Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried to contact Pentax Japan directly to get some answers?
Or maybe that is a futile attempt to do so?

I looked for the email address on their Japan website but could not find it.

JP

03-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-5 certainly has the FF issue; I've requested a replacement from Amazon. Even if the replacement *also* has it, though, I'll not give up on the K-5. It's too good a camera. If I have to focus manually in low light, so be it. I have a Katzeye in my K20d for the same reason (k20 didn't do well in low light either, although it was nothing like as systematically bad as my K-5 at focussing) and one ordered for my K-5. The IQ is just *so* good. I was focusing a Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm 1.4 manually when I was in high school in the 70s; I can still do it...

On the flip side, though, I took the K-5 outside with my 50-135 DA* and the focus speed and accuracy was *stunning*. Orders of magnitude faster than my K20D. That's a big win, IMO.
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
The fanny part is that these same forum members who were running around in circles with an erection when K5 came out pimping it out in all directions, are scared sh@tless to actually get one because of a minor issue that is not even confirmed by 100% of users...
I pretty much agree. If a person is excitied enough about the K-5 to get an erection, he might as well buy it and try it out for himself. That's about the only way you'll know for sure if any of the current issues will actually prevent you from getting what you want out of the K-5. If you then feel the issues make the K-5 not worth owning, return the camera and move on.
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #64

on a BIG issue there will be a statement, on small issues companies release quietly a firmware update at some point.

according the serial no. database maybe 10% of informed forum users report the problem. In reality there is probably even a smaller number of users (maybe because they do not realize it).

I expect a very quiet (except in the forum) firmware update. WE force the companies to push there products out as soon as possible. This results in potential problems and this is not only limited to Pentax or cameras.

With some confidence I believe the issue will be fixed but I hear also already the voices - still not fixed, can´t be me, what a bad camera, only "pro" kind of pictures should be possible with suuuch an expensive camera

I rember other voices that said in October already: "lets wait until april, when all upcoming problems are fixed" - seems they might have been right in the first place

03-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I pretty much agree. If a person is excitied enough about the K-5 to get an erection, he might as well buy it and try it out for himself.
Look, I think the K5 is really sexy, but I don't ever recall being quite that excited by it.
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by explosive Quote
Yes its a great camera (I've never said anything different), but when I can't take a photograph TTL in focus indoors at 10am in the morning in natural light then something is wrong with the £1000 camera I purchased. When a £100 p&s camera can focus in the same situation correctly I'd say its a fairly substantial issue. Its not like I'm trying to use the camera outside of its operational parameters. It indicates that the QC & Testing of the £1000 camera was not as stringent or sufficient and the camera was probably released for sale far too soon.

I think people are within their right to grumble about said issues. Yes I could return my K5 and demand a refund but why should I change camera brand if I am generally happy with Pentax? I would, however, like Pentax to come out and say yes we know of the issue and we are trying to sort it - not all the chinese whispers or user error comments...
to be fair the P/s is probaly at F22 in the same situation..

Agreed

Smeggy and Qtopplings are starting to sound like preschoolers and I reckon they should be sent to bed without any tea.....LOL
03-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Has anyone tried to contact Pentax Japan directly to get some answers?
Or maybe that is a futile attempt to do so?

I looked for the email address on their Japan website but could not find it.

JP
great minds think alike ... i too thought about looking at the corporate website to see if there was anything noted about a prospective firmware fix... nothing... not really a surprise.... was i surprised that they would not post an email address for contact, no, they refer you back to pentax imaging closest to where one lives... in my case, pentax imaging usa....
(there are phone numbers to the japanese office, but i don't speak japanese and the long distance bill will get me a quick divorce)
and their response to any news/statement regarding 1.03 (or whatever it will be named)... pentax japan has not informed them of this situation..... bunker mentality by corporate japan..... at it's worst....leaving the local headquarters to just follow corporate orders and divulge nothing...
imho, this is why many are unhappy, it's the woeful lack of timely and informative notifications/statements to it's consumer base which seems to make many feel as though they are being ignored/snubbed, and to some, disrespected.....
this is what tends to strain/break brand loyalty.......
03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
to be fair the P/s is probaly at F22 in the same situation..

Smeggy and Qtopplings are starting to sound like preschoolers and I reckon they should be sent to bed without any tea.....LOL
True. Doesn't stop my other half questioning why I'm using the P&S rather than the K5...

Agreed

03-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Look, I think the K5 is really sexy, but I don't ever recall being quite that excited by it.
Nor I. I was just quoting someone else
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Any gamblers out there? I'm no gambler, but I know great odds when I see them.
Regards
Rupert, this is why Mrs Rupert only gives you $1. when you go to Vegas to gamble. Last time you lost that at the airport when you bet the plane would be late, and it arrived 10 minutes early. You didn't even get off the ground......not unusual for you, is it?
Regards!
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I'm talking about image preview. I want my portrait shot auto-rotated when I twist the camera vertical - like it was in the K7 - or my cell phone for that matter. As it stands I can select to save rotation info (which won't autorotate) or not (display vertical only). A feature? Awesome feature.

My point was simply that my expectations for a major fix from Pentax are minimized when the small things aren't addressed.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this here. Let those frustrated by the FF problem have their catharsis. I'll watch from the side.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
The info display does auto-rotate when the camera is turned, and the image preview rotates to portrait mode (if enabled in menu) as did the K20D etc.

But if you are referring to image rotation to fill the LCD when the camera is rotated to the vertical position...

Is this a bug or a feature?

It is described in the K7 manual and works on the K7, but there is no reference (that I could find) to this feature in the K5 manual, suggesting that the feature may have been intentionally dropped from the K5.
It would be nice to have the option to emulate the K7 in this regard.

dave
03-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Probably burnt out someone's cornea...

QuoteOriginally posted by tm01 Quote
Sony tried that. I have a P&S DSC-V1 from them that projects a laser grid pattern to aid in low light focusing. It seems to work well enough but there must be some reason it didn't catch on.
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Looks like I was wrong - firmware 1.3 is out and my K5 is gleaming.
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Looks like I was wrong - firmware 1.3 is out and my K5 is gleaming.
You still didn't get your auto-rotation, though.
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

It's an annoyance, yes, but it has no impact on my photos. Given a choice between improved low-light focus and auto-rotation I'd pick the former.

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You still didn't get your auto-rotation, though.