Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
By sensor issue's do you mean stains? If thats the case a firmware update wont fix that.
oh i know that....i just wanted to see if the FF issue got better. didn't want to send away my camera and then a new firmware comes out...and then i'd have to wait to get my camera back to play with! haha to be honest, i have continued to shoot pics despite knowing the stain. and in the cases where i do have stains...i've gotten pretty good with the healing brush in photoshop. still, i'll send in my camera some day (just can't let it go....)

-raph

03-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys are hilarious. Do you really think you're going to get an answer from some call center/chat person? They know nothing. This is no different from the cable company, cell phone provider, or any other large company. Do you really think you're going to get answers from R&D?

The sense of entitlement here is out of control. Issues like this take time to troubleshoot, develop a fix, test, and release. You need to have a little patience. All of this whining about an issue that affects such a small percentage of people and a pretty insignificant percentage of pictures (in normal, everyday shooting) is ridiculous. I'm sure Smeggy will post his license pictures here in response...
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
Forum Member

Uhmm.... I'm getting little concerned to make my purchasing decision on K5... I guess I will just wait it out for now.
03-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
The sense of entitlement here is out of control.
Sense of entitlement? Well hell yes we do, we are entitled to have a camera that we paid a small fortune for work correctly in all normal circumstances (within specs) at least most of the time. And I don't think it would hurt the company that made it any to at least admit that there is an issue and that it is being rectified, at this point we may be stuck with a camera that cannot be fixed due to hardware issues. And if that is the case then it should be priced a lot less for being a defective item.

I do not understand the mentality of some fan boys that think just because the item
is "their company" item that the item doesn't have to work correctly just because it is "their company item". Just because you idolize the item does not mean it shouldn't work correctly.

The camera is an excellent camera, no doubt but it has faults that should be rectified. Many of us still shoot in the "Normal"conditions that this camera is failing in.

03-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by explosive Quote
*shakes head*

Why can't they either confirm or deny if a firmware update will fix it or not...
The only way they could confirm it is if they had one developed that works; in which case they would have published it.
Perhaps they can't deny it because they don't know for sure. i.e. they are working on it.
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The only way they could confirm it is if they had one developed that works; in which case they would have published it.
Perhaps they can't deny it because they don't know for sure. i.e. they are working on it.
But is it to much to ask for an "official" statement that it is even being worked on? Rumors in forums are really not the appropriate statement to be made for a company in regards to whether or not they are even putting in some effort to fix a defective item.
03-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

If I needed a camera I wouldn't wait around for an unverified firmware fix. Buy another camera. There hasn't been a reputable source stating that there even will be a firmware fix - customer support rep in Greece, a friend of a friend? Come on. Pentax wasn't even able to fix auto image rotation on review (available on the K7) in the last firmware release. How difficult would that be to pull off? The flash issue has been around longer than the FF problem yet that hasn't been fixed.

03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

You guys are hilarious. Do you really think you're going to get an answer from some call center/chat person? They know nothing. This is no different from the cable company, cell phone provider, or any other large company. Do you really think you're going to get answers from R&D?

The sense of entitlement here is out of control. Issues like this take time to troubleshoot, develop a fix, test, and release. You need to have a little patience. All of this whining about an issue that affects such a small percentage of people and a pretty insignificant percentage of pictures (in normal, everyday shooting) is ridiculous.
Deliberate minimising of the issue

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure Smeggy will post his license pictures here in response...
Deliberate sarcasm.
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
But is it to much to ask for an "official" statement that it is even being worked on? Rumors in forums are really not the appropriate statement to be made for a company in regards to whether or not they are even putting in some effort to fix a defective item.

+1 for this.... we all have reasonable expectations that there will be a fix to the ff issues... and it would be nice sooner than later, but exhaustive beta testing is mandatory....
but pentax hoya could've helped themselves by releasing a timely statement noting this problem and that they are working diligently to correct this, and will continually keep owners in the 'loop' as to their progress..... and that ain't unreasonable....
damage control is best dealt handled with immediacy..... it only reinforces the corporate responsibility mantra and assuages the fears/concerns/anger of the consumer...... toyota learned their lesson......
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
This is what we need.
Not saying this is any solution, but I have one similar to that and use it on my K20D often. With my 43 Ltd or other fast lenses, I can take perfectly focused photos in almost total darkness. AF works fine, focus too. K5 or not, these are handy for any camera in low light.
Best Regards
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
If I needed a camera I wouldn't wait around for an unverified firmware fix. Buy another camera.
In my case I am 2 days from the last day I could return it. I love the K-5, it is an excellent camera with the exception of a few quirks that can be critical in certain circumstances. Had the mirror slap blur problem of the K-7 not ruined a few one of a kind pics for me (before I even became aware of what was causing it) where there was never going to be a fix for it I would not be quite so gun shy about never getting any "fix" results from Pentax. I just get disgusted with a company not even acknowledging a problem and usually when that happens there is not ever going to be a fix for the said problem.
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #42

Let's take your points one by one.

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Sense of entitlement? Well hell yes we do, we are entitled to have a camera that we paid a small fortune for work correctly in all normal circumstances (within specs) at least most of the time.
It does work correctly, most of the time, in all normal circumstances. Very specific, test induced issues, that rarely affect most people, is not a major defect in my opinion. Cars have more and bigger issues, and they cost 10-50X what a camera costs. Do people stop buying Toyotas?

QuoteQuote:
And I don't think it would hurt the company that made it any to at least admit that there is an issue and that it is being rectified, at this point we may be stuck with a camera that cannot be fixed due to hardware issues. And if that is the case then it should be priced a lot less for being a defective item.
This is just like the iPhone antenna issue. Lots of whining about an issue that's not really that big of a deal. Until the issue can be confirmed and tested by Pentax, there would not be any admission of guilt. These things take time.

QuoteQuote:
I do not understand the mentality of some fan boys that think just because the item is "their company" item that the item doesn't have to work correctly just because it is "their company item". Just because you idolize the item does not mean it shouldn't work correctly.
I am not a fanboy, but that's the typical response of the "haters". I have a realistic opinion of the company I have chosen for my photographic needs. I know that there are flaws out there, and so far they have been addressed. Maybe I don't expect Pentax to jump when I say jump? You, and others think that they do. If I felt that Pentax did not make a good camera, I would sell it and move on to Nikon or Canon. If you feel those manufacturers do a better job, and are "perfect", then by all means, don't buy Pentax or sell/return yours. If you truly can't do your job with a K-5, then return it. If its just a hobby, then have a little patience. It's not like this issue has totally crippled your camera. If it did, then I could understand the outrage. But in reality this is a very minor issue, and the K-5 is 95% a phenomenal camera.

I think that's good enough for me. Every piece of technology has its faults. You either learn to live with it, or move on. That's the reality of today.
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Deliberate minimising of the issue
Prove that this affects all users of the K-5. Prove that the vast majority of users even notice or care about this issue.
03-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Prove that this affects all users of the K-5.
I've never claimed it does.

QuoteQuote:
Prove that the vast majority of users even notice or care about this issue.
Again I've never made such a claim.

however you claimed "affects such a small percentage of people"

So prove it. Over to you.
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I know that there are flaws out there, and so far they have been addressed.
Well given all the flaws have not been addressed I can only assume you are a 'Low Light Front Focus Denier'