Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to have these functions in my k-5

1. When I press the AE-L button or green button while built in flash is opened and ON I would love my k-5 to make a test flash to evaluate the power of flash needed during next snap. very usefull option !!!!

2. AF Fine adjustment gives prioroty to the 'apply all' over the 'apply one' option.
I would love to have a choice which setting is more important for me. in my situation 'apply one' should have priority. Pentax could add this choice to custom setup

3. while I turn multiexposure ON and continuous shooting ON at the same time camera automatically turns multiexposure OFF. why? having both options at the same time turned ON could produce interesting 'strobo effect' exposure in a single frame. could be very usefull in situations like this:

4. combining 3 phots or more taken with no delay as in hdr mode into one to reduce noise at high iso. some new cameras have this option. alpha 55 for example. why k-5 does not?

5. fisheye effect shoud have bigger radius. now it produces 'bubble' in the center of the picture instead the real fisheye effect covering all the frame.

6. digital neutral filter that could longer the exposure time without changing the aperture value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions:

a. what do You think about these propositions?
b. how can We present such requests to Pentax?

all of these changes could be included in next update. it could increase k-5 versatility and make this great camera even better without investing big money.

btw... I realy like my k-5

Last edited by 006; 02-28-2011 at 04:45 PM.
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

+1 I like all of these suggestions! And I love my K-5!
02-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've read that some owners are having difficulty assigning a focal fine tune adjustment to more than one Sigma lens at a time. I would suggest that the Fine Tune adjustment be allowed to be assigned to unknown lenses A thru Z, in case of more than one unknown lens. I don't know if Tamron lenses have this problem or not. Since we don't have Pentax lenses, particularly zoom and tele lens for many focal lengths, this action would allow owners to fill out their lens collection with 3rd party lenses where necessary, e.g. the largest current Pentax focal length is 300mm. the largest current zoom is 60-250mm..

I don't have a K5 yet but am anticipating buying one as soons as the focus adjustment is figured out. For those that have them - does this suggestion make sense?

best wishes,
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've read that some owners are having difficulty assigning a focal fine tune adjustment to more than one Sigma lens at a time. I would suggest that the Fine Tune adjustment be allowed to be assigned to unknown lenses A thru Z, in case of more than one unknown lens. I don't know if Tamron lenses have this problem or not. Since we don't have Pentax lenses, particularly zoom and tele lens for many focal lengths, this action would allow owners to fill out their lens collection with 3rd party lenses where necessary, e.g. the largest current Pentax focal length is 300mm. the largest current zoom is 60-250mm..

I don't have a K5 yet but am anticipating buying one as soons as the focus adjustment is figured out. For those that have them - does this suggestion make sense?

best wishes,
the same value of final tune can be assigned to all the lenses, but option 'apply one' is available only if body can recognize specific lens model. if not - there is no point / way to assign special final focus value for exact lens.
if You are talking about the ff issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/134215-lumolabs-pentax...ml#post1398032

it's to be fixed with 1.03 firmware update.

02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 006 Quote
1. When I press the AE-L button or green button while built in flash is opened and ON I would love my k-5 to make a test flash to evaluate the power of flash needed during next snap. very usefull option !!!!

2. AF Fine adjustment gives prioroty to the 'apply all' over the 'apply one' option.
I would love to have a choice which setting is more important for me. in my situation 'apply one' should have priority. Pentax could add this choice to custom setup

3. while I turn multiexposure ON and continuous shooting ON at the same time camera automatically turns multiexposure OFF. why? having both options at the same time turned ON could produce interesting 'strobo effect' exposure in a single frame. could be very usefull in situations like this:

4. combining 3 phots or more taken with no delay as in hdr mode into one to reduce noise at high iso. some new cameras have this option. alpha 55 for example. why k-5 does not?

5. fisheye effect shoud have bigger radius. now it produces 'bubble' in the center of the picture instead the real fisheye effect covering all the frame.

6. digital neutral filter that could longer the exposure time without changing the aperture value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions:

a. what do You think about these propositions?
b. how can We present such requests to Pentax?

all of these changes could be included in next update. it could increase k-5 versatility and make this great camera even better without investing big money.

btw... I realy like my k-5
Hi 006,

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at. . .

