Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Free extended warranty on K-5?

Last year, for some period of time, Pentax USA provided free 2y extended warranties to k-7 customers who asked for it. Has anyone checked whether they are doing the same for the k-5? With the QC issues after initial release, this could conceivably be a good move on their part.

02-27-2011, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
Last year, for some period of time, Pentax USA provided free 2y extended warranties to k-7 customers who asked for it. Has anyone checked whether they are doing the same for the k-5? With the QC issues after initial release, this could conceivably be a good move on their part.
Just a note, Pentax offered the warranty on the K20D for free as well for a period of time. This "extended" warranty is different from the normal one year (USA). It includes at anytime, one free tune/check up. This is a really nice benefit for typical users. After 3 years of use something probably needs to be calibrated. Pentax will check AF, shutter speed, alignments...

Be careful! When I bought my K20D from my local shop Adrays of Dearborn, B&H was advertising the K20D with an option to buy the extended two year (total 3) warranty for $20! Its free but they were charging for it.

Also know this warranty can be bought from Pentax when its not free. During the K20D time it was $100 for it. You had I believe 60 days or perhaps more to buy it. You did not have to buy the warranty the same time you bought the K20D. You were given a good bit of time.

The K-7 also for a time came with the Pentax extended warranty for free. Chances are high IMO that the K-5 does as well (USA) I say that because B&H is again offering the Pentax extended warranty for $20. Either way get it, even if you have to pay the $20.

Now this is IMHO but when I buy a new Pentax dSLR I will buy the extended warranty no ifs ands or buts. Its worth every single penny and unless you really have cash to burn its almost a most have purchase like insurance on your car.
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Just a note, Pentax offered the warranty on the K20D for free as well for a period of time. This "extended" warranty is different from the normal one year (USA). It includes at anytime, one free tune/check up. This is a really nice benefit for typical users. After 3 years of use something probably needs to be calibrated. Pentax will check AF, shutter speed, alignments...

Be careful! When I bought my K20D from my local shop Adrays of Dearborn, B&H was advertising the K20D with an option to buy the extended two year (total 3) warranty for $20! Its free but they were charging for it.

Also know this warranty can be bought from Pentax when its not free. During the K20D time it was $100 for it. You had I believe 60 days or perhaps more to buy it. You did not have to buy the warranty the same time you bought the K20D. You were given a good bit of time.

The K-7 also for a time came with the Pentax extended warranty for free. Chances are high IMO that the K-5 does as well (USA) I say that because B&H is again offering the Pentax extended warranty for $20. Either way get it, even if you have to pay the $20.

Now this is IMHO but when I buy a new Pentax dSLR I will buy the extended warranty no ifs ands or buts. Its worth every single penny and unless you really have cash to burn its almost a most have purchase like insurance on your car.
I bought the Pentax extended warranty for my K-5 through Pentax CS. You have 90 days after purchase to get it, and it's $99.99 + tax and shipping, so $113.39 total. When purchasing over the phone, you have to fax or e-mail them a copy of your invoice as proof of purchase, then they send you the card. On the card, it says that you have to register either on line or by phone, but this apparently is no longer a requirement as I couldn't find any provision on the Pentax Imaging site to register, and when I called, the CS rep told me that it was no longer necessary.

For warranty work in the first year, you send the camera with a copy of the invoice. After the first anniversary, you send the camera, a copy of the invoice, and a copy of the extended warranty card.

The free check up is worth the price alone, IMO. I had gotten the free extended warranty with the K-7, and will purchase it for any subsequent body that I might buy (If it's not offered as a sales incentive, of course).

Scott
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote

Thanks for the advice. Will be certain to get it shortly after purchasing the k-5.

02-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Eihän kameran keskiikä ole, kun 2 vuotta. Silloin se yleensä päivitetään jo muutenkin uuteen malliin.