Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 - A Canon User's Perspective

In the Pentax forum at DPR there is a new thread with this subject line.

"K5: A Canon user's perspective"

I think some will find the read refreshing, I did at least.

This is the link if it is allowed

K5: A Canon user's perspective: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

My apologies to all if it is not

02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's nice to see a logical sane person discuss the differences.
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kind of agree that it is refreshing to hear people from another camp. I do agree with most of the stuff about ergonomics that we in the Pentax world have taken it for granted. For example, the lock button on the mode dial was once introduced by this Chinese guy on the 60D was a joke.... he kept repeating it many times in that vidoe that it is a Canon introduced it first... (not knowing of course, that K-7 already have that feature for a year).
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

I hate the locking mode dial on the K-7. It is very difficult for me to turn it, I never accidentally switched modes with my k10...

02-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
I hate the locking mode dial on the K-7. It is very difficult for me to turn it, I never accidentally switched modes with my k10...
It is because you never use your camera enough... just kidding . I have it knocked off to a different mode many times on my K10D, especially when you hand the camera to someone to take a picture of you. Once you get used to the lock button mode dial, you don't want to go back. It is so easy to change the mode with the lock button but only if it is your intent, not accidental.
02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
it's nice to read someone sane discussing about the K-5 and not the all other stuff of brand like lenses. It's nice too see that compared to those giants (Nikon, and Canon), Pentax did a real good stuff on ergonomics
02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tästähän on tullut, kun kaatopaikka johon sotketaan kaikenmailman romuja. Pentax on ilman vertailujakin ihan hyvä. Mutta kaikki käyttäjät eivät ole yhtä hyviä. Siinä ne viat ilmenee parhaiten.
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Just reading on a Flickr Forum where a shooter got a "new" D300, and was fast at finding things that were not as good as Pentax for her use.....and another D300 shooter that chimed in and said he liked the K20D IQ better.
None of us ever seem completely satisfied, something is always in the wrong place or missing altogether. If the K5 gets straightened out, it will be very close to all the desires I have in a camera. My K20D even comes fairly close. I have a X100 coming soon, and I am seriously doubting that it will meet any of my needs, other than being small, and Very Good Looking!
Regards!

02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It was a refreshing read, all his likes are things as Ron mentioned we take for granted. most of his gripes about canon i also take for granted (designed by engineers for engineers)
Still I would take a 5d mkII in a heartbeat if it was offered, but the K5 addresses most of what makes that the better camera
02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just reading on a Flickr Forum where a shooter got a "new" D300, and was fast at finding things that were not as good as Pentax for her use.....and another D300 shooter that chimed in and said he liked the K20D IQ better.
None of us ever seem completely satisfied, something is always in the wrong place or missing altogether. If the K5 gets straightened out, it will be very close to all the desires I have in a camera. My K20D even comes fairly close. I have a X100 coming soon, and I am seriously doubting that it will meet any of my needs, other than being small, and Very Good Looking!
Regards!
I have to agree. My K7 I actually like better for shooting than my K20 due to ergonomics, even though the K20 has a little better high iso ability. K5 seems to fix all of the issues with the K7 -- it just happens to have some issues itself. Hopefully the problems with the K5 will be fixed. I would then sell my K20 and use the K7 to back up my K5....
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks for that link, it was useful
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It was a refreshing read, all his likes are things as Ron mentioned we take for granted. most of his gripes about canon i also take for granted (designed by engineers for engineers)
Still I would take a 5d mkII in a heartbeat if it was offered, but the K5 addresses most of what makes that the better camera
Eddie, I diagree with your preference, not because of the camera, but because I don't want to lug around a heavy camera when I am travelling (K-7 or K-5 is the right size to take it with me anywhere). But that is just my preference.
02-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Eddie, I diagree with your preference, not because of the camera, but because I don't want to lug around a heavy camera when I am travelling (K-7 or K-5 is the right size to take it with me anywhere). But that is just my preference.
I have a 7 and would use it for travel, but for artistic reasons the FF DOF and noise levels are appealing
I actually hate the way canons operate, nothing intuitive about them. If I had to pay for it I would look at Nikon before canon any day for FF (or hang on and pray pentax drops one)
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a 7 and would use it for travel, but for artistic reasons the FF DOF and noise levels are appealing
I actually hate the way canons operate, nothing intuitive about them. If I had to pay for it I would look at Nikon before canon any day for FF (or hang on and pray pentax drops one)
The desire to get a FF is still with us... albeit lesser since the arrival of k-5. Hopefully someday and not too distant future, the k-3 will be within reach much to the delight of every Pentaxian.
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd have to say the quick switch button to switch between video and photos is pretty nice on the 7D. Well, the button juts out pretty far (accidental switching?) and looked kind of goofy, but the underlying concept of quick switch would be nice. Maybe a dial like the K10D uses for the shake reduction on/off button would work best.