1. I don't quite understand why you would want to pre-meter the popup flash like this. P-TTL pretty much just controls flash power and duration, and you can use Flash Comp to vary it further. If your purpose is to balance ambient with flash, and/or controlling DOF, then using M or x mode, pre-metering for ambient, then allowing P-TTL to determine flash exposure pretty much takes care of this. BTW, you want a fixed ISO for this also. Setting up a fixed aperture in M or X modes allows you to control DOF. With the later bodies, in any Auto Mode, the camera sets the Av, Tv and/or ISO for a correct exposure without the flash, so your control over these is limited or non existent.

2. Fine focus adj allows you to choose between apply all and apply one for each lens. There is only one "unidentified" lens setting, and this will apply to any non-identified lens. . . The only real limitation is that you have to change settings if you have a number of "unidentified" lenses. This could be improved by having multiple unID'd lens slots as Phil suggested, but the Marketing guys who want you to buy new lenses would probably object. I'm thankful that we get the backward lens compatibility that we have and tend not to push them for more. . . It's really not to their benefit financially, so why get greedy. . .?

3. My K-5 will shoot in both Continuous Hi or Low in MultiExposure mode. You have to first set up the shutter to Continuous before choosing Multiex in the menu, set the # of exposures and whether you want Ev comp or not, and make sure you press the OK button to exit the MultiEx screen to shoot the series. You will be automatically returned to the MultiEx screen after the series is complete, I believe that any changes made to the modes cancels a previously set MultiEx. You can change exposure parameters afteward though.

4. I don't know about this.

5. If you're speaking particularly about the DA10-17, or I believe any of the FE lenses available in APS-C in K mount, I believe that they are all diagonal FEs, not circular FEs, and this is the way that diagonal FEs render. Circular FEs for 135mm film are cropped for the digital K mounts, so would no longer be truly circular. You seem to be asking for something that isn't made for our cameras that I'm aware of.

6. MultiExposure mode, with Exposure Compensation does this. The Ex Comp cuts the metered exposure of the scene by the same factor as the number of MultiExs chosen, so when you choose 1/10 sec at f22 and 9 exposures, you get 9 ea 1/10 sec exposures and an effective 9/10 sec ar f22 (or something like that). Using a tripod to control any camera motion, this effectively gives you @ a 3.2 stop digital ND filter. I haven't had the chance to use this, but I've seen others demonstrate it effectively to take "milky" flowing water shots in full daylight without ND filters.

Again, I may have misunderstood your post, so excuse me if I haven't addressed your issues.

Scott
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi 006,

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at. . .

1. I don't quite understand why you would want to pre-meter the popup flash like this. P-TTL pretty much just controls flash power and duration, and you can use Flash Comp to vary it further. If your purpose is to balance ambient with flash, and/or controlling DOF, then using M or x mode, pre-metering for ambient, then allowing P-TTL to determine flash exposure pretty much takes care of this. BTW, you want a fixed ISO for this also. Setting up a fixed aperture in M or X modes allows you to control DOF. With the later bodies, in any Auto Mode, the camera sets the Av, Tv and/or ISO for a correct exposure without the flash, so your control over these is limited or non existent.

2. Fine focus adj allows you to choose between apply all and apply one for each lens. There is only one "unidentified" lens setting, and this will apply to any non-identified lens. . . The only real limitation is that you have to change settings if you have a number of "unidentified" lenses. This could be improved by having multiple unID'd lens slots as Phil suggested, but the Marketing guys who want you to buy new lenses would probably object. I'm thankful that we get the backward lens compatibility that we have and tend not to push them for more. . . It's really not to their benefit financially, so why get greedy. . .?

3. My K-5 will shoot in both Continuous Hi or Low in MultiExposure mode. You have to first set up the shutter to Continuous before choosing Multiex in the menu, set the # of exposures and whether you want Ev comp or not, and make sure you press the OK button to exit the MultiEx screen to shoot the series. You will be automatically returned to the MultiEx screen after the series is complete, I believe that any changes made to the modes cancels a previously set MultiEx. You can change exposure parameters afteward though.

4. I don't know about this.

5. If you're speaking particularly about the DA10-17, or I believe any of the FE lenses available in APS-C in K mount, I believe that they are all diagonal FEs, not circular FEs, and this is the way that diagonal FEs render. Circular FEs for 135mm film are cropped for the digital K mounts, so would no longer be truly circular. You seem to be asking for something that isn't made for our cameras that I'm aware of.

