Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I have a Bugatti Veyron but it's just not fast enough, what can I get that will go that little bit faster?
Why would it matter to you in "the real world"? I thought you were fond of asking that question whenever someone else is concerned about speed?

03-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Well I just ordered 3 of the 16MB cards (B&H $69). My feeling is, I want a card that is capable of taking everything my camera can dish out and I believe the Extreme Pro's will fit the bill. Especially after slogging thru this thread. LOL

Mike
$69 is way expensive for a Class10 16Gb card.

You meant Gb and nor Mb I assume? You wouldn't even got one image on a 16mb card
03-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Why would it matter to you in "the real world"? I thought you were fond of asking that question whenever someone else is concerned about speed?
Exactly right, my very point. You can split hairs to infinity, but when is fast enough fast enough?
03-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Exactly right, my very point. You can split hairs to infinity, but when is fast enough fast enough?
So, are you trying to say your post was a sarcastic one intended to ridicule those who are genuinely interested in faster cards?

If that is the case, thanks for the input. Now, please, go away.

03-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #95
Veteran Member

So, are you trying to say your post was a sarcastic one intended to ridicule those who are genuinely interested in faster cards?
You must have missed the sarcasm button. Well I think that carrying on about about such an insignificant difference in speed is hardly relevent with anything to do with taking photos. I am entitled to my opinion and have had my say. Thankyou

Now, please, go away.
Touchy touchy! I have not been insulting or rude so please leave such childish comments at home!
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #96
Banned

Not according to Rob Galbraith:
Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD Performance Database
Ever hear of an "arbitrary limit"? The SD specification is full of them. 32GB size limit for SDHC cards? Completely arbitrary. The way the address range is accessed actually allows for much greater capacity, but the SD group put an artificial 32 GB ceiling in there for no discernible reason. (the vFAT file system is not the limiting factor here). Back before SDHC cards were available, 2GB was the real limit for SD cards, and yet manufacturers were still able to pump out 4GB cards anyways by using a funky addressing scheme.

USB 0.5 amp current limit? Completely arbitrary. Most USB devices are designed with 2 amps in mind since that spec has been ignored for years.

The same goes for SDHC transfer speeds. All these implied limits are completely arbitrary. They can easily be circumvented through creative design. While you're sitting there limited to a lousy 17 MB/s in Windows or OS X, I'm enjoying blazing fast 30+ MB/s transfers in Linux.

You remind me of the guy on here who SWORE that SDXC could never be supported with just a simple firmware update, because he read in some technical article that SDXC required hardware changes to support. Here we are a year later, and the K-7 supports SDXC cards with a simple firmware upgrade. Go figure.

vrroooommm... buh bye. You're too slow.

(you should stop taking every stupid little thing you read as the gospel truth)

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 03-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
While you're sitting there limited to a lousy 17 MB/s in Windows or OS X, I'm enjoying blazing fast 30+ MB/s transfers in Linux.

That's great for you. Unfortunately, I am using Lightroom which does not run on Linux, furthermore I'm usually transferring from the card to an external USB hard drive, which slows it down even further. Poor me I guess

03-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #98
Banned

So today my card came in and it is the same speed as my classe 10 PQ1 card and maxes out at some 18 MB/s.

Did a test with RAW files (iso5000 and 1/400th):
- in 15 seconds it took 32 RAW and the light went out after 30 seconds. -> about 18 MB/s
- in 60 seconds it took 67 RAW and the light went out after 31 seconds. -> same speed.
- The difference in file size has to be written away in the 45 seconds time diffenrence since both sessions ending with a full buffer (with some margin) -> 35 files of a litle over 24MB each giving a writespeed of 18,7 MB/s

Also did a RAW+ test and that gave out some 18 MB/s.

So maybe that is the max speed for the system in total.
03-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
You remind me of the guy on here who SWORE that SDXC could never be supported with just a simple firmware update, because he read in some technical article that SDXC required hardware changes to support. Here we are a year later, and the K-7 supports SDXC cards with a simple firmware upgrade. Go figure.
There's "supported" and Supported sort of like you can use SDM lenses on older DSLRs, but they don't really AF

They added forwards compatibility to SDXC (i.e., you can plug it in and it'll read/write it), but it doesn't take advantage of the extra speed AFAIK...the internal limiter is the sensor readout, processing engine, or internal memory bandwidth.
Same is mostly true w/ the 645D and Nikon's D7000 (though that seems to have a marginal speed bump of 7-10% w/ the Extreme Pro SD cards)...
03-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #100
Banned

I have to make just one ad to this story. So I think the SanDisk is just a little faster then my PQ1 card. Just took one little test and in 60 seconds the PQ1 gave me 60 shots (the last one was on the edge) and the SanDisc gave me 63 shots. That is a 5 % increase.

Now the big thing:
I looked at my previous test and the PQ1 gave me 58 shots (in similar testscene)! Filesize has shrunk a little from 30 MB to 27,5 MB. Is this a result of the new Firmware?
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #101
Veteran Member

I'll just put it this way... the K-5 and the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards work fine for me and seem faster than my other cards. I don't bother with the measurbations. I'll leave those things to those inclined collect the numbers. LOL From a strict "utility" standard, they do the job as well as I think any card could do. Good enuff for me!
03-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So today my card came in and it is the same speed as my classe 10 PQ1 card and maxes out at some 18 MB/s.

Did a test with RAW files (iso5000 and 1/400th):
- in 15 seconds it took 32 RAW and the light went out after 30 seconds. -> about 18 MB/s
- in 60 seconds it took 67 RAW and the light went out after 31 seconds. -> same speed.
- The difference in file size has to be written away in the 45 seconds time diffenrence since both sessions ending with a full buffer (with some margin) -> 35 files of a litle over 24MB each giving a writespeed of 18,7 MB/s

Also did a RAW+ test and that gave out some 18 MB/s.

So maybe that is the max speed for the system in total.
Thanks for running the test, Ron, your results are pretty consistent with mine.

I'm wondering if the 18 MB/s limit is due to the camera trying to compress the raw image whilst writing to card.

This would explain why the D7000 is only marginally faster in UHS104 mode (it seems to hover at around 20-21 MB/s according to one report on the Extreme Pro).

If that is the case, there is not much point in the K-5 supporting UHS104 mode.
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Resurrecting this thread: Did I make a mistake buying the Extreme Pro SDHC - UHS-I 8Gb Card?
Is it compatible with the K5 or not? I have firmware V. 1.03 and didn't bother to uddate it to the next (GPS-related) firmware.

I paid less than the current Extreme III (8 Gb) that's in my K5.

The salesperson said that this replaces the Extreme III ?? True?

Comments would be appreciated.

JP
07-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #104

question...

i got a brand new 8GB Kingston into my K5

On turning on, i got a memory card error. It wouldn't format. Moved to laptop, format completed. moved back, still error. Tried to format on camera... failed 1x then succeeded. Then took photos no problem. Formatted again, seems ok.

Normal new card situation or unstable card?
07-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #105
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
question...

i got a brand new 8GB Kingston into my K5

On turning on, i got a memory card error. It wouldn't format. Moved to laptop, format completed. moved back, still error. Tried to format on camera... failed 1x then succeeded. Then took photos no problem. Formatted again, seems ok.

Normal new card situation or unstable card?
well maybe it was just starting off with recognition of the card, and that is fine. Wouldn't worry to much.