Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Or those who still get serious FF probably have defective units.
That is the big question. Is my k5 defective? Should I send it in and wait a month for it to come back and then be charged for the cost since it was just as good/bad as it is supposed to be.

03-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read many of these (seemingly interminable) threads about the K-5 and its shortcomings (yeah, I know, I should get a life )

From my point of view, and perhaps consumer laws differ in various parts of the consumer kingdom, some K-5's are clearly outside manufacturers stated spec and therefore not fit for purpose. If I'm not mistaken, in Australia we have consumer laws which allow the consumer to simply exchange the unit which has failed the 'spec test' for one which passes same.

Smeggy (please forgive my Aussie familiarity, I recognise we have not been formally introduced)and others, why don't you simply tootle back to the camera store and exchange the faulty unit for one which satisfies your expectations? I'm having trouble with this point. Are the consumer laws so very different in the UK and US?

It seems to me that this is an issue of consumer satisfaction, and compliance to specification. Surely compliance with the published specification is the test of 'fit for use'. No further argument need be pursued.

Am I misreading this situation?
03-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That is the big question. Is my k5 defective? Should I send it in and wait a month for it to come back and then be charged for the cost since it was just as good/bad as it is supposed to be.
Well, it was a no brainer for me in December. My first K-5 had stains and FF under lowish tungsten light, confirmed by at least 100 front focused photos in our living room, therefore I sent it in for exchange. Second K-5 had no stains and no noticeable FF, confirmed by several hundreds real life photos (and even some test photos) made under the same conditions with same lenses and subjects, with same fw 1.01 as the first K-5.

Really, some people wrote 1 metre FF even with F8-11 apertures (which would mask/hide focus issues) - that's clearly a defective unit. If I still had severe FF (5+ cm) with fw 1.03 (and after re-calibrating the lenses in daylight just to be sure) I'd send it in, because this would suggest a hardware or hardware calibration issue.