6. MultiExposure mode, with Exposure Compensation does this. The Ex Comp cuts the metered exposure of the scene by the same factor as the number of MultiExs chosen, so when you choose 1/10 sec at f22 and 9 exposures, you get 9 ea 1/10 sec exposures and an effective 9/10 sec ar f22 (or something like that). Using a tripod to control any camera motion, this effectively gives you @ a 3.2 stop digital ND filter. I haven't had the chance to use this, but I've seen others demonstrate it effectively to take "milky" flowing water shots in full daylight without ND filters.

Again, I may have misunderstood your post, so excuse me if I haven't addressed your issues.

Scott

ad1. my k-5 can not adjust popup flash power properly when manual lens is installed. for instance smc-k 50mm. this option could solve the problem. in my canon 550 only this option allowes to shoot proper phots with popup and manual lens installed.

ad2. maybe I haven't explained the right way...

there is a note in the instruction page 127 "even when an adjustment has been saved using apply one etc, etc ......... value". Doesn't this mean, that when both (apply one and apply all) values are set to different than zero number - camera gives priority to 'apply all' value. even if not, it's unclear which setting is used at the moment.

ad3. YEAH! great. thank You for this suggestion. this works for me. i had to setup things in different order. my mistake.

ad4. ...

ad5. I'm just talking about digital = software effect / filter.

ad6. I must check this option, but I'm afraid this isn't the way that could help us receive the same brightnes when shooting for example at (1: iso100, time 1/200, f=2,8) that the brightness obtained when schooting at (2: iso 100, time 1/2, f=2,8 with neutral filter ON)

anyway thank You for Your post. it's great, that people can comunicate here
03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 006 Quote

Well, you simply have to turn continuous shooting ON before turning multiexposure ON. It works on my K5, and the multiexposure pics are shot at 7fps.
But in your example, the moving dancer will take a ghost-like appearance...

For proposal 4), it's already available through multiexposure and Ev Comp... But you'll be limited to 7 fps, so not good with moving objects, and there is no auto-align...

03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi 006,

Scott
When i bought into the Pentax SLR brand in 2007, I made a conscious decision to buy Pentax vice Olympus for only 1 reason: Pentax had 3rd party lens manufacturers and Olympus did not. I felt the competition of 3rd party lens manufacturers made for a healthier lens market. Now i'm wondering if more purchasers shunned Olympus 4/3 SLRs for the same reason i did. I did like their small SLRs at the time such as the 410 model.

So i would say this to PENTAX Representatives who may be reading this: If you want to continue to prosper as an SLR maker, you will make it easier to use 3rd zoom lenses. Or suffer Olympus's fate.

Pentax continues to make prime lenses with screw focus adjustments. But Pentax makes no more zoom lenses with screw focus adjustments. And Pentax doesn't yet have the public's perception of a reliable IN-LENS focus motor. This is a logical disconnect going forward.

On the other hand, both Adorama and BH have run out of DA 50-135 stock which seems to me to mean that the public is continuing to buy these lenses. My DA 50-135 is also working fine - my best lens in fact.

Pentax needs to make it easier for third party zoom lenses to be used with fine lens focus adjustments, since they apparently refuse to work on the SDM issue.

Pentax should carefully consider what Nikon did with the D7000. They made the D7000 operate older manual lenses as if they were all Pentax "A" lenses with auto aperture control. Pentax needs to uncripple the PK mount so that they can meet this challenge from Nikon. Nikon looked at what consumers wanted so that they could lure SLR buyers from Canon and Pentax.

Isn't Nikon's D7000 a STRANGE concept, i.e., build what consumers want and they will come your way According to 2010 Japanese sales numbers on dpreview, Canon profits dropped far more than Nikon. Certainly, we've heard on this forum a few Pentax folks buyiing the D7000 vice the K5. K5 is luckily or skilfully a success in many ways, but Pentax needs to work on its negatives to continue its positive recent trend.
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Phil,

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
When i bought into the Pentax SLR brand in 2007, I made a conscious decision to buy Pentax vice Olympus for only 1 reason: Pentax had 3rd party lens manufacturers and Olympus did not. I felt the competition of 3rd party lens manufacturers made for a healthier lens market. Now i'm wondering if more purchasers shunned Olympus 4/3 SLRs for the same reason i did. I did like their small SLRs at the time such as the 410 model.

