Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look guys...can we talk? Where are the Moderators around this joint? Someone wake them up and close this thread, the Party has started, the K5 is not only "healed", it is magnificent! No, it is not just superior, it is Outstanding, and to think you had to hear it from a damn Squirrel! Spring is in the air, flowers are beginning to bloom, Squirrels are preparing for the Big Frenzy....go get yourself a K5 and stop reading junk stories about "failure" and start shooting the most remarkable camera in its class...and several other classes too!

Look me in the eye, you think I am not serious? I'm as serious as a heart attack, which you might have if you pass on the K5 and later get to try one and see what it can do.
Regards
Otis Squirrel
[IMG] [/IMG]

03-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #197
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Look guys...can we talk? Where are the Moderators around this joint? Someone wake them up ...............
Yaaaaawwwwwwn. Huh? Wut? Did somebody say something?
Surely you see the irony in you asking that a thread be closed because people are arguing.
03-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Surely you see the irony in you asking that a thread be closed because people are arguing.
I can't be held responsible for what Otis types......can I? That doesn't seem fair, and anyhow, who wants to argue with Otis? He did have a point or two that made perfect sense.......Spring is in the air, at least here at 89F today.....sure it was a little chilly last night....63F, but we lived through it!

Best Regards!
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #199
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I still use my K-7 for still shots (HDR etc). I have only used my K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and I don't see the K-5 with much of advantage in that range.
I've asked this question before, but now that more former K-7 users are available to compare to the K-5 . . . is what Jogiba suggests sound thinking? IOW, if one only shoots at ISO 100 and, say, only on a tripod with prime lenses, will much improvement in picture quality be realized by replacing a K-7 with a K-5?

03-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

Its like being in a Hall of born again Christians ....very overwhelming..LMAO
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #201
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, we're still at it here?
Well, when my own K-5 comes along, and I'm getting the added DR and faster AF and better high ISO performance that has been the source of complaints since the K10D, then I'll keep looking back at this thread with wonder...
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh, we're still at it here?
Well, when my own K-5 comes along, and I'm getting the added DR and faster AF and better high ISO performance that has been the source of complaints since the K10D, then I'll keep looking back at this thread with wonder...
Good, and maybe after shooting with it for awhile you will favor me with an answer to my question above (". . . if one only shoots at ISO 100 and, say, only on a tripod with prime lenses, will much improvement in picture quality be realized by replacing a K-7 with a K-5?")
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Good, and maybe after shooting with it for awhile you will favor me with an answer to my question above (". . . if one only shoots at ISO 100 and, say, only on a tripod with prime lenses, will much improvement in picture quality be realized by replacing a K-7 with a K-5?")
Ok, Les, I'll answer you. As an owner of both K5 and K-7, I can tell you that on a tripod, at ISO 100, there will be very little difference in IQ.

(Except if the DR of the shot is too much for the K-7, or if the subject requires shooting at 7 frames per second, or if the subject requires quicker and more responsive auto-focus, nope, not a lot of difference at all. )

03-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Ok, Les, I'll answer you. As an owner of both K5 and K-7, I can tell you that on a tripod, at ISO 100, there will be very little difference in IQ.

(Except if the DR of the shot is too much for the K-7, or if the subject requires shooting at 7 frames per second, or if the subject requires quicker and more responsive auto-focus, nope, not a lot of difference at all. )
Thanks Wiz. Would you say most of the IQ advantage the new sensor offers is to low light shooting?
03-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Its like being in a Hall of born again Christians ....very overwhelming..LMAO

Hallelujah! Amen!
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hallelujah! Amen!
Lmao, good one mate
03-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would you say most of the IQ advantage the new sensor offers is to low light shooting?
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but my son (Canon 40D user) just called in for a free lunch and a play with the new K5 (He has now taken as nearly as many pics with it as I have!!). He took a roughy, of the wall & skirting board, in between the bed and bedside table at 6400ISO (too rough to show here) and thought it was better than 1600 on the 40D. I didn't note the exposure, and it is now deleted, but there isn't much light down there!
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Thanks Wiz. Would you say most of the IQ advantage the new sensor offers is to low light shooting?
I have both a K20D and K-5

under normal circumstances there's not a lot of difference between IQ at ISO100, but the K-5 comes into it's own when you want to boost low light areas. The hgiher dynamic range really makes a difference.

I find the K-5 about 3 stops better than the K20D. at lower ISOs like ISo100 this is not so immediately apparent, but it makes a huge difference at ISDO6400. K-5 ISO6400 is a good as the K20Ds ISO800
03-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say the new sensor is superior in every way I can think of. Sure, at low ISO there isn't a lot of real world difference in the IQ, but the dynamic range of the new sensor is just astounding. Sony have done a fine job with the technology. (Pity they stuffed up the manufacturing and left a lot of sour tastes in a lot of mouths with the stains issue.)

I took a shot which I accidentally under-exposed by 4 stops. In light-room I was able to bring that exposure back up to 'correct' and there was negligible cost in terms of noise.

I keep shaking my head in wonder saying things like 'this bloody camera can shoot in the dark!' Its amazing in low light.
03-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #210
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Low ISO is not where much will be gained in the newer model cameras. If ISO 100 is all one would be shooting at, the K10D would be the most cost-effective tool available to capture the landscapes at hand. Suffice to say, the majority of photographers use high ISO settings often enough to justify having a K-5.