Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Low Light? How about Zodiacal Light?

The K-5 allowed me my first capture of the Zodiacal Light tonight.

ISO 3200/ F:4 (Sigma 10-20mm) 30 seconds.

I am feeling much better about the K-5's uses for my astronomy type shots.

03-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Could be a great pic, but your 'in your face' watermark ruins it. No one is going to steal it. let us enjoy your art without the 'please don't steal' it paranoia.
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Forum Member

I would watermark something that beautiful! Good shot.
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Breathtaking! Nice cap of Jupiter, also.

03-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Could be a great pic, but your 'in your face' watermark ruins it. No one is going to steal it. let us enjoy your art without the 'please don't steal' it paranoia.
Well its on Flickr that way because it only takes finding your pictures on the web with someone else's watermark all over it claiming it as their own about once before you might do the same thing. With the storm photography I generally do it has happened far more than once to me and sometimes they remove even that large watermark so I believe I will let them remain in spite of your faith that no one would steal it.

I am sorry you couldn't see the picture for what it was beyond the watermark. But many have questioned the K-5's ability to do night / astronomy shots such as this and this seemed to fit the bill for their questioning.
03-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Beautiful picture. How often can zodiacal light be seen? By the way I love the pictures on your website.
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Beautiful picture. How often can zodiacal light be seen? By the way I love the pictures on your website.
I know that having it during optimum viewing conditions is fairly rare but I read that it is best seen just after sunset and before sunrise in spring and autumn when the zodiac is at a steep angle to the horizon. It is very dim as you can see by the amount of stars I collected in that wide angle shot so there are times it may be just barely visible but any light pollution will cause you not to see it for what it is.

03-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent photo! I don't mind watermarks...

Keep up the good work.
03-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
But many have questioned the K-5's ability to do night / astronomy shots such as this and this seemed to fit the bill for their questioning.
Really? I thought it was known to be one of the best (APS-c) in that regard. (bar the FF problem)

Anyway, nice shoot.
03-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice image, wish I could get such clear skies where I am. Just too much light pollution and scatter from all the lights in the city.
03-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Olisi ehkä parenpi auttaa, kun antaa väärää infoa.
03-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marvelous capture and I don't mind the watermark at all. Living in NYC I'm alway envious of starry night skies.

NaCl(I have to drive at least a hr to get away from significant light pollution)H2O
03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Really? I thought it was known to be one of the best (APS-c) in that regard. (bar the FF problem)

Anyway, nice shoot.
Yeah but stars and long bulb exposures present a different shooting situation that there had been few examples of. Canon has been the king of astrophotography and when looking at the new low light capability of the K-5 many people were asking the same questions I had been asking about the K-5 "Do we have a new king?" does the specs translate into the actual astrophotography pictures?

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Olisi ehkä parenpi auttaa, kun antaa väärää infoa.
Does anyone else ever have even the slightest clue what these short nonsensical posts are that he adds to so many threads?
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Does anyone else ever have even the slightest clue what these short nonsensical posts are that he adds to so many threads?
Its going through a translator I assume the guy is doing his best to communicate from Finnish (likely not the easiest language to translate to English using a webtool). Tons of non-English users on this forum
03-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Its going through a translator I assume the guy is doing his best to communicate from Finnish (likely not the easiest language to translate to English using a webtool). Tons of non-English users on this forum
I think his issues often have to do with misspelled Finnish words.

Beautiful photo! These kinds of photos just make me want a K5 so much more than my K7 (which still shoots just fine, just doesn't do well in these kind of settings).