So i would say this to PENTAX Representatives who may be reading this: If you want to continue to prosper as an SLR maker, you will make it easier to use 3rd zoom lenses. Or suffer Olympus's fate.
AFAIK, 3rd party lens support has had or has currently little to do with sensor format or ease of use with any particular brand. I would imagine that market share is the leading factor.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax continues to make prime lenses with screw focus adjustments. But Pentax makes no more zoom lenses with screw focus adjustments. And Pentax doesn't yet have the public's perception of a reliable IN-LENS focus motor. This is a logical disconnect going forward.

On the other hand, both Adorama and BH have run out of DA 50-135 stock which seems to me to mean that the public is continuing to buy these lenses. My DA 50-135 is also working fine - my best lens in fact.
I don't quite understand how SDM problems enter into this. . .

QuoteQuote:
Pentax needs to make it easier for third party zoom lenses to be used with fine lens focus adjustments, since they apparently refuse to work on the SDM issue.
All AF lenses, from any mfg, can be fine tuned for focus. The exceptions are some Sigmas which are mis-IDed because of faulty lens protocols in the Sigma chips -- probably because they made mistakes in their reverse engineering protocols. Pentax DSLRs don't make automatic aberration corrections for 3rd party lenses, but that's a different issue. Again, SDM issues have nothing to do with this topic, so why bring them up?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax should carefully consider what Nikon did with the D7000. They made the D7000 operate older manual lenses as if they were all Pentax "A" lenses with auto aperture control. Pentax needs to uncripple the PK mount so that they can meet this challenge from Nikon. Nikon looked at what consumers wanted so that they could lure SLR buyers from Canon and Pentax.

Isn't Nikon's D7000 a STRANGE concept, i.e., build what consumers want and they will come your way According to 2010 Japanese sales numbers on dpreview, Canon profits dropped far more than Nikon. Certainly, we've heard on this forum a few Pentax folks buyiing the D7000 vice the K5. K5 is luckily or skilfully a success in many ways, but Pentax needs to work on its negatives to continue its positive recent trend.
You missed something important here. The D7K does not support non-AI lenses at all, and that's a pretty big segment of lenses. AI lenses are IIRC the analog to "A" type Pentax lenses, so the D7K is nowhere near as universally backward compatible to older lenses as any Pentax DSLR body. Pentax DSLRs, even with the so-called "crippled" KAF mount, can at least meter and use K, M, and M42 (with an adapter) mount lenses. At the lower end of the model range, Nikon bodies don't even support screw drive AF lenses. All Pentax DSLR bodies to date do.

The "crippling" of the KAF mount was at least worked around (with some admitted user inconvenience) with the "Allow Aperture Ring" feature and stopped-down metering. Adding the aperture sensing lever to "uncripple" the mount, though seemingly a popular plea among Pentax old-timers (a term used with all due respect), would add zero functionality to "A" and later series lenses and would make little or no difference to the vast majority of Pentax DSLR shooters. It would, on the other hand, add to cost of manufacture. . . to what real benefit for most shooters?

With the D7K, Nikon copied Pentax -- think about it -- a semi-pro featured, durable, relatively compact camera at a very low price for the camera's level of sophistication -- sounds to me like a Pentax (with better AF and flash system). . . Pentax, ironically at the same time, decided to follow the previous Nikon/Canon model, and priced the K-5 more in keeping with the industry standard for this level of body (but still under the D300 and 7D). I'm guessing that Canon will follow suit with their 60D replacement.

I accept Pentax's decision to drop dual focus drive in some of their newer lenses. The majority of Pentax DSLRs out there are SDM compatible. I accepted Pentax's decision to drop the TTL sensor in the light box (even though I own 3 TTL flashes) as I find P-TTL, even with its faults, more universally usable in a flash system. I have no problem with the "crippled" Kaf mount as I chose a long time ago to only purchase "A" series and later lenses as I prefer to adjust the aperture via e-dial.

I don't think that Pentax can be seriously faulted for its commitment to their user base as far as backward compatibility is concerned.

Scott