Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 from K7/7D

In the next few days I'm deciding which system to go "all in" with and selling off one of the brands. I am leaning toward Pentax right now but have one major point that is causing me pause. That is the Autofocus on the K5. If anyone has a K7 and 5 around and could do something like the attached Youtube video to give a rough look at the focus speed I would really appreciate it. (sorry for the quality I literally held a point and shoot to the viewfinder)

I don't think the K5 is faster or on par with the 7d for AF speed. However I have been using the K7 and 7D side by side a LOT to make the final decision and this is what I am seeing.

7D is decisive, it finds a point and locks with no fuss, however this is only true with the FAST ring USM 17-55, with the Tamron I have it's much slower than my K7 and DA * lenses. USM vs SDM it's no contest.

7D has a lot of options to which point you select or group of points. K7 doesn't have that and has a "basic" selection option, in practice K7 focus works fine once the user adapts it's just a smaller toolbox.

How is the K5? is it less fussy?

Autofocus out of the way I like the Pentax better in most ways. The major factor In this decision regards weather resistance (and I use this a lot). I need to go full on L glass for the 7d. For the same coverage as my 16-50 and 60-250 its going to cost a LOT (3500-5000) for comparable L glass. To complicate this there is no real replacement for the 16-50 in L glass land for a crop frame.

In the past few days the K7 has been outside in the light rain we have experienced in Maine. It also survived Afghanistan with only a small amount of dust getting into my 60-250 DA*. My 7d stayed in a case to much and that bothers me about it, I am hesitant to trust it in rain because I have no L glass. I would be more comforted and confident with the Canon having a full set of L glass. In the end this is a hobby for me and the "expense" of L glass is a line in the sand I don't want to cross. I have no intention of going to a full frame.

Weather Seals:

I wish I could cherry pick options off of both systems but overall I like that Pentax has a no reservations approach to options in the camera body to name a few:

Interval shooting, need a 125-150 dollar timer for the Canon
Catch in Focus, not available on 7d
Hyper Focus program lines, nothing on 7d like that.
Mirror lockup with the timed release, 7d is a pain in the ass to use ML
SD cards, all my laptops have the card reader and CF is a pain for the extra reader you need to carry around. Speed wise I have no issue with SD and they cost a heck of a lot less.

Those are a few that I use often and are the gravity pulling me toward going all Pentax. I have more "Pentax" gear like the excellent grip frame and remotes etc.

Now the 7d has some features I wish Pentax had, like the top LCD having way more information and the button scheme it uses actually is very nice once you get used to it, you can shut the LCD off entirely and get all the information you need from the top LCD.

7D has better video no questions asked. I "tried" the K7 but it would overheat (as well as in live view).

Build Quality:

In my opinion the 7D has a more "precise" but lighter feel to it. The K7 is a freaking brick. The mode selection dial on my K7 feels "cheap" and it detracts from the rest of the body, I do think the Canon feels higher quality.

Note Flaked paint (I hate that).

Thats the body's, now I don't have L glass but the DA* lenses are very nice compared to the EF-S. The 17-55 EF-S while it has great glass feels way to cheap for the price you pay, especially in the focus ring. DA* also have a very smooth dampened feeling when you rotate and are all metal, the EFS has to much plastic (and cost hundreds more than the 16-50). USM is an advantage though.

Size:

I know some people rave about the compactness of the K7/5 and while true with a limited pancake I think they are all large cameras. The K7/5 is smaller but I have huge hands and actually find the Pentax uncomfortable without the grip frame. The 7d fits my hands perfect. I love the Pentax Grip frame.

Some final thoughts:

I purchased the 7d for the second half of my year in the Middle East. The K5 was not yet released and I was unsure how it would be vs the 7D and wanted the AF performance/ISO and burst capability before I left and did not want to ship (very high risk) a camera to myself. It's always cheaper not to have two/switch systems but in the end I got a fair view having owned both. The 7D is a great camera and is better than the K7 in ISO, AF, burst speed, speed of operation. Weather resistance I would say it's not as good but I don't have L lenses, even if I did I don't think it would be with the foam seals vs the rubber on the Pentax ( I have also soaked my Pentax multiple times with no issue).

I didn't mention a lot of the differences in the camera's because it makes no difference to me, the viewfinder is fine on both, no real glaring difference between them for myself. I think Pentax stuffs a lot more options in the menu's.

I'll leave this with some comparison photos for size.

K7 and 7D through the viewfinder AF.

([yt] [/yt] for embed?)

