my-k5-pentax...ml#post1397812

Hope it goes well for you...
Thanks for the link. I actually read that one tonight, and paid extra attention to it as the serial numbers are very close (and if I recall, the build dates are actually the same). Looks like in that case there was just dust (albeit stubborn) on the sensor and in the end that sensor wasn't replaced. Perhaps that bodes well for my K-5

02-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evanston IL
Posts: 61
As I've said before, the spots on my K-5's sensor were dust, not the dreaded stains, as I discovered when CRIS sent my camera back with a clean sensor. (No charge.) What fooled me were the dark centers with halos that appeared after I had used movie mode for about 15 minutes. It did not occur to me that those spots probably were there before I heated up the sensor.

The build date of my K-5 (Serial 3965XXX) is 12/10/11 and, yes, the number on the box has the "O" on it.

I live in a very dry house with a very sheddy dog. In such an environment all my cameras -- ist DS, K10D, K20D and now the K-5 -- are dust magnets. I've now learned how to wet clean the sensors (it's not hard at all; just take your time) and hope to stay clear of those floating micro-asteroids.

Am I watching for stains still? You bet. I think I'm OK, but you never can tell.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, circle, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, stamp, sticker
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D serial number Akage Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 04-07-2014 02:48 PM
Serial Number Database royal07 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 10-15-2010 05:04 PM
DA* 50-135mm serial number hyyz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 08-27-2009 10:26 AM
Serial number question K1000_Ron Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 06-09-2009 06:06 PM
lens serial number oatman911 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-24-2009 12:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top