Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It's in the Post/Shots are up

Well finaly made the jump to the K5.
After watching the reviews and waiting for any bugs to arrise and be fixed it was time, as the Sony Handy cam had died and the investment in the new wide screen TV last year was good the high def video in the K5 was the clincher.

The wife isn't so keen on using the SLR for video so a cheapy HD video camera may come along later.

Got to the Post last night to find a card telling me a parcel was waiting so will be knocking off work a little early today to go and pick it up.
This should allow me setup time before the local Airshow at Avalon this coming weekend.

Have sold the K20 to help finance the update and will also sell off the K10 as well,
Would have liked to keep the K20 but that's how it goes some times.
Still have the istD though and will always keep that as not woth selling anyway but it will get used on my telescope for some Astro photography.

Hanging out for tonight to have a good look and do my setup on the K5.

Nico.

Last edited by Nico13; 03-07-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Changed title
03-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with the camera and welcome to the club.

03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

The K5 does video better than my expensive Panasonic HDC-TM300. You won't need to bother with a video camera. I think you (and your wife) will be very happy with the K5. Good luck at your air show. Post something from the airshow, please. Here is an example of the video I shot with this camera, handheld, new user.
It is really great to be able to do both video and still with one camera, especially on the run. Enjoy your new camera!

Last edited by amycramer; 03-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.
03-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
Well I have it in my hot little hands and just charging batteries.
I bought this camera without having ever picked one up and handled it. I must say it is certainly different to hold from my K10/20 with grips. I guess it was like that when I went from istD to K10 but soon got used to it.
I don't have my grip yet and I feel this, (K5) is definately in need of a grip, but with luck it will be here by Friday for the weekend so off to do some setup.

Nico.

03-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Minunkin Panasonic on hyvä videokamera silläkin saa huippuhyviä videokuvia. Ja K-5 on paras kamera digi kuvauksessa.
03-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just Great

Well two days to have a look at it and get it set up for the Airshow on saturday, my battery grip turned up from Japan Friday's post, a good price there, but had to rush out and grab an SD card Friday night as my ebay order hadn't arrived but that's ok got a good deal from JB HiFi.

All good everthing ready and this new beauty didn't let my expectations down.
Had run around with the lenses I wanted to use the day before and checked focus etc all looked good and it performed flawlesly, the missed shots weren't the fault of the camera but the operator and out of around 700 shots on the day you could almost count the missed ones on your ten fingers as they were very few and far between.

I have none to post as yet as I'm sorting through some issues with my favourite raw converter Capture 1. Unfortunately I need to update to the latest version 6 as V5 does not do the K5 but even more unfortunate is that I shot the entire airshow in DNG and the new version of C1 only recognises PEF.
I have to check with the PhaseOne people to see if they intend to do an update for DNG files from the K5??

Although I just had a thought that maybe I can reprocess the DNG back to PEF as I know you can go the other way from PEF to DNG, at work at the moment so can't check on that until tomorrow.
Anyway the DNG will go through CS2 I have so no real problems I guess.

Image quality looks great and to me I think it has a bit of the old film quality about it, I don't know what others think but so far very happy with what I've seen.

I will process a few images tomorrow and put them on my PBase site and post a link for review.

Nico.
03-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking forward to your shots nico... i just posted a thread asking folks how their k-5's operate outside of the dreaded low light tungsten focus issues..... dave m

03-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
looking forward to your shots nico... i just posted a thread asking folks how their k-5's operate outside of the dreaded low light tungsten focus issues..... dave m
Here you go, a selection of shots from the airshow last Saturday.
Will be adding more as I go through them.
A lot of the in air shots have been cropped for effect as they were all taken with the DA*300mm f4 fitted and most were done in continuous focus mode so very happy with the results.

Hope you like them and comments are welcome.
All processed from DNG in CS2 until I get my C1 updated.

Avalon Australia Airshow 2011 Photo Gallery by Ken Nicholas at pbase.com

Nico.
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Lookin really good Nico! Did you shoot any video?