Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you'd read enough threads here in the K5 sub-forum you'd start to see a few names repeating the same thing and same samples
And rightly so. As long as there are posts, and now threads, denying the K-5 has the LL FF problem than I think it's only reasonable to point out that the K-5 does have LL FF the problem.

Not everyone has followed the saga closely.

03-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I think he has a Common Brushtail Possum, different continent but still a Possum.

Common Brushtail Possum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure, but how does he taste?
Regards!
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Regards!
Possum Fried Rice. Hmmmm. Fresh out of frozen possum around here.
03-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't question your particular results or your opinion.....other than to say that those that question Falc's extensive testing and disagree should be required to put up their credentials.

What I do question is your "Possum". Now I am an old Possum hunter, and I know a Possum when I see one.....I have no idea what that varmint is you posted, but here is a real Possum.....comes out in my shop to eat the cat food every night, has for years. This is his "baby picture"...he is much larger now...

More recent...shot through my office window with a tungsten porch light as lighting....K20D.
[/url] [/IMG]

I can not only spot a real Possum, I can spot a real Possum sandwich! Can you do that?

Possum, the "Other White Meat" !
[/url] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
mmm ....mmmmm..... good ???!!!!! we don't have that here ... is that a good thing ????

03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I don't understand why you would not want to use the focus assist light in low light conditions.
Isn't this what makes it possible for the camera to focus properly in those situations. When would you not want to have the focus assist light come on. The OP seems to have demonstated that it does a fine job. It seems that until we know what lens he was using as compared to the lens used in the liscense plate photo it is hard to make a judgement. I am not sure that this is
a condition that would matter to me.
Jim
The assist light won't ever come on in AF-C mode, so basic trustworthy AF without the assist light in the low light conditions mentioned is a must have for continuous AF. Even in AF-C it would be nice to take shots beyond the distance range of the assist light.
03-09-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't want to seem mean or overly critical, but to my eyes there is nothing WOW! or amazing about these shots. They don't even look properly focused. If I had taken them I might have deleted them rather than share them.
03-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
it's posts like these that inspire confidence in the k-5's ability to 'work' properly in low light conditions..... what lens did you use? you have some superb 'fast' glass .. also, i assume you used your onboard flash, was it set at default settings?
(p.s. exif info would help us help ourselves ) thanks for the post christine, dave m
Thanks - I think those pictures were taken with the DA*50-135 (brand new, just arrived from B&H). I also have some taken with the FA43.

Onboard flash, pretty much default settings. Some were at ISO1600, some at ISO100. There's some loss of detail in the ISO1600 photos if I pixel peep, but they were perfectly focused.

It was so dark I could only see vague shapes in the viewfinder, so there was no way I could have taken those photos using manual focus.

The AF assist light came on for some of those photos. What was amazing was sometimes the camera was able to lock focus even without the AF assist light (or with it coming on only partially during the focus "hunting").

All in all I shot about a dozen photos - every single one of them was in focus. One I accidentally focused on a branch - I consider that user error.

03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
All in all I shot about a dozen photos - every single one of them was in focus. One I accidentally focused on a branch - I consider that user error.
Congratulations on a working camera then, here is how my K5 behave.

Subject, random thing on my table.
Guess which picture was taken using phase focus.

Default values, no processing.
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Regards!

your possums are sure ugly varmints ..not sure id want to eat one..ours are way better looking...but id never eat one of them either......must be sommint in the water in Texas!!

my K5 is pretty decent at 50mm...but woeful at 17mm...
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Congratulations on a working camera then, here is how my K5 behave.

Subject, random thing on my table.
Guess which picture was taken using phase focus.

Default values, no processing.
Hey there Gimbal. I looked at your EXIF and it looks like they were taken at around EV2.5. Your K-5 seems to behave in a similar manner to mine regarding the Low Light Front Focus fault
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I don't want to seem mean or overly critical, but to my eyes there is nothing WOW! or amazing about these shots. They don't even look properly focused. If I had taken them I might have deleted them rather than share them.

Al, surely you are not speaking of my Possum! He looks absolutely delicious to me! A little yellow in the 2nd one, but a few days in the Spring sunshine and he will be just fine!
Best Regards
Rupert
03-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I don't understand why you would not want to use the focus assist light in low light conditions.
I can tell you why I don't use it: it's distracting in real life situations (social, friends and family), it just annoys people. And makes you very obvious. And of course at concerts or in a church or any official event you can't even think about using it.
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #28

I think that these were special Australian photographic possums that were used. They are trained to jump forward several mm when they hear a shutter button about to go off (to offset forward focusing). Yeah, probably not a valid test at all..... (sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I think that these were special Australian photographic possums that were used. They are trained to jump forward several mm when they hear a shutter button about to go off (to offset forward focusing). Yeah, probably not a valid test at all..... (sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
Shh!

I spent MONTHS training them!
03-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I think he has a Common Brushtail Possum, different continent but still a Possum.

Common Brushtail Possum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the topic is focus I'm OT, if the topic is possums, I'm not.

Actually I think Christine has photographed the even more common Ringtail' Possum.
Brushtails are much bigger and much darker brown colour.

Not to be picky, but isn't the nth American version actually an Opossum?
Possum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Opossum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by wizofoz; 03-09-2011 at 04:17 PM.