Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5 maybe at the point of its shelf life that it could use a news flash to maintain the sales pace. If it does come out in a few days than I think Pentax holds these updates until they feel the product needs some press.

03-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #17

was going to send in my camera for the sensor issue...but with a 1.03 firmware *just days away* what to do? ok going to hang on one more week....

-raph
03-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
was going to send in my camera for the sensor issue...but with a 1.03 firmware *just days away* what to do? ok going to hang on one more week....

-raph
By sensor issue's do you mean stains? If thats the case a firmware update wont fix that.
03-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I haven't followed this FF "issue" too closely, and will do a quick search next, but just how serious is it?
Thought I'd post a quick question in here cus it seems on topic.

Cheers.

03-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I haven't followed this FF "issue" too closely, and will do a quick search next, but just how serious is it?
Thought I'd post a quick question in here cus it seems on topic.

Cheers.
Pretty serious. I would advise you read Falconeye's report on the fault

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/134215-lumolabs-pentax...published.html

The K-5 front focusses on low light < EV4 - I spotted the fault on my K-5 within 2 hours of owning it.

Here's two images taken by myself of the same car number plate with my K-5 with attached Sigma 30mm/1.4

1/160 f/1.6 ISO6400 - both 100% crops. no PP - subject distance about 20 to 25 feet

Auto Focussing using Live view

Auto Focussing using regular focus

btw - that number plate wasn't even dim light, it was lit by the headlights of my car. K-5's regular AF failed. Live view focus nailed it.
03-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Pretty serious. I would advise you read Falconeye's report on the fault

The K-5 front focusses on low light < EV4 - I spotted the fault on my K-5 within 2 hours of owning it.

Here's two images taken by myself of the same car number plate with my K-5 with attached Sigma 30mm/1.4
Wow that looks serious indeed!
Glad I saw this post since I have a K-5 waiting for pick-up at Henry's.
I guess the thing to do now, would be to test it prior to taking it(no sense settling on a defective camera).

Any tips on testing if the camera has this issue?
I was told this was new stock(with good sensors) and so I'm hoping it might also come free of issues such as the one seen above also.
03-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I was going to go ahead and order the K5 to give it a try......but today I got a call from the North Pole and the caller, a representative of Santa, said that Christmas has been changed this year to April 1st and Santa will be bringing me a new K5......in just a few days! Isn't this wonderful! A free K5 and new Firmware, all at the same time!
Regards!

03-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hey rupert.... i'm jewish, does that mean Hanukkah Harry will bring me my new shiny k-5????
ya gotta teach otis how to use the remote to shoot pics ...... dave m
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hey rupert.... i'm jewish, does that mean Hanukkah Harry will bring me my new shiny k-5????
Yes, and 7 lenses to go with it.
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, and 7 lenses to go with it.
Woo hoo!
03-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a firmware update comes out soon. Seems like it has been rumored to be "coming soon" forever. Eventually, it will come, though as to whether or not it fixes all of the issues remains to be seen.

Is the issue still just with tungsten lighting? I have read a lot on it and that was the indication I got, it is just that it seems like most places are going to fluorescent lighting and tungsten lighting is being phased out, both due to cost and greenness. I think one day, the struggles of tungsten lighting will be behind us, not because cameras are better, but because there will be few areas where tungsten lights are available.
03-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a firmware update comes out soon. Seems like it has been rumored to be "coming soon" forever. Eventually, it will come, though as to whether or not it fixes all of the issues remains to be seen.

Is the issue still just with tungsten lighting? I have read a lot on it and that was the indication I got, it is just that it seems like most places are going to fluorescent lighting and tungsten lighting is being phased out, both due to cost and greenness. I think one day, the struggles of tungsten lighting will be behind us, not because cameras are better, but because there will be few areas where tungsten lights are available.
Nope

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136142-wow-k-5-has-amazi...ish-light.html

In regards to tungsten lighting, you will be rightregarding the 'green' issues, but the hideous sodium street lights will no doubt remain until LED lighting becomes economical for street lights.

sodium street lighting kills night time urban photography
03-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

This is what we need.
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #29

At this point I am losing faith in any fix for this likely to be hardware issue. This was my second question to him. (the first was about the 2 yr warranty)

QuoteQuote:
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
You have been connected to Paul C.
Paul C: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Jim Saueressig: ok, second question
Jim Saueressig: I understand there is a firmware fix about to be released for the front focusing under tungsten light issue.
Jim Saueressig: can you verify that and give me a time line?
Paul C: we have not been given any time frame
Paul C: actually have'nt been told of the uptate yet
Jim Saueressig: can you verify that it is even going to be fixable with a firmware fix?
Paul C: not work yet to us on that
Jim Saueressig: are you able to ask someone?
Paul C: no , japan is the only source for that info
Jim Saueressig: So how do we find out if this camera we paid a small fortune for will be fixed at all?
Jim Saueressig: hello?
Paul C: if a update becomes available , it will be postesd on the pentax site
Jim Saueressig: That's a nice way to avoid a question, thanks
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
At this point I am losing faith in any fix for this likely to be hardware issue. This was my second question to him. (the first was about the 2 yr warranty)
*shakes head*

Why can't they either confirm or deny if a firmware update will fix it or not...