Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Katzeye Split Screen & K5 Anyone?

Looking for anyone who has installed a Katzeye split screen screen, or any other Katzeye screen used for manual focusing, in a K5 and also tried the screen out by manual focusing in the much-discussed EV2-4 range?

Although not the K5, K7 experience seems to me to be directly pertinent to this question due to the nearly or completely identical design of the two bodies in terms of the light path and viewfinder.

I am looking for a reasonable work-around to the low light focus problem of the K5 until a fix comes along.

I am only interested in Katzeye experience as from all accounts, the cheaper eBay and other alternatives are inferior to the Katzeye. I am 52, but still have decent vision (thanks to Lasik) so only the best is going to have any chance of being useful for me.

I also only shoot with fixed aperture lenses, all but 2 of which are 2.8 or faster.

Thanks for any experiences anyone can pass on.,

Ray

02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I took the Katz-Eye out of my K7 and installed it in my K5 the day I brought my K5 home.
Interestingly, it even used the same shim.
It makes focusing an f/1.4 lens eminently possible, which honestly is more than I can say for the AF in any light.
If you order a Katz Eye you will also want to order some shims as well.
I don't recall which shim is in my camera. I think Rachel has a pretty good handle on this.
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Looking for anyone who has installed a Katzeye split screen screen, or any other Katzeye screen used for manual focusing, in a K5 and also tried the screen out by manual focusing in the much-discussed EV2-4 range?

Although not the K5, K7 experience seems to me to be directly pertinent to this question due to the nearly or completely identical design of the two bodies in terms of the light path and viewfinder.

I am looking for a reasonable work-around to the low light focus problem of the K5 until a fix comes along.

I am only interested in Katzeye experience as from all accounts, the cheaper eBay and other alternatives are inferior to the Katzeye. I am 52, but still have decent vision (thanks to Lasik) so only the best is going to have any chance of being useful for me.

I also only shoot with fixed aperture lenses, all but 2 of which are 2.8 or faster.

Thanks for any experiences anyone can pass on.,

Ray
I have the Katzeye split screen in my K5 now. I use manual focus most of the time.
The exact same screen works in the K7 also. I don't know if I've used it in the conditions you describe, but it's definitely easier to manually focus with than the standard screen.
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a Katzeye screen in my K5. It's a big improvement over the stock screen in my opinion. It's not the best in very low light, but in EV 2 & up it's a great help. YMMV depending on your eyes.

02-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to all that responded so far.

I am leaning towards picking up another K5 and a Katzeye plus a shim pack to go with it and giving it a try.

Ray
02-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, I had never heard of these (new to DSLR's) if these work more like traditional/old pentax focus screens I'm going to have to get one, not a big fan of the K-5's full screen focusing/defocusing, nice to have that comparison half circle.
03-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Banned

What I've noticed with focusingscreen.com and katzeye is that the focusing screens for the K-5 are lumped in with the K-7 ones. But what about the option for AF points brackets? Do those end up in the wrong place with the K-5? The AF point positions have changed since the K-7.
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hmm never though of that, or would you always need to use center focal points with these screens?

03-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Katzeye dedicated K-5 screen with K-5 but no shims were shipped. I assume Katzeye changed the K-7 screen when they released the new version for K-5./

Love the screen, great for low light and macro.

David
03-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
What I've noticed with focusingscreen.com and katzeye is that the focusing screens for the K-5 are lumped in with the K-7 ones. But what about the option for AF points brackets? Do those end up in the wrong place with the K-5? The AF point positions have changed since the K-7.
The AF points are projected by the camera, so are screen independent. The only thing that Katz Eye screens do (and this is comon of all screens with focus aids) is to frak up the spot meter.
The screens are identical to the K7 screen.
03-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Installed the Katz from the K7 into my K5.
First picture (1924.Jpg) is AF under Tungston, second picture (1925.Jpg) is manual Katz focus under tungston.

Focusing with Katz is very accurate, I find. I could not live without the Katz screen.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 03:09 AM.
03-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Katzeye Split Screen & K5
Two great tastes that taste great together.
03-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Installed the Katz from the K7 into my K5.
First picture (1924.Jpg) is AF under Tungston, second picture (1925.Jpg) is manual Katz focus under tungston.

Focusing with Katz is very accurate, I find. I could not live without the Katz screen.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Edit: Tungsten is 40watt, ISO 1600
03-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can fully recommend Katz Eye for daylight, with correct shim. I use it with K5. But I donīt see it as work-around in EV 2-4 range. It starts to be quite difficult to focus split prism at EV <4, (almost impossible at EV<2), especially if the object doesnīt have contrast edges.
03-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well in low light it can't be worse than the normal full screen focus that the K-5 has. Without the split prism its more like a guessing game, so annoying.