Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Anyone notice what the X100 does above ISO1600?

Fujifilm X100 CLEVER ISOs above ISO1600

Also,

Many of us wish for such a metering mode that simply doesn't highlights (or in the case of a shot with the sun, lets no more than one metering segment be clipped)

basically, it somehow amplifies ISO 1600. from my understanding, any info (highlight) on ISO 1600 is retained while exposure would still be +1 and +2 brighter, since High ISOs (3200,6400) on other cameras would loss some significant detail on the image. in other words, the x100 has more potential of recovering (salvaging) poorly exposed images? somehow suggesting a higher DR potential at Higher sensitivities? it's nice although it still fell short of what the S5Pro could do. this could be the result of using a CMOS sensor instead of the Super-CCD?

03-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #122

I'm browsing just now through this older thread. One (newbie) question pops up that's off-topic, though:

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Then, in LR (Raw now is a must), I use exposure, levels and eventually fill light ...
I am not well experienced with post processing (I assume that's what PP stands for) tools, but I got the impression that using the "exposure" control will just shift the brightness values of all pixels up by the same difference, which eventually leads to clipping of the brightest values, won't it? In contrast, I find that "brightness" works without clipping because it increases the darker areas more than those that are already bright - isn't that what one needs to use to keep the full DR intact?

Also, Falk uses the term "pushing ISO". Isn't that the same as using the "exposure" dial in LR?

Any (PM'd) pointers for further reading on this topic would be much appreciated.

Last edited by tempelorg; 03-24-2012 at 03:08 AM.
03-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
I got the impression that using the "exposure" control will just shift the brightness values of all pixels up by the same difference, which eventually leads to clipping of the brightest values, won't it? In contrast, I find that "brightness" works without clipping because it increases the darker areas more than those that are already bright - isn't that what one needs to use to keep the full DR intact?

Also, Falk uses the term "pushing ISO". Isn't that the same as using the "exposure" dial in LR?
What you say seems correct to my eye.

However, there is an ongoing debate at the Adobe forums about what exposure and brightness sliders really do. It changed dramatically with LR (Lightroom) 4.

Wrt shifting ISO = LR exposure slider and it would clip the highlights destroying the dynamic range:

Correct, but the data is still there. So, using the "Highlight Recovery" tool will make them reappear. In practice, it is a combination of exposure, highlight recovery, brightness, fill light and blacks to tone map the region of interest. Unfortunately, LR4 requires to use a new technique.
03-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you say seems correct to my eye.

However, there is an ongoing debate at the Adobe forums about what exposure and brightness sliders really do. It changed dramatically with LR (Lightroom) 4.

Wrt shifting ISO = LR exposure slider and it would clip the highlights destroying the dynamic range:

Correct, but the data is still there. So, using the "Highlight Recovery" tool will make them reappear. In practice, it is a combination of exposure, highlight recovery, brightness, fill light and blacks to tone map the region of interest. Unfortunately, LR4 requires to use a new technique.
I showed this to my daughter (home for a holiday), commenting, "What a PITA." She said, "Right, Dad. Try to dodge and burn sometime."

03-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Original Poster
. In practice, it is a combination of exposure, highlight recovery, brightness, fill light and blacks to tone map the region of interest.
Yes, tone mapping is the way to think of it. What we are trying to do with this wide DR sensor is HDR-like. We are trying to convey a relative wide captured DR in a much smaller output DR (display & print), without it becoming HDR cartoonish.

The great thing is that you have the flexibility to do this sitting in front of your PC and can retry and rebalance until you're happy with the result, rather than committing yourself completely when taking the shot.

Dan
03-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn I love you guys...and a thread like this! For a guy like me that sometimes thinks he knows everything, I can read this for an hour and not understand a damn thing.......certainly helps get me back in the real world! Sure, it leaves me with a headache, but it's well worth it!
Regards!