Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #136
Forum Member

Now that the K-5 is sorted, can you help out us lowly K-r owners to get the similar FF problem addressed? It is the only thing that is wrong with the K-r at this point!

03-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I've been looking a lot on the web for opinions and testimonials about this camera. There are dozens of great reviews for it out there. The epicentre of negativity appears to be here.
If some of you venture outside of this forum to pro and semi-pro reviews of the K-5 and to substantive discussions of photography (not fanboy spec slinging), you might see something that I have not seen in quite a while - admiration for Pentax.

Along with the K-x/K-r and 645D, the K-5 is a Pentax that needs no apologies, no backhanded, "it's good...for a Pentax", no "Pentax is always a step behind Canon and Nikon". It's a damn fine camera, and I will be quite happy when I can add one to my collection.
03-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
Now that the K-5 is sorted, can you help out us lowly K-r owners to get the similar FF problem addressed? It is the only thing that is wrong with the K-r at this point!

I think you will find a new firmware for your Kr is in the pipe already, Adam {site admin} has promised as much..and he was spot on with the K5 firmware update
03-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #139

Has the K5 problems really been sorted? The only real test I have seen here was from Smeggypants and the verdict was no, the problem still exists. Is this just a placebo firmware fix or is it real?

03-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
Has the K5 problems really been sorted? The only real test I have seen here was from Smeggypants and the verdict was no, the problem still exists. Is this just a placebo firmware fix or is it real?
Smeggypants needs a new camera. I've seen enough examples to know the new firmware is the real deal as long as the camera is basically in good nick. Now, where's my cheque book?
03-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Smeggypants needs a new camera. I've seen enough examples to know the new firmware is the real deal as long as the camera is basically in good nick. Now, where's my cheque book?
Definitely the issue. People who have hardware issues with their cameras do not have improvement with firmware upgrades, people whose cameras were basically up to spec have seen significant improvement.

As to the kr, I would expect it to focus like the kx after Pentax releases a firmware update for it. I don't own one, but a little bit of front focusing with tungsten lighting and wide apertures is to be expected if there is not a sensor there to detect the temperature/color of the light.
03-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Definitely the issue. People who have hardware issues with their cameras do not have improvement with firmware upgrades, people whose cameras were basically up to spec have seen significant improvement.
Agree 100%.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As to the kr, I would expect it to focus like the kx after Pentax releases a firmware update for it. I don't own one, but a little bit of front focusing with tungsten lighting and wide apertures is to be expected if there is not a sensor there to detect the temperature/color of the light.
Seems reasonable. I bought a K-r a little while back and right away had severe FF issues. It was off a little in good light and it was terrible in tungsten light. I also own a K-x, so I knew there was something wrong with the K-r I bought as the focus was much, much worse than the K-x. Hopefully there will be a firmwae fix for the K-r that, like you said, gets it at least as good as the K-x.
03-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #143
Veteran Member

please check out the FF/BF thread that Jolepp started...his test with the new firmware shows a resounding success for his K5..others like Smeggy are up for a new body /calibration methinks

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/129738-k-5-user-auto-foc...results-5.html

03-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
please check out the FF/BF thread that Jolepp started...his test with the new firmware shows a resounding success for his K5..others like Smeggy are up for a new body /calibration methinks
It's most certainly not a placebo effect as there is substantial and measurable improvement in terms of low-light FF.

