Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I've never claimed it does.

Again I've never made such a claim.

however you claimed "affects such a small percentage of people"

So prove it. Over to you.
The fact that there aren't 1000 people screaming about the issue on PF says it all. Just a few very vocal and redundant people. It's the same as "antennagate". Vast majority do not have an issue. If they did, they would have complained to Pentax, and they'd be forced to make a statement.

Have you called Pentax customer service on this issue?

PS. I'm not denying there is a problem, FOR YOU. I believe you. It just doesn't affect my camera, and I don't feel the need to try and recreate it under controlled circumstances. If I noticed any pictures taken under normal shooting conditions had an issue, I'd call Pentax and let them know. And then I would wait for a resolution. I have a warranty, and just bought the 2 year extended warranty. When the fix is out, I'm covered. Until then, enjoy your mostly excellent camera.

03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
...But in reality this is a very minor issue, and the K-5 is 95% a phenomenal camera.
Yes its a great camera (I've never said anything different), but when I can't take a photograph TTL in focus indoors at 10am in the morning in natural light then something is wrong with the £1000 camera I purchased. When a £100 p&s camera can focus in the same situation correctly I'd say its a fairly substantial issue. Its not like I'm trying to use the camera outside of its operational parameters. It indicates that the QC & Testing of the £1000 camera was not as stringent or sufficient and the camera was probably released for sale far too soon.

I think people are within their right to grumble about said issues. Yes I could return my K5 and demand a refund but why should I change camera brand if I am generally happy with Pentax? I would, however, like Pentax to come out and say yes we know of the issue and we are trying to sort it - not all the chinese whispers or user error comments...
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #48
Veteran Member

The fact that there aren't 1000 people screaming about the issue on PF says it all. Just a few very vocal and redundant people. It's the same as "antennagate". Vast majority do not have an issue. If they did, they would have complained to Pentax, and they'd be forced to make a statement.

Have you called Pentax customer service on this issue?

PS. I'm not denying there is a problem, FOR YOU. I believe you. It just doesn't affect my camera, and I don't feel the need to try and recreate it under controlled circumstances. If I noticed any pictures taken under normal shooting conditions had an issue, I'd call Pentax and let them know. And then I would wait for a resolution. I have a warranty, and just bought the 2 year extended warranty. When the fix is out, I'm covered. Until then, enjoy your mostly excellent camera.
Yes of course I've called my dealer about the problem. I'm ready to return the camera for a replacement but I don't want to waste my dealers time and my time returning a camera that can be fixed with a FW update. My dealer is on the case and is also waiting to hear from Pentax.

To say "Vast majority do not have an issue" is clearly hyperbole IMO. I believe you when you say you don't have a problem and if your K-5 doesn't front focus at EV2 then I am genuinely happy for you, but I can't understand why you feel the need to spend so much time minimising the issue on this forum?
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by explosive Quote
Yes its a great camera (I've never said anything different), but when I can't take a photograph TTL in focus indoors at 10am in the morning in natural light then something is wrong with the £1000 camera I purchased. When a £100 p&s camera can focus in the same situation correctly I'd say its a fairly substantial issue. Its not like I'm trying to use the camera outside of its operational parameters. It indicates that the QC & Testing of the £1000 camera was not as stringent or sufficient and the camera was probably released for sale far too soon.

I think people are within their right to grumble about said issues. Yes I could return my K5 and demand a refund but why should I change camera brand if I am generally happy with Pentax? I would, however, like Pentax to come out and say yes we know of the issue and we are trying to sort it - not all the chinese whispers or user error comments...
Instead of posting here every day about it, call Pentax every day and complain. Maybe then they'll address it within an acceptable timeframe for you.

03-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #50

Instead of posting here every day about it, call Pentax every day and complain. Maybe then they'll address it within an acceptable timeframe for you.
I have a post count of 13 since 2008? How have I posted everyday about it?

I have been speaking to my dealer who has been speaking to Pentax UK on mine and other users behalf. I don't pay £1000 for a camera and then spend my time 'on hold' to Pentax to be fobbed off everyday.
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #51

To say "Vast majority do not have an issue" is clearly hyperbole IMO. I believe you when you say you don't have a problem and if your K-5 doesn't front focus at EV2 then I am genuinely happy for you, but I can't understand why you feel the need to spend so much time minimising the issue on this forum?
I could say the same thing about you, for the reverse reason...
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Come on. Pentax wasn't even able to fix auto image rotation on review (available on the K7) in the last firmware release. How difficult would that be to pull off? .
The info display does auto-rotate when the camera is turned, and the image preview rotates to portrait mode (if enabled in menu) as did the K20D etc.

