Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Interesting discovery RE White Balance

Hi,

I discovered something interesting the other day regarding white balance on the k-5:

When you are shooting in JPEG and you take a shot and it comes up on the LCD screen for the instant review, if you then press the WB button, you can change the white balance of that shot!

I.e. the white balance can be changed for the last shot taken!

I guess this done in a similar way to converting the last shot to RAW.

Note: It sometimes takes quite a while for the display to come up, and sometimes pressing another button or toggling the dial seems to make it appear quicker.

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting.

03-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is not a new thing.
03-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do you mean it's not new to the K-5? Or it's been discussed here before? I haven't seen any discussions on the boards regarding this, and i didn't come across it in the user manual. So i decided to share.
03-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the post. Its certainly new to me and may save a shot next time its left in flash AWB for an outdoor shot.

03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can something similar with cameras all the way back to the K20, and possibly further - it's certainly a very handy feature sometimes!

What I'm describing is somewhat different - when you go into the WB settings, it will show the last taken shot - once you've changed the settings, if you press OK, it will save the previous shot with the new settings. You can do this with most of the imaging settings in the function menu, in fact.
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So it saves the most recent raw file in memory and you are changing the development of that presumably.
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So it saves the most recent raw file in memory and you are changing the development of that presumably.
I'd say so.

By the way, if you press Play or any other button, or if the instant review image disappears from the LCD for any other reason, i don't think it's possible to do the WB setting anymore.

03-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I'd say so.

By the way, if you press Play or any other button, or if the instant review image disappears from the LCD for any other reason, i don't think it's possible to do the WB setting anymore.
That is one of the best reasons not to shoot in JPEG.
Memory is cheap and most photo software around recognizes DNG and many regonize PEF these days.
If you need to post a photo on the Internet or put it in a document, exporting it to JPEG is a matter of a few mouse click work.

Bert