Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes, it can be worse: proper focusing screens are usually darker, and some features on them darken before others. it can be worse, because it can get to the point where there's not much even to guess by, it's so dark. i love proper focusing screens, don't get me wrong, but i would advise you don't throw away the stock one. not right away anyway

03-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Do any of you ppl with Katzeyes notice that the focus is off on the long end of zooms? I have heard this comment before

I really want one for my K-r for MF and macro, I just want to ensure that I will still be able to use all my lenses and not have further focusing issues beyond the FF debackle.

Does anybody know what shops charge to install a focusing screen? I really wouldnt want to mess it up...
03-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Do any of you ppl with Katzeyes notice that the focus is off on the long end of zooms? I have heard this comment before

I really want one for my K-r for MF and macro, I just want to ensure that I will still be able to use all my lenses and not have further focusing issues beyond the FF debackle.

Does anybody know what shops charge to install a focusing screen? I really wouldnt want to mess it up...
Katzeye will install the screen for you if you send them your camera. There is a fee but at least you know it will be done correctly, calibrated (properly shimmed), and your mirror box cleaned. Check their site for more info. And no, I haven't noticed focus being off on long zooms on my K7 w/ Katzeye.
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Good to know cheers

03-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
yes, it can be worse: proper focusing screens are usually darker, and some features on them darken before others. it can be worse, because it can get to the point where there's not much even to guess by, it's so dark. i love proper focusing screens, don't get me wrong, but i would advise you don't throw away the stock one. not right away anyway
Well, we are ratcheting up our expectations more and more. Lets be be a little more sensible about all this picture taking in "darkness" When its dark everything is a bit of a challenge, for your eyes, the focusing system and the sensor. Are we expecting a little bit too much now?

I use the Katz OptiBrite for many years now and I reckon I could not live without it any more. In my K-7 and now in the K-5 it performs absolutely flawlessly, macro and long. In fact I experienced many situations where I could override the auto focus provided by the camera (with clutched lenses) to tweak it a bit more for absolute perfect focus. My Katz works very accurately. Also I have no problem with the Katz at f5.6 (But I think OptiBrite may help here.)

But when it gets so dark that I have to use a white stick to get around I lower my expectation re auto focus or manual focus accordingly. It wasn't so long ago when taking pics in conditions we don't think twice about it now was not possible.

Just my opinion, and I do not wish to be disrespectful to others who think differently.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
03-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I agree, just think back to film shooting.. in lower light you wouldn't even waste your film on trying those shots. So now days, shoot, try your best, try a few methods but I'm sure most will end up doing manual focus/High ISO/Wide Open shooting in low light and hoping for the best. Thats why the k-5 can shoot upto 7FPS, something is bound to turn out if you take enough shots!
03-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The AF points are projected by the camera, so are screen independent. The only thing that Katz Eye screens do (and this is comon of all screens with focus aids) is to frak up the spot meter.
The screens are identical to the K7 screen.
oops, never checked this thread to see if my question got answered.

That is incorrect. The focusing screens on the K-7 and K-5 are not the same. On the K-5, the printed brackets that encompass the positions of the focus points are spread farther apart. Katzeye and focusingscreens.com both offer an option to include those AF brackets on the focusing screen. My concern is that those brackets may not line up right on the K-5.