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apologies for the double post moderator please delete the first (error in img link)
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well K-5 is way better in AF and image quality then the K7.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20195454/Son%20-%20optocht/K5D_0112A.jpg

The speed of AF with the K-5 is very depending of the lens you use. Some lenses are veru slow, like DA*55 and not a speedo is the DA*50-135, but then again they do deliver image quality.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

looks like you already decided to stay with Pentax, congrats and thanks for the comparison

03-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The speed of AF with the K-5 is very depending of the lens you use. Some lenses are veru slow, like DA*55 and not a speedo is the DA*50-135, but then again they do deliver image quality.
This is very true of the 7D as well. The ring USM lenses are very fast and do justice to the AF system but the off brand/non USM are a LOT slower. I actually think AF is more limited by lens speed than anything. The K7 is a little indecisive and "fidgets" before final lock something the 7D doesn't really do. I was wondering if that was "fixed"/improved on the K5.

I have decided to get a K5 and ordered from BH. To round out my collection of lenses I will add a wide angle as well and would love recommendations. A DA 12-24 is at the top of the list.
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I knew I need new camera as the K10d was not good enough for me. I knew Pentax was up to something for photokina. If K-5 wouldn't be so amazing, I'd get 7D and make a slow transition to Canon. But there came K-5 and it was the dream coming true. I love the snappy AF and RAW with virtually no limits on exposure, curve and contrast settings.
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
A DA 12-24 is at the top of the list.
Great choice. But I liked DA14 more. Very rugged metal lens barel and I love the cloce focus capability and extera stop of light. Since you already have the DA*16-50 you will only sacrifice approx. 10 of angle on the wide side. 90 is good enough...
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Great choice. But I liked DA14 more. Very rugged metal lens barel and I love the cloce focus capability and extera stop of light. Since you already have the DA*16-50 you will only sacrifice approx. 10 of angle on the wide side. 90 is good enough...
I'll check out the DA 14, I basically just want a good super wide, the 16-50 is good for most general use.

03-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't go wrong with the Sigma 10-20mm.... check out the club:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
You can't go wrong with the Sigma 10-20mm.... check out the club:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
How is the Sigma vs the 12-24? The 12-24 gets really good remarks for sharpness ( I think it's the same as the tokina).

Also, pretty excited for the K5, and I looked at all the stain-pocalypse and FF hell posts and still decided to go for it. If it is defective I'll just use the 7D a little longer.
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'll check out the DA 14, I basically just want a good super wide, the 16-50 is good for most general use.
It took me sometime to get used to the DA14mm and really make the most out of it. But that is really a wonderful lens.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20195454/Son%20-%20optocht/K5D_0178N.jpg

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
03-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

It's not defective. FF is totally overblown (I personally don't have any issues with focus).

Good to see you aren't falling for the FUD campaign that's been prevalent in the forum lately, and are going for the K-5. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

I can't say how the Sigma compares to the Pentax 12-24, but from what I've read it's close. And the Sigma is quite bit less expensive.
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I was wondering if that was "fixed"/improved on the K5.
I have a K-7 and a K-5. I would say the autofocus doesn't hunt as much and the camera is definitely at least 2 stops better than the K-7. I have never tested a Canon but I think I know what you mean by "figets". The K-5 autofocus and be inexact but you can see what I can do with it below.

It seemed to me my shutter speeds are a bit faster at the same iso although I didn't compare them in a test.

The iso perfomance has been greatly improved also.

Flickr: Andrew Dale Richardson's Photostream
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Also, pretty excited for the K5, and I looked at all the stain-pocalypse and FF hell posts and still decided to go for it.
I think ordering from a retailer like B&H pretty much guarantees no stained-series bodies, and the FF hell seems relative to your chosen subject matter (and my firmware-update-sense is tingling...), so I am also this close to getting the K-5 to replace the K20D.
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm hoping that BH has the latest stock so the issues are gone. If not I'll send it back and wait a month for a replacement.

If anyone has any questions or wants specific direct comparison or to indulge in curiosity between the 7d/K7 while I still have them and the K5 let me know and I'll take a few shots.

This was a tough decision but I have everything I want for a system with the K5 and the addition of a super wide angle. Sure I don't have lots of long telephoto's (bigma is fine) but I also never plan to spend 3k+ on telephoto lenses either.

Pentax survived in Afghanistan with LOTS of dust (helicopter landings), thundershowers and I took a lot of photo's from Helicopters and It works great. I was apprehensive to use the 7d because of dust and it's playing a factor now with rain in the northeast, it's light rain or drizzle a bunch here and with a Pentax and WR lenses I have no fear of using it, thanks Pentax for that.