But if you are referring to image rotation to fill the LCD when the camera is rotated to the vertical position...

Is this a bug or a feature?

It is described in the K7 manual and works on the K7, but there is no reference (that I could find) to this feature in the K5 manual, suggesting that the feature may have been intentionally dropped from the K5.
It would be nice to have the option to emulate the K7 in this regard.

dave

03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I could say the same thing about you, for the reverse reason...
In terms of spending a lot of time here responding to the Front Focus Deniers and Front Focus Minimisers then yes guilty as charged and proud of it.

The rest of the time I've been taking pics with my K-5. Did two 1000 shot shoots over the last 2 days. Most succesful. I used my K20D when I needed to Autofocus in Low light though.
03-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #54

In terms of spending a lot of time here responding to the Front Focus Deniers and Front Focus Minimisers then yes guilty as charged and proud of it.

The rest of the time I've been taking pics with my K-5. Did two 1000 shot shoots over the last 2 days. Most succesful. I used my K20D when I needed to Autofocus in Low light though.
You're not even responding to the deniers, as much as just bleating on and on about the same thing in every thread. What are you really contributing here, by posting the same story over and over? Anyone can read that there is an issue.

I'm just presenting the other side. Which is, for most people (again, there has not been an overwhelming outcry about FF, not like the stain) this issue is not a deal breaker or even that big of a deal. And I want people to know that they should not be afraid to buy a K-5. I truly hope that this issue is resolved soon. The negativity, complaining, and entitlement on this forum is just really lame. Photography should be a source of enjoyment, not a bitch-fest. Honestly, bringing the whole forum down with 100 threads about the same thing will not make the issue go away any faster.
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I think the average user would probably not even not notice or would dismiss it as "user error"

The K7 had the "shutter blur" issue and I never had problems or even noticed. If I can't focus (I chimp the hell out of things so ill notice) I will just MF in those conditions or use a flashlight or improvise until the fix is out.

Once this is fixed what are we going to be able to complain about?

The 7D had a bunch of "focus" issue threads and "soft image" threads as well if you google that. Most cameras have some "issue" that gets blown up to titanic levels by it's own user base then generally is fixed by the manufacturer and time erases it for those who buy the camera after the fix. Most K5 buyers will go to major review sites and see this great K5 that gets good reviews and buy it, they probably won't even notice this FF issue esp. if a fix is implemented soon.

I bet there are users with stains who don't notice out there as well.

I had this with my K7 and hot pixels, it drove me nuts then I got a 7D and it has the same hot pixels. After a while I just used RAW which maps them out and no issue unless you use jpeg. Not a big deal really. The 7D makes these little white "x" marks where hot pixels are in jpeg, annoying. Every camera has it's issues.
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm just presenting the other side. Which is, for most people (again, there has not been an overwhelming outcry about FF, not like the stain) this issue is not a deal breaker or even that big of a deal.
I consider myself part of the "Most people" group, and so, I can say without hesitation that the FF issue is definitely a a deal breaker in my case.

And though, I'm going with the hopes that the unit I ordered doesn't have this defect. I'd have no problems leaving it at the store if it does. I mean... think about it... why would we wait for a better low light APS-C camera only to find it can't perform in low light? That doesn't make much sense does it?

FTR. I am happy to have found threads about this issue prior to my own purchase. And though I'm not happy to hear about the K-5 issues. I am glad that I was able to learn about it beforehand.

So for me... I think it is better to inform than to suppress issues, even if that means seeing the same thread titles appear over and over again. Otherwise... those threads would get buried and lost in the mix. and the people who need it won't ever see them.
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #57

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
This is what we need.
Sony tried that. I have a P&S DSC-V1 from them that projects a laser grid pattern to aid in low light focusing. It seems to work well enough but there must be some reason it didn't catch on.
03-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
But is it to much to ask for an "official" statement that it is even being worked on? Rumors in forums are really not the appropriate statement to be made for a company in regards to whether or not they are even putting in some effort to fix a defective item.
It is starting to look like this statement may be coming right behind the statement about the SDM failures.....
03-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
It is starting to look like this statement may be coming right behind the statement about the SDM failures.....
I would be willing to bet against that. I believe there will be a "statement", even if it's just in the form of a firmware update, that will address this issue long before there is a statement or change in Pentax's position on SDM failures.

Last edited by dgaies; 03-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.
03-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #60
Veteran Member

The fanny part is that these same forum members who were running around in circles with an erection when K5 came out pimping it out in all directions, are scared sh@tless to actually get one because of a minor issue that is not even confirmed by 100% of users...

Somebody should open the "Whining pu$$ies club" in the clubs section and start sending all these threads down there... For onces the whole "clubbing" thingy will prove useful...