A couple of users, whose K-5s appeared to FF worse than other with the previous firmware, are still experiencing issues even with v1.03. To me, this suggests that there might be an issue with their specific bodies, as Tommot1965 and others have suggested.
03-12-2011, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

There may well also be issues with the accuracy of people's "tests".
How many of these AF tests have been run where they use the center point to lock focus and then read a chart several inches away from the focus point using a lens of unknown field curvature?
Do this and you are guaranteed to see front focusing because you've botched your "test" by not taking physical properties of the equipment into account.
03-12-2011, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I feel like ive been sailing around on a ship called the "K5"..and ive just been boarded by Rupert...LOL.......welcome aboard Matey.....

the whole process of the FF debate was necessary, Right back to Bjan's first post on the subject..and the multitude of closed threads thereafter..

it got us the Fix that the K5 needed...now its fixed its good to see other Forum members that have been sideline sitters board the "ship"

Yes, I have boarded the ship......I did say I would if Pentax responded, and I am a man of my word. Maybe we can all learn some lessons from the sometimes bitter words that have been spoken here in the past few months? Sometimes there has to be some squealing if you want a rotten tooth pulled.....no one likes it, most don't like doing it, but it does appear that the old saying that the "Squeaking wheel gets the grease" is still very true.

We are fortunate that Adam and Staff exercised a great deal of patience with most posters, and did not stifle conversations, even when they became a little (or a lot!) repetitious in most cases. I do believe it was a great benefit to all Pentaxians for now and in future models. No one can say that Pentax did not hear us, and they won't soon forget that we are here.

Lastly, and of great importance, at least to me, we should heal. I have never ever hit a complaint button, and never would unless it involved a clear moral trespass, as in the abuse of children or animals. I keep no list of the "enemy" either during or after a "war", it is counter productive to my best interests, which is to have friends. When I wake up each day, it is a new day, and old things have passed......there is not a Member here that I would deny a response on his work, blacklist, or taunt for past differences, even Wheatfield, who is not a bad guy either, just a little strong headed at times.......like me. Holding grudges, building bad attitudes, taunting and badgering is not healthy for our joy here, or for life in general. Being a valiant warrior is admirable, making peace is even more so.

Best Regards
Rupert.....Peace!
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #147
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking forward to sailing soon with you also Tommo & Rupert. And good words of wisdom from you Rupert. Have a rep point for sharing that.

I do believe Wheatfield's concerns over test flaws are justified - it's been proven time over even here on the forum, even well before the K-5, that some people's methodologies in focus tests set their cameras up for failure.
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How on earth can the K-5 be classed as a failure? I love mine even though my first one was replaced in December because of focussing issues and had the sensor stains. The focussing issue did catch me off guard during one gig in its first week of usage, once I knew about it I was was able to compensate, I just reverted to manual focussing. I am a bit lucky in that way in that I do have a few nice K lenses so manual focussing was not bother at all. The stains did not affect me, I generally work in the wider apertures and not the diffraction limited ones
So the K-5 has had teething problems, it happens, that is why Pentax have replaced all the stain affected examples without quibble under warranty, the focussing issues which I would say had a bigger hit on images being taken than the stains is now under review, the first firmware fix to target that is out and there probably will be another one or two to get it spot on. Unfortunately I did not get or see the memo where I had to open a few threads complaining that the sky had fallen down and Pentax was hiding or ignoring issues and that the K-5 was going to kill my photography. You have to remember that Pentax is Japanese, they have a different culture / mindset to US / Europeans. They do not make a song and dance over everything which I would say in more of an Anglo / US tradition. They will fix issues but only after real analysis and definitely not from some forum toy throwing tantrums.
2 issues does not make a failure, the K-5 has been a sales hit in Europe and especially the UK (SRS one of the bigger Pentax dealers has been out of stock on numerous occasions), it has brought in a whole new raft of Pentaxians and a lot of new names here as well. I do not see a failed camera doing that, if anything the K-5 has widened Pentax's visability to more customers and users. They like the fact that you do not need to use flash at every opportunity to get a picture, that they do not need a 1Kg camera and a 1.5Kg zoom to have the best kit, that they can go out in inclement weather without worrying about drowning their investment. K-5 a failure? not at all, it is probably at or very near the best in class.
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only think wrong with the K-5 is the fool looking through the Viewfinder in most cases..
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The only think wrong with the K-5 is the fool looking through the Viewfinder in most cases..
Any chance FW v1.04 will fix that?