Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #1

K5- I was about to order...

Well I've been trolling the internet prior to my purchase- have a $2500 wish list at B&H including the K-5 about to add to my cart. Now I'm worried seeing all these problem postings. What's the percentage chance my new k5 will be defective- this is not the kind of news I want to hear, and may just end up waiting to purchase D800 later this year- a lot more expensive I know! I'm not buying a $1,500 camera to exercise a warranty issue before I even get it. If this sensor issue has affected even one unit- and it seems to be many more that- I'm wondering what's going on at Pentax, and by virtue their quality control didn't catch this issue, can they be trusted to fix the problem efficiently- like in 7-14 days- doubtful. In other words, "do I want to give them the chance?"

03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-5's shouldn't have the issue- in other words, if yours was produced this year, it'll be stain-free. This is confirmed by our serial number database.

By the way, if you do order, be sure to take advantage of our marketplace offer (see my signature).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed. Pentax realised that such QC issues are bad for reputation and show the commitment to rectifying their problems. And as sensor stains and FF issues become apparent in old stock, they also are committed to seeing through the required repairs - and of course repairs will have longer turn around times since Pentax are a much smaller company (economically) than Canon and Nikon.
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brensdae Quote
Well I've been trolling the internet prior to my purchase- have a $2500 wish list at B&H including the K-5 about to add to my cart. Now I'm worried seeing all these problem postings. What's the percentage chance my new k5 will be defective- this is not the kind of news I want to hear, and may just end up waiting to purchase D800 later this year- a lot more expensive I know! I'm not buying a $1,500 camera to exercise a warranty issue before I even get it. If this sensor issue has affected even one unit- and it seems to be many more that- I'm wondering what's going on at Pentax, and by virtue their quality control didn't catch this issue, can they be trusted to fix the problem efficiently- like in 7-14 days- doubtful. In other words, "do I want to give them the chance?"
No, you don't want to give them a chance, you want to buy a Nikon.
This will give you the advantage of being able to buy really expensive flare prone lenses to get shake reduction and a camera with a kludgy user interface.

03-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The stain issue has been fixed. I bought my K-5 in January it was made in December I think. Stain free.

The current unfixed fault is the Low Light front focussing problem.
03-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The current unfixed fault is the Low Light front focussing problem
...and what about bounced flash overexposing? I just got replacement having ff tungsteen and flash problems. Sent it back..... again. Body has been made on 07 february and had 1.02 firmware.
03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
...and what about bounced flash overexposing? I just got replacement having ff tungsteen and flash problems. Sent it back..... again. Body has been made on 07 february and had 1.02 firmware.
Not something I've tested on my K-5 yet. I must get around to it.

03-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brensdae Quote
I agree with Wheatfield. You need to go the really expensive Nikon route.

Looking at your other posts, you don't have any interest in the K-5. Your just being a troll.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/135557-just-how-big-k-5-...ml#post1415501

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125751-updated-sensor-st...ml#post1415528

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124799-some-k-5s-shipped...ml#post1415724
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hey, no one here will accuse me of being a Fanboy, but honestly, what is the point of telling us that the K5 has had a rough ride so far?
Each buyer has to make his/her own decision. I suggest that the photos in the K5 Photo post, combined with your particular needs are a good place to start your quest for answers...if you are truly interested in answers.
Problems...yes, but if you can find a camera anywhere near this price with better IQ you have been on the internet more than I have, and that is very doubtful.
Best Regards!
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adam, I appreciate you and the forum greatly, but I would caution against a blanket statement that any units with 2011 build dates are free of the sensor stain issue. I received one with a mid-January build date that had a stained sensor and I have read about others here on the forum who have also had this experience. I find the ridicule directed at members who are legitimately questioning whether to buy a K5 now, very, very sad. Denial doesn't change reality. If I and other members who are long time Pentax customers are having similar qualms does that make us "trolls" too? My own questions had to do with could I find an approximation of the lenses I use most often in another brand until Pentax fixes the K5 or comes out with their next body? I think a more fruitful response to the OP's post would be a discussion of what type of shooting he/she does and whether another brand could meet those needs. If it turned out another brand could, then where is the harm? It might as easily go the other way and the party might conclude that there are some lenses they need/use that only Pentax can provide. The ridicule needs to stop and I sincerely wish the moderators would become proactive when they see a thread heading down that road.
03-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I received one with a mid-January build date that had a stained sensor
I am surprised to hear that K5's with a mid jan build have stain issues. Has it been confirmed as a "stain", as there have been reports in other threads about very stubborn dust particles?
03-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
... I received one with a mid-January build date that had a stained sensor ....
Did you include the camera's serial number and note the issue in this forum's K-5 data base?

If one's intent is to play 'super-hero' with the noble mission of saving others from a bad decision, it seems to me that a simple and honest data-entry would be a good first step. Unless that's been done, why should I NOT think a possible deal killing assertion is nothing more than wild-eyed troll bait?

Help me understand...
03-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #13

The ridicule needs to stop and I sincerely wish the moderators would become proactive when they see a thread heading down that road.
+1. Thanks you and agreed. I've been trying to say this for a while now, but you succeeded better than me. You will notice however that (some) "Site Supporters" are given much more lattitude than others... This is quite distracting and adds no value whatsoever.

Note: I brought my K-5 to Pentax Canada on February 7th for repair related to the stained sensor. Although they assured me the only 2 possible outcomes would be that either they fix it locally or replace it; I learned last week that my K5 was on its way to Japan for repair... They also initially assured me that this would be a max. turnaround time of 10-15 days. Credibility => 0

Gene

Last edited by xGene; 03-08-2011 at 06:34 AM.
03-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
..................... The ridicule needs to stop and I sincerely wish the moderators would become proactive when they see a thread heading down that road.
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
+1. Thanks you and agreed. ...........
As Toyota used to say............. "You asked for it, you got it."

closed
